Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Helloooo Raw Christians....

Comments

• Thanks Yarachim 1 for the refrence. Your point about where people live and the nutritional requirements to surrvive that climate makes alot of sense. For now, I cannot imagine giving up the occassional baked fish. -Mostly because I love it, but also because I have PCOS, and I think that solid protein is helpful in aiding my body to remove the unused sugars in my body that may not have been broken down properly. Thanks for your input.

May you all have a wonderfully blessed day. ~Jesusfreak!

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

Jesusfreak,

where did you read, or summize that protiens will help remove sugars? just curious.

Emily

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Caroline~thanks for sharing that with us. I will definitely have to see if I can find that, I live in a really small town so library is pretty limited, but maybe I can get it on loan or something. It always amazes me how much meaning we lose with the English language. The biggest example that always hits me is the word "love". We say we love our kids or spouses and then with the same word we say we love clothes or our pet or the uber-yummy "I Yam A Burger". So many different contexts but the same word. My pastor is pretty adept at the Greek language, and he will go over a verse that I have heard a hundred times before and thought I had all figured out, but then he will break it down into its original Greek words and meanings and then all of a sudden, there is a whole new signifigance to it.

Lol, and to get this back to being a "food" post like it is supposed to be, I will just say that it is suprising (although it shouldn't be) to me how much faith/beliefs and diet/health are interwoven. Now I'll hush up!

• Hi - I am a Christian (personal relationship w/Jesus Christ) and am trying to do a raw food lifestyle but feel completely lost. For some reason I so struggle to apply what I've been reading about raw foods. I've read so much information that I feel like I have paralysis of analysis if that makes sense.

I realize a raw food diet is going to be different for each of us but where to start?

I live in Ironwood, MI - is there anyone somewhat close to where I live?

• Emily,

I am a Christian and I am about 80% raw. If you have not already done so, I would definitely check out Hallelujah Acres. I had the opportunity of visiting Shelby, NC, were Halleluah Acres has its headquarters, for a wonderfully informative weekend. The founders, Dr. George and Rhonda Malkmus, are wonderful people. In fact, I have never had an unpleasant experience with anyone connected with hacres. Their customer service people and others are so willing to help anyone on their journey to achieve their healing through adopting a lifestyle that will help our bodies heal themselves. I was looking for blended salad receipe's when I came across the Gone Raw website. What a blessing!!! This past weeked, I had another wonderful opportunity to share in two raw food classes, which were instructed by Gideon and Jackie Graff. The Graffs' are top rated raw food chefs. The Graffs are also conducting a raw food revival at hacres in November. The Graffs live in Roswell, GA. They are also ready, willing and able to answer any questions you may have regarding raw food prep. I think I have said enough for now. Thanks for your attention to my comments. I am so excited to be going Raw. Praise God!!!

With the love of Jesus,

I am your sister in the Faith,

Gwen

Yeah,

juicefan already recommended them. There is actually a place near me, in So Cal, where you go to their home for a week. it's a lot of trial and error. Just went and got the black cohosh, a tincture and it helped some right away, so it has to be the tomato sauce. I learned more about night shade vegtables. I had heard that, and then the lady at the store had me read about tomatoes. Not all foods are for all people, no "One size fits all".

so to start with haacres, just get the $200 book?

emily

They have a $200 book?? Lol, I'm the biggest cheapskate ever so I know I didn't spend that much on a book. I have Recipes for Life and Why Christians Get Sick but I just bought them at a local family Christian store. You could start for the grand ol' price of FREE =D by signing up for their newsletter they send iut twice a month...thats chocked full of great information, recipes, testimonies and the like. I had the magazine subscription, which was a fantastic publication, called Back to the Garden, but I've been tightening my belt lately so I didn't renew but kinda miss it.

https://shopping.hacres.com/categories/categoryKey/3465

Emily, I just checked their site, the most expensive book I'm seeing is like $25, and anyone of these by Dr. George Malkmus would be helpful. I really recommend Why Christians Get Sick and Recipes for Life...From God's Garden. They were two eye opening, life changing books for me. But, even if you didn't want to get any books right now, you can get the free newsletter and they have recipes on their site.

• From one newbie to another, perseverence is the key. Creating dishes w/out cooking is like a whole new science. I had to read, re-read and then read again. After that I just started experimenting. It's been challenging & liberating all at the same time. Today I felt better than I have in about 2 years, but at the end of the day, my daughters were up in arms regarding the lunches I had sent to school w/ them. Yes...I admit they were bland. I asked for grace and reminded them why we're doing this and will try again tomorrow. Keep it up! I'm certain, nothing but healing and feeling well can come as a result.

• Wow, I had no idea there were so many raw Christians here! I've been lurking for a few days, but when I saw this topic decided to sign up. I'm interested in eating more raw food, but not going 100% raw, as I don't see any reason to give up healthy foods like beans and bread. I'm glad to know that there are other Christians who believe that their bodies are God's temples!

Jesus Freak, I think it was some kind of book with DVD that I saw. oh good, thanks for getting me that, I will check it out.

One thing that is concerning me is I have dropped about 8 pounds since I started, and I was thin already. down to 111, and am 5'5". hopefully when I get it down what I can and can't eat I will put some weight back on. and too, I can't really do nuts. I did o.k. on tahini yesterday though.

have a blessed day,

luv emily

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hello! I am raw Christian, I feel that God led me to this diet aswell, just as many of you feel. There is alot of sickness in my family, esspecially where the digestive system is concerned, and I was very much on the path to the same type of illnesses. But this way of eating has definatly helped me to avoid alot of pain. I am thankful that God has lead me to this, and alowed me to be in a place where I have the means to do it! Praise Jesus

Welcome DD,

it's a nice place to be. we are a nomily that's for sure.

emily

Hey missemy, thank you very much for the welcome! I am sorry to hear about your weight loss, it may just be temporary whilst your body is adjusting. How long have you been raw? It is definatly a game of trial and error untill you figure out how your body works. I hope you feel well soon!

Welcome Sivart and Dancin! It is great see a Christian fellowship building on here! All the more reason for me to be obsessed with this site!

Emily, I just went through a period of rapid and crazy weight loss too. I've lost 20 pounds in the last month. I had maybe 7 pounds to go to get back to where I was before I had my baby and then all a sudden, I was way under my goal weight. Then, I started having all kinds of other symptoms so I said enough was enough, and researched the safest way to do a juice fast while nursing. I have to do a slightly modified one but so far I've stopped losing and all the other things are seeming to get under control again too. It really is a game of trial and error, so frustraing at times, but then when you get that right combination for you its so worth it! Have you ever tried adding a source of good fat to your green smoothie? Thats one way to slip in some extra calories without eating harmful foods. I usually add an unrefined extra virgin coconut oil to mine.

Thanks DD and juicefastfan....Yeah. Truthfully I think it is the fear of hearing "You too thin" from my bossy SIL (And I do mean bossy, she attacked me at teh Dinner table on our Hawaiian cruise cuz I ordered lukewarm water-it was so bad I had to leave the table, she later apologized and at least her children got to see how she is towards me). Years ago when I was a vegan and did colonics I got pretty thin. oddly enough I am now fitting into the same clothes, SO, I know I will hear it again at Thanksgiving. She lives over 2 hours away so we only see them basically at the Holidays. I may opt out, or just go in with an "Oh, you just try to say anything attitude". I really just don't want to loose anymore, it's a little scary. And I eat at least one avacadoa a day, bananas, Dr (who is also raw) said to add dates but they feel sticky inside, weighty. I can't eat nuts until I get through the detoxing phase, as they just sit there. I had to do a castor oil pack last night cuz I had some, now I have to wash the sheet as I fell asleep with it on and it fell off onto the sheet.....oh I crack me up. Thanks for the support.

oh, DD, just 3 weeks.

in Christ,

luv emily

• Hi missemy, I was also diagnosed w/ pcos about 7 years ago. Fortunately my docs have been very educational for the most part. Apparently my liver doesn't process sugars in the way that it should, therefore dumping the unused sugars right out around the my lower belly >;( One of my docs said that the proteins bind themselves to the sugars that would other wise just sit and sit and sit there eventually turning to fat. When I was diagnosed I was walking or running almost every day of the week yet putting on weight like no tomorrow. It was a very stressful, somewhat traumatic time in my life. The only place I've seen testimonies of pcos being "healed" is from raw foodist. I put healed in quotations because consistently they all stated that when they slack off, eating sugars & junk they can see a very quick return of pcos symptoms. Nonethelss, praise God! that He's shown me what I need to fast in order to see His order back in my body. He's so good all the time! Bless you.

these health issues are so trying, so glad you found a good Dr. I can't wait for rapture sometimes, but am really thankful this is working for me so far. Though I must admit I was very tempted when my Husband brought home cheese enchildas. He did the raw for 5 days, but now is back to SAD. It's hard to come up with two meals everyday so I relent and don't say much when I don't cook for him. Yeah, the sugars. I really should stay away till I get my liver better, but so love the fudge made with dates. I put on my jeans from when I was really thin, and they were baggy......so scared to fast. but we'll see.

God is good,

emily

Wow, that is interesting. I may have to. I keep swinging with all of this, was hyper yesterday, (most likely from the date/fudge) and then today....down, but most likely from only 5 1/2 hours of sleep. did have some rice cuz, well, who knows. thanks for the info. I have the book "Miracle of fasting". I should read it.

Yep. I was at that point a few years ago. I was either up or down and I was constantly losing a ton of weight in very short spans of time, and always always always dizzy! I still battle the dizziness from time to time but nowhere near as bad as I used to be before going raw. And, then I was diagnosed as diabetic in 2003 and I got to the point where I had enough and knew I needed to make a drastic change, so I started the Hallelujah Acres diet, through that found out about The Raw Family (the Boutenko's) and after some more research I came across Jordan Reuben (The Makers Diet), Dr. Joseph Mercola and Dr Ben Kim's websites...and then had a huge dilemna cus they all advocate eating some cooked foods, including meat, so I decided to try each one for 60 days and whatever one I felt best after was the diet I was sticking with. Lol, as you can see, from me being part of this site, raw won me over. I felt way better, looked better and so far when I have periodic blood check-ups done I haven't been deficient in anything. I still respect what they have to say immensely and continue to do research and reading everything I can get my hands on, but right now...bottom line...is I'm going to go with what makes me feel the best and that's high raw with the occasional juice fast for cleansing and maintenance both spiritually and physically.

• Hey all. Hope all is well for you today. I'm loving and craving more and more raw foods everyday. I'm beginning to feel some detox symptoms as I increase the amount of raw food and decrease the amount of cooked. I normally juice my greans and fruits, but today I blended them to make it "green smoothie". I used spinach, couple leaves of romaine, & a papapya. It was amazing..........but later in the am I was really, ...really nautious. Have any of you experienced this. I don't get that from juicing, but this was blended this time....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I get nauseous from time to time, I am pretty sure it's from the liver spilling out "stuff". I keep a bottle of ginger pills on hand at all times. am sure ginger tea, little own ginger itself would be good.

me too Jesusfreak. I am doing better and better. Had a green smoothie for dinner. love sprouted spelt, have that with fruit in almosd milk in the morning. still can't do nuts, but am still loving this. especially the "ice cream".

• Do you happen to know if spelt sprouts have gluten in them? ...or even wheat grass? I'm assuming the wheat grass doesn't. I just have to be super careful. The liver cleansing thing totally makes sense. I bet that's why my body revolted when I attempted the Master Cleanse a couple years ago. The first day I was nautious beyond nautious w/ a killer headache. I'm a full time working mom so that didn't work well. I'd like to try again, but maybe a little further into my clean state of being;)

• Hello!

It's so nice to find a raw food community where I'm not banned from speaking about my Lord! (Not that I've lasted long in places like that....)

There are so many things God has confirmed to me lately, especially, about why He's led me down this whole, raw food path...but I confess, I was beginning to feel a little like Elijah, like there was hardly any others, but it's so wonderful to see so many here!

I really look forward to getting to know you all better!

I'm still reading through the many pages here, but am definately be looking forward to some raw fellowship!

~Anastazia~

P.S.

There was a book recommended awhile back about the Essene Gospel of Jesus....nothing personal, whoever recommended it, but it's a different Jesus, & a different gospel than the Bible presents. I read it numerous times during my new age years, & it's very much a new age veiwpoint, adding & deleting/ommitting things that were never part of the Bible, or who Jesus Christ is...

I felt compelled to say something, due to the interest expressed by christians when it was recommended...{we are our brother's (& sister's) keeper, right?}

Hey! Jesusfreak; spelt is an ancient grain that is an ancestor for wheat. It does have gluten, Quinoa, rice and corn are free from glutine. I tend to stay away from all grains, because they hurt my stomach, but I find that I can tollerate buckwheat- which is actually a seed of a fruit and not a grain at all. I think that you are wise to take your cleansing at a slow pace, you only want to excrete the amount of toxins from your organs into your blood that your body can deal with and eliminate; you dont want to dump them all out at once and then feel really sick! I think it is so cool how so many people here have tried other diets and decided on raw, it is interesting, and adds merrit, because we have actually TRIED things and found that htis works. I am the same. This is the only diet that has ever made any difference. Come visit me at coolywash.blogspot.com!

Blessings guys!

Thank you Anastazia! I would have had no idea until it was way too late to realize that was a New Age book...so thank you, thank you, thank you! And, welcome raw Christian sister =)

jesusfreak...wheatgrass is really hard to take if you are not used to it! If you are just starting out with it, I'd recommend maybe an ounce at the very most at a time, til you are more detoxed. Lol, and if ya take more, have a bucket handy cus you'll spend awhile gaggin on the toxins being released. Build your system up with green smoothies first until your system is more tolerable of them and then try wheatgrass again.

Ginger is a really great idea for nausea, fennel really helps with that too. And, just remember when you start detoxing to stay positive cus your body is finally doin the housecleanin God made it to do! I still have icky detox days on my juice fasts or even doing 100% raw weeks, living in this toxic world and times, it may be just this generations cross to bear. It's really sad to see how badly man's greed has corrupted and polluted God's earthly home for us. Just makes heaven look better n' better!!!!!

DD--Whole grains are known for causing mineral deficiencies so maybe a blessing in disguise your body can't tolerate them!

I hear ya Emily! But, from all my studies that I've done over the last 5 years on fasting have all pretty much said the same thing...you may lose weight but the only weight you lose is the dead, diseased cells...your body absolutely will not feed off of good, healthy and vital cells. Norman Walker, one of the pioneers of the raw food lifestyle actually advocated juice fasting for people who are underweight because it usually balanced whatever was causing the problem to balance out. Dr. Laura Newman, another pioneer in the alternative lifestyle (she wasn't raw and did advocate some meats but still her books are really helpful to me) believes that most people that are underweight have excess mucous lining their intestines so nutrients can't be absorbed very well, no matter how much or how good the food is that you eat. She recommends, even if you don't fast, but to juice these veggies everyday: carrots, celery,cabbage, spinach, watercress, turnip leaves, parsley dandelion and coconut. Especially carrot and celery.

Her words: " Nature is always trying to normalize the system. If one only cleans out the debris and gives nature the material to work with, one not need to fear the outcome. " Wise lady was she =)

• Welcome Anastasia! I'm so glad you said something about the Essene gospel comment. I agree, we each other's keepers. I actually grew up in a new age church. My great aunt and uncle were ministers for that chuch. I'm -beyond- grateful for the personal relationship I now have w/ Jesus & the freedom found in Him.

Thanks to all of you for your feed back. I SO appreciate it. Blessings.

Hey Juicefastfan! Thank you for the info! It is so interesting that all people who are promoting "main streem" health, and even most vegetarian and vegan health reps all promot the eating of a tonne of grain products. I have never done well on grains, and I am glad I am on raw, so I don't have to come up with s a complicated reason for not eating them. I have read parts of the essene gosple, and I did think that is seemed a little off. Come visit me-coolywash.blogpsot.com

well,...that explains that. I have a yucky feeling today, but then again, that's not that abnormal but had some abdominal pain after I had breakfast of spelt and fruit in almond milk. man, at first i was so excited in that I could eat fruit, but it seems I have just been omitting things of late. really couldn't eat nuts beforehand, but am still concerned about my weight. as even when I eat avocados I get that stuck feeling in my middle (meaning slow food alert) And so glad you said something about the essences. I am known for being contraversial and confrontational so didn't want to say something right off the bat, so glad you did. Being Christian and eating this way you almost have to dip into the other world, I mean talking to people that are pretty interesting. But I am very careful with what I do spiritually speaking as have too many odd experiences with the other side.

It's sad really, that we have not been the leaders in treating our bodies with more respect. well, enuf of that ;) having a slow day...can you tell? I am really thinking I need to do a fast, but man, have already lost another pound.

No problem DD! I don't think it's a readily accepted "thing" in the health food world but I've seen some pretty convincing studies and most grains are acidic...which makes perfect sense that too many would leach minerals from your body.Moderation really is key for everything. I'm addicted to research and reading everything I can get my hands on. Lol, I'm such a dork, I will read medical journals and college medical studies when I'm bored!

It is sad isn't it Emily? A good number of us have came to a healthier lifestyle as a result of some kind of health crisis. I shake my head all the time and wonder why I didn't clean up my act sooner! Ignorance was easier I guess.