Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Depression and Anxiety on a raw diet

I have decided to go raw starting tomorrow. I have been vegetarian for about two and a half years and was vegan for about four months a year or so ago- I have never felt as good as I did when I was vegan and I can not wait to get that back, this time adding only the use of raw vegan foods. I was curious if this has helped anyone with anxiety and depression issues and how (because I am certain it does help with such things), I saw a bit of a difference when I was vegan which I was quite pleased with seeing as anxiety and depression have been a struggle for my entire life. Thank you all so much in advance!

Also, If anyone is on an antidepressant and has noticed this diet assisting to ease the side effects etc....

Comments

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Yes, grains gives me problems with anxiety and depression. On my almost vegetarian diet (lost of grains and cooked food very little meat and dairy) I always wake up at 4 o clock of a nightmarish dream with raw food it's gone. Eating grains and I have those dreams again. Weird but it's true.

• YES! I have been high raw for about a year now and it has helped me tremendously. I had SEVERE anxiety (as well as moderate depression) which is nearly gone now. I don't think eating raw is the ONLY thing I have done that has helped this but it has definitely been a factor. Eating mostly raw has increased my mental clarity to a level I have never experienced before. It feels great. I wish you the best! Anxiety and depression are NO FUN to live with!

• As long as you do it in a healthy way, and do not let "being raw" become something else to be anxious about- yes it can be part of what helps you! None of us can say for sure for you. Depression and such can be such complex problems that may be caused by different sources. IF you are lucky, it will make a significant difference once you are eating whole, fresh, nutrient rich food. IF there are many things going into your problem adjusting your diet may just be one step in recovery. Don't be hard on yourself which ever way it goes.

You may find that certain foods contribute more to problems. I seem to feel much better after cutting wheat out (both cooked and raw). But that is just me, it may not help you. Possibly 100% will work for you, or like me, you may find that high raw (but not 100%) suits you. Realize that what works for one of us may not apply to you.

Also explore other solutions too- exercise, meditation or yoga. Music, art- something that helps get your mind more centered. For some people looking into a type of religion (or looking more into the one they where raised on). For others, religion just doesn't interest them.

But, do get some exercise, enough rest, and try to keep a good network of friends or family to help you emotionally.

When and if you ever go off your meds (I was on medicine for depression for several years before being able to come off them) be careful. Talk to your doctor and set up a plan. Some meds can really be bad to just stop cold turkey. Also- make sure family knows you are coming off of your meds. This can be a rough time, and someone close to you should know what is going on.

Also- try different "forms" of raw to see what works for you.

Good luck:-)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I wrote about this on my blog awhile back. I do notice that raw foods help my depression.

http://bittsblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-raw-helped-my-depression.html

• I have been "clinically depressed" for years and was on hardcore medication for depression and insomnia (30mg Remeron/day) for years and have recently weaned off the medication (you may have noticed I've gone in my posts from happy camper to hardass :). Raw gives me the motivation to get out of bed and feed myself, the energy to do positive things like exercise and yoga but has by no means stopped the random bouts of irrational sadness or anger.

Raw food, exercise and yoga are all positive things and having positive things in your life are obviously beneficial when dealing with depression but I have yet to experience a full recovery from my so-called "illness."

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i was diagnosed with depression when i went to see a therapist (16 years old, eating disorder, suicidal thoughts- basically what they say is "depressed"), but never went on medicine for it. even before raw, i was never big on medicine for solving a problem so i just refused to see the psychiatrist. i just did therapy for 3 years and that basically changed my life. i wasn't vegetarian or even vegan then, but i think with changing my lifestyle i was able to appreciate myself more and not do abusive things to my body anymore.

• Regarding antidepressants, it's important to consult with your doctor or healthcare professional. They can provide personalized advice on how a raw diet may interact with your medication and whether it could help ease any side effects. Your healthcare provider is the best person to guide you in making informed decisions about your diet and medication.
    If you're interested in learning more about mental health, including depersonalization and derealization, you can check out this https://fherehab.com/learning/depersonalization-derealization. It might give you some valuable insights and information.
    Wishing you the best on your raw vegan journey! Remember, everyone's experience is different, so listen to your body and give yourself time to adjust.

• I have struggled with depression and anxiety for over 50 years. Handled it pretty well when I was raw 20 years ago. Stopped the lifestyle because I was tired of making two different meals every night. I decided to jump back on the raw train, this week, and I have noticed a huge difference in how I feel. I follow the Hallelujah Diet format for eating - juice for breakfast - fruit for lunch and something plant based for dinner. I never feel as good after dinner as I do after the raw meals. Listen to your body, visit an acupuncturist, if necessary - they helped me, a lot with just a couple sessions. You will feel great being raw. I went without a single illness when I was raw, before. I certainly miss that aspect as I seem to draw sickness like honey draws ants.

ClaireT
  • jumubegumjumubegum Raw Newbie

It's great to hear that you're trying out a raw vegan diet! Making positive changes in our lifestyle can have a significant impact on our well-being. While I'm not a medical professional, I've heard from many people that adopting a plant-based diet, like raw vegan, has helped them with anxiety and depression.

ClaireT
  • jumubegumjumubegum Raw Newbie
    jumubegum said:

It's great to hear that you're trying out a raw vegan diet! Making positive changes in our lifestyle can have a significant impact on our well-being. While I'm not a medical professional, I've heard from many people that adopting a plant-based diet, like raw vegan, has helped them with anxiety and depression.

Remember, every individual's experience is unique, and it's essential to listen to your body and consult with a healthcare professional if needed. If you ever feel overwhelmed or need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out to the mental health hotline. They provide support and can guide you in your journey to better mental health.