You may have heard on the TV news that sun exposure is extremely dangerous, it will give you cancer and that the only way to avoid it is to use very high sunscreen protection. You have been bombarded many times with this news by media and of course you believe it. My mum which is a rawist and she teached me since I was 15 unfortunately fall for it, and so almost everybody I know.
Millions of people worldwide accept as ultimate truth everything they read from magazines , watch on TV or hear on radio. If you are reading this message right now you need to know that media play a bigger role in your life and so in your health.
We are the most conditioned, programmed beings the world has ever known. our thoughts and attitudes are continually being shaped and molded.
Since age 15 I never fall for any conventional wisdom and the results has been amazing, for over 20 years I never has any single flu, cold, cold sore, sore throat etc etc. My immune system is extremely strong cause I always abide by the laws of nature, refusing medicines, doctors and anything artificial and loaded with toxic chemicals. I’m 35 I live in UK and I never been registered with any GP, I just decided to take control of my own health!
Let me share with you 2 truth about sunscreen lotions and sun exposure:
1) Sunscreen lotions are packed with toxic chemicals. One study found that the main chemical used in sun lotions to filter out ultraviolet light may be toxic—and the chemical’s toxicity doubled when exposed to sunlight. Octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC), which is present in 90 percent of sunscreen brands, was found to kill mouse cells even at low doses in a study by Norwegian scientists. When researchers shone a lamp for two hours to simulate midday sunshine, even more cells died.
2) Sun exposure is one of the most healthy and beneficial natural practices in the world. The Sun is the most efficient source of Vitamin D Vitamin D is essential to good health. Lack of vitamin D is associated with diseases like rickets, osteoporosis, and osteomalacia. Few foods have vitamin D. Attempts have been made to add vitamin D to milk but a US study showed that only 30% of samples tested contained sufficient vitamin D.
Vitamin D has a lifespan of only about one week.The use of a sunscreen of SPF 8 or more has been shown to inhibit vitamin D production.
- The lower light levels of the winter seasons have been shown to cause a psychological state known as S.A.D. Individuals with S.A.D. suffer from prolonged periods of something akin to depression. Symptoms can include poor appetite and significant weight loss, or the reverse; insomnia, or increased sleep; agitation, or retardation, of movement and thought; loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities or decrease in sexual drive; fatigue and loss of energy; feelings of worthlessness, self-reproach, or excessive or inappropriate guilt; diminished ability to concentrate, or indecisiveness; and in extreme cases, recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts. Normal indoor lighting does not help cure S.A.D. However, exposure to sunlight does.
Rosenthal N.E., Journal of the American Medical Association 1993, 270(22); pp.2717-2170
- Exposure to the sun has been shown to help people with sleep disorders.
Boulos Z., S.S.Campbell, A.J.Lewy, M.Terman, D.J.Disk, C.I.Eastman, Journal of Biological Rythms 1995, 10(2): pp.167-176 United States Congress, Office of Technology Assessment 1991; OTA-BA-463; pp.1-249
- Sun exposure has been shown to reduce P.M.S. in some women.
Parry B.L., S.L.Berga, N.Mostofi, P.A.Sependa, D.F.Kripke, J.C.Gillian, American Journal of Psychiatry 1989 146(9); pp.1215-1217
- Psoriasis is a common skin disease which causes bright red dry plaques of skin. It is usually chronic and difficult to treat. However, UV light (present in sunlight) can help reduce the appearance and discomfort of psoriasis.
Gonzales E., J.A.Parish “UV Phototherapy”, Renigk, H.H. Jr., Malbach H.I. eds. 1991; pp.519-532)
- People who live in areas of the world that get more sunlight have been shown to have a lower death rate from ovarian, breast and colon cancers. One researcher even suggested that recent increases in some cancers may be due, in part, to sunlight deprivation.
E.M.John, G.G.Schwartz and D.M.Dreon ””Vitamin D and Breast Cancer Risk” Northern California Cancer Center, ‘Era of Hope’ Conference, Oct.31-Nov.4, 1997 Garland F.C., E. Gorham “Biologic Effects of Light”, 1993, E.G.Jung and M.F.Hollick eds. Walter de Gruyter, New York 1994, pp.509-516 Garland F.C., “Geographic variation in breast cancer mortality in the United States”, Preventive Medicine, 1990; 19:614-622 Garland F.C., “Do sunlight and Vitamin D reduce the likelihood of colon cancer?”, International Journal of Epidemiology, 1980; 9:277-231 Garland F.C., “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and colon cancer: 8-year prospective study”, Lancet, 1989; 2:1176-1178
- People with outdoor occupations have been shown to have lower incidence of melanoma. It was also observed that melanoma seldom occurs on areas of the skin that get regular sun exposure. However, it is important to note that this is true only of moderate sun exposure in those who are able to develop a tan.
D.Vagero et al. “Melanoma and other tumours of the skin among office, other indoor and outdoor workers in Sweeden” Br. J. Cancer 1986, 53:507-512 H.G. Ainsleigh “Beneficial Effects of Sun Exposure on Cancer Mortality” Preventive Medicine 1993, 22:132-140 F.C.Garland, M.R.White, C.F.Garland, E.Shaw and E.D.Gorham “Occupational Sunlight Exposure and Melanoma in the U.S. Navy” Archives of Environmental Health, 1990, Vol.45, No.5, pp.261-267 G.P.Studzinski and D.C.Moore “Sunlight; Can It Prevent as well as Cause Cancer?” Cancer Research 1995, 55:4014-4022
- Can you believe it? Some studies have shown that malignant melanoma is inhibited by vitamin D and sun exposure.
Eisman et al. “Suppression of in-vitro growth of human cancer solid tumours by 25-hydroxyvitamin D ” Cancer Research 1987, 47:21-25 F.C.Garland, M.R.White, C.F.Garland, E.Shaw and E.D.Gorham “Occupational Sunlight Exposure and Melanoma in the U.S. Navy” Archives of Environmental Health, 1990, Vol.45, No.5, pp.261-267 G.P.Studzinski and D.C.Moore “Sunlight; Can It Prevent as well as Cause Cancer?” Cancer Research 1995, 55:4014-4022
You might wonder why all this information isn’t more widely available. All we hear about are the dangers of skin cancer. The reality is that the sun has no lobby group. There is no profit from the sun and as such, no funds or groups to promote it. (There is one exception in the small indoor-tanning industry.)
Promoting the dangers of skin cancer is a very profitable strategy for the sun-block industry. It is estimated to be a five billion dollar industry.
evidence that the sun may not be as bad as suggested continues to show up. Not long ago, the British Medical Journal, a publication which is very well respected around the world, published an article which suggested that moderate exposure to the sun may be beneficial. A recent study by Dr. Micheal Holick from the Boston University School of Medicine concludes that the vitamin D generated by moderate sunshine exposure helps to ward off several debilitating and sometimes deadly diseases such as osteoporosis, hypertension, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, depression and colon, prostate and breast cancer.
Certainly, the sun can have negative effects. Anything can when abused. Excessive exposure and sunburn can cause health problems and great discomfort.
My personal approach to sun exposure has been very simple over the years, I never ever used sunscreen lotions in my life and I never been scared of sun exposure, I’m 35 and people I meet often think I’m 25. I find sun extremely beneficial to clear up my skin, I sunbathe every day when I can for at least 1 hour, my favourite time is in the morning from 10am to 11am, I find the sun very beneficial in clearing up my skin, to heal cuts and bruises. I find the sun very important to strenght my bones, I never broke any single bone in my body during my life and I played lots of soccer and did many dangerous sports over the years. My bones are so strong that during a soccer match many player getting into a contrast with me and in touch with my leg’s bones they often end up on lying on the ground in excruciating pain, It can be quite embarassing sometime :-)
I hope this message will be beneficial for many people, please don’t hesitate to contat me if I can be of any help