Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

10 day master cleanse

Comments

• Eszter- I'm so sorry that happened! Last night on my first day I couldn't finish my entire water bottle of lemonade because my stomach was getting mad at me. So I stopped, drank some water, and went to bed...for almost 12 hours. I woke up today feeling MUCH better. Hopefully you can return to it in the future with success! Otherwise, juice fasts and water fasts are incredible too (and taste much better haha) good luck!

oola- I found my syrup at Trader Joe's. I don't know if you have one of those around you. Otherwise I know there's a stand at my local farmer's market that sells it too.

LaEnsalada- Yeah sometimes I feel depressed/tired/crappy while on the cleanse. I think that when you're cleansing, not only are you physically cleansing your body but you get a lot of emotional cleanse too. It forces you think about all the unhealthy decisions you've made but it also gives me hope that I can still change everything now :) And just by going on MC you're taking a giant step toward healthiness and happiness!

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Has anyone ever tried drinking the maple syrup and lemon water separately?

The thought of the lemonade mixture really makes me want to puke so I decided that today I'm going to consume everything separately.

I was just wondering if this is just as effective as drinking the lemonade recipe.

• La Ensalada- That's a good question. I would loooove to do that too (maple syrup in lemonade plus cayenne is not my favorite concoction in the world...gotta say). I found this just on a forum thing:

Is it ok to chug the cayenne separately with lemon and leave it out of the lemonade recipe, or is there a reason to sip it?

It doesn't say anything about taking the cayenne separately from the loemonade in the book (The Master Cleanse, by Stanley Burroughs). Initially the cayenne can take a little bit of getting used to. The recipe calls for 1/10 teaspoon ground cayenne. If this is too much for you, work up to it. You can just add a pinch to your first lemonade then a little more to your second and so on... If you are mixing your lemonade up in the morning for the whole day, don't add the cayenne into the days batch. The cayenne will get hotter as it sits in the lemonade. It is best to add the cayenne to each glass of lemonade just before you drink it.

Another tip for taking your cayenne in is a method I call the Hot Shot. Pour an ounce or two of your prepared lemonade into a shotglass and add your 1/10 teaspoon of cayenne. Don't wait - immediately - drink it like a shot of tequilla. Follow that by the remaining 8oz of your lemonade without cayenne. There have been other tips for getting in your cayenne intake posted. Use the search box at the top right side of the webpage and enter "cayenne tip". http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=862909

I'll see if I can find something else about the rest of the ingredients

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Just a couple of suggestions here. I'm not fond of lemonade, but love limeade, so I use limes instead. I also was able to find, at my local herb shop, cayenne in liquid form. It blends in very well with the limeade. I actually find the drink quite tasty. I started with a little and work up to the full recipe on the cayenne, though.

• Using lime does taste better. I also found that the flavor of the maple syrup was too strong and agave worked better for me and is much cheaper. We did it 3 days, I got a bad migraine and vomited at the end of the first day but after that was fine. My normally very peaceful roommate's reaction to the detox was anger. Has anyone else had that happen?

• Hey Everyone,

I would love to do this cleanse but i have a few things I am unsure of.

First : I am on medication for thyroid and polysistic overies which i can not stop taking, can i still do it. I also suffer from sevre IBS (which is why i would like to try it. But i don't want to aggrevate the condition. What do you think. I am hopeing that this cleanse may put my Stomach and digestive systems back to the start so these pains decrease. Anyone who can enlighten me i would be most greatful.

You are all so inspiring I just hope it can help me.

Thanks guys

• graceer1- That's a toughie. What do your medications say? If it says to take with food, I would re-consider a Master Cleanse because the medication might hurt your stomach. How are you doing on raw though? Have you been trying for awhile or are you just starting out? I would maybe consider a green-smoothie cleanse. Do just green smoothies (raw fruits, greens, and water--none of that store-bought nasty fruit juice), which will give your stomach enough substance in it to keep taking medication without getting irritated but it will also be in blended form which means less work for your digestive system. It is still cleansing, it just takes more time to see the effects. Try that for awhile and see how it goes. If your condition gets better, then maybe try a Master Cleanse. Good luck!

• graceer1- I have the same health problems as you, as well as several other problems and I have done the cleanse numerous times. Weather or not it is totally safe, I can't say for sure, however I can only tell you my experience and my opinion. Most likely if you ask your doctor about this, they will say no simply because most tend to think any type of cleansing is wrong. I however feel it is safer than the medications actually. I will say that I had an enlarged liver most likely due to many years of many medications and I feel I was able to heal myself. My doctor basically said my liver was enlarged and then shrugged her shoulders when I asked her how to fix it. Anyway, the last time they tested my liver, the results were normal. The way I think I did this is by taking Milk Thistle and doing the cleanse a couple of times. Whether or not this is what actually helped, of course there really is no proof, but it is the only thing I did that I can think of that would have had any effect on it.

As for digestive problems, between my IBS and various other stomach issues, food can be a real problem for me, no matter how healthy it is, so I actually feel better when I am doing the cleanse and not having food. I will say that I don't do the salt flush simply because salt water makes me vomit. I do have to use a combination of herbal laxatives and herbal laxative tea and I still have some trouble going, but then I always have trouble going, so I will never go as much as most people would doing the cleanse.

Hope that helps your decision.

• Thank you for your suggestions.

I have had a no from my doctor but that was not a surprise to me. I am not totally raw at the moment I do eat meat occasionally. However i find i am eating less and less as it hurts so much. I vomit alot after eating also. My husband is concerned that it may start a eating disorder so i feel he is watching me when i go to the bathroom. However this is not intentional vomiting. I spoke to him today and he thinks this may be a good idea. I really do have to try something as i have tried everything else. I think that i will try the cleanse and see how it goes, if i get any bad reactions i will stop it early. I can't say that anything could hurt anymore then it already does.

I will let you know what happens!!

Thanks again I really do appreciate your time and help.

• Halfway done! Anyone else still hanging in there?

• I've had to restart, and restart again. Ugh.

Today, however, I can claim success. Two bottles of lemonade and lots of water. Even managed to get (and keep) down half of the SWF. It made a lot of gurgling go on, but nothing other than that. Perhaps half of it wasn't enough.

I've been working particularly hard to keep busy today...I'm a total food addict and today has been really REALLY hard. But I've done it! (I know, I know, the day is not finished yet, but having made it this far, I think I can make it to tomorrow...one step at a time.)

I should mention that I'm using this as a gateway to better eating habits and an intro to raw. I'm very overweight and probably very toxic...I expect the next couple of days to be hell, but hey, I've got this forum to come to. :)

• Oola- Sounds like you have the right mindset :) Just think about how you're going to feel after you've accomplished 10 days on the Master Cleanse!! That's what I do when I feel like "Oh I'll just have a bite of that..." I know that that one little indulgence will be nothing compared to how I'll feel once I've withstood the discipline it takes to go 10 days without it. And definitely the MC is a great gateway toward better health. Let me tell you (as a fellow food addict), after 10 days of improvement, it is hard to go back to unhealthy old habits and undo all the hard work it took to get there! Think of all the toxins you're getting rid of each day of your cleanse and how much better you'll feel (and look) when it's done. Tomorrow wake up and know how much it took you to get through this first day and don't let that work go to waste...push through the next 9 days, you can do it!

Ooo and give yourself a reward at the end. This weekend I'm going on a shopping spree! They have this huge sidewalk sale on State Street in Madison (where I go to school) called Maxwell Street Days and I am getting me some new clothes to fit the new me as a reward for my hard work :)

So here's cheers from day 5, keep up the good work, I know you can do it!

• iluvlife - Thanks for the encouraging words! They really mean a lot to me. :)

Yesterday I got through some major temptations, like while preparing meals for my kids, or when my mom showed up with leftover BIRTHDAY CAKE. I'm not even a fan of cake, but this was custardy and chocolatey and I could SMELL it through the whole house. But I stood strong! (And left the room while everyone else was indulging, that certainly helped.)

Today I got a little more of the SWF down, but it's still really hard to swallow. I did throw up a little of it, and that's when I stopped drinking. I'm not sure if I can get used to it. Today is day two of my cleanse, but I've been doing the SWF daily for four days now...because of my restarting issues. :) I'm good now!

How's everyone else doing?

• Hey all, glad to see so many people doing so well!! How exciting and encouraging. I, on the other hand, have been avoiding as I was unable to start with all of you. Wrong time of my cycle considering we are trying. Acu pointed out that if I wanted to cleanse I should do so at the beginning. So, glad to hear everyone is going strong. Best to all!!

• This afternoon has been rough. Figured out that the kids' naptime is my snacktime, and all my mouth has wanted to do was chew, chew, chew! Oh, and cheese. Absolutely everything in my house smells like cheese. I may eat a cushion.

Honestly though, there have been a lot of cravings, but still managing to get through them. Just made my second litre of lemonade, so I should be good for the rest of the day.

OMG, I forgot to mention my TONGUE! Absolutely gross, brown and white coated thing that it was this morning. I think that's what helped me get more SWF down this morning; ANYTHING would have tasted better than my tongue. :)

That's it, every time I get a craving, I'll just think of my tongue.

• Hey all,

Been to my doctors and he sat there silent. So i feel i have nothing to loose. I have just finished my horrible lax tea, don't know if there is a nicer tasting one but this almost made me sick. Not a great start but i am not going to let it put me off. nI have bought all my ingredients, and explained to the kids what i am doing and they think it will be great if my stomach ache goes away. though my 12 year old was concerned that i was not eating for 10 days he thought i would not survive!!! Anyway I am a little scared for tomorrow, But i shall try and keep my mind occupied on other things. I have a really busy couple of days coming up so it shouldn't be to hard and i have decided the salt water cleanse i will do on sunday when i don't have to go out!!!!

I am feeling positive that i have made the commitment to do this and I hope I last.

Will let you know what happens.

P.S thanks for your support guys.

• graceer1- Yayyy!!!!! I'm excited for you! Good luck, you will do so great!

Well I'm finishing up day SEVEN! Woot woot! Only three days left! Ohhhhh man I'm excited for a big ol' salad and a green smoothie!!

• Congrats Graceer1!

What do you think it meant, that your doctor just sat there silent? That he agreed but didn't feel he could legally say so? Or that he disagreed but wasn't sure he should? Hm...mainstream medical doctors scare me sometimes.

I've given up on the SWF. It totally makes me sick...so I've picked up some senna tea and boy does THAT seem to do the trick!

Fell of the wagon slightly last night, and ate a little pasta...which in turn made me completely sick. I was completely lethargic, slightly nauseous and had a touch of diarrhea. And all within about 20 minutes of eating! Anyway, it's taught me my lesson, and I'm back to it.

Is it day one for me again? Argh.

• oola, Keep going honey, i think you have to take it a day at a time and do what you feel is right . I think the doctor just didn't want to say either way, he didn't seem to have a clue. I really dispair at people who are suppose to help us!!!

Well i am at day 3, Going good so far.

First day was really hard wanted to eat like mad. It didn't feel right not eating, but i stuck with it and got passed it (admittedly by going to sleep, but whatever works.)

Day 2 was easier because i was working all day (teaching children musical theatre) and didn't have a break so it made things a lot easier i didn't think about eating.

Day 3 well it's only 11am and want to try the SWF today a bit scared though, worried at the outcome. and i don't want to be sick with my kids around. This sounds like the worst part. But the lax tea is not working for me and haven't been since i started!!!!! So hopefully this will work.

I do seem to have a strange pain in my lower rib cage never had it before wonder if anyone else has had this.

I don't mind the lemonade, but my teeth feel like they do not appreciate the amount of acid in the drink.

• LAST DAY LAST DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so ready to be done and not ready like "I'm going to eat everything in sight" but ready like I'm ready for my new and improved high-raw life to start :)

Oola- just keep truckin! Or maybe try a different kind of cleanse first. Such as a green smoothie cleanse? It's a little easier to accomplish and you still are cleansing but the effects just aren't as drastic. Once you accomplish this and have it under your belt, then maybe you'll have more motivation/the self confidence you need to know that you can do the MC. Just a thought :)

graceer1- Woo! Great job on day 3! Try using a straw when drinking your lemonade, that way it doesn't have as much contact with your teeth and it's more fun to drink :P

• Hi! Just wanted to poke my head in to say that myself, boyfriend and best friend all started the cleanse today! We're going for 10 days, and so far we're going well. I'm vegan, but the others are meat-eaters, but they're starting to get the big picture. I'll make vegans of them yet!! Me? I'm trying to incorporate more raw and unprocessed foods into my diet. It seems right to me to eat in the way your species had for aeons.

I was really surprised how quickly the cleanse got things moving, already I've had the fun experience of having a mucousy piece of plastic exit my butt!!! God knows how long that's been in there, or how it got there. Scary stuff.

So, great to be here with you all!

Sophie

• Well I know that I said I was doing the cleanse a few weeks ago but honestly, that didn't happen. It was hard to commit to anything at the time.

But now I am on day 1 of the cleanse! I am at work right now and my mind is very fuzzy. I feel confused and almost high in a way. For a moment or two I felt that I tasted some food in my mouth (something I must have had several days ago?). I thought that was weird. Very similar to day 2 of my last cleanse. I did not do the SWF this morning so I made the tea. Then later I took another tea to get things going.

I'm not hungry, haven't been hungry, and I'm very glad that it's going so well today. I know for sure I will finish the first day. Let's see how the second day goes!!

Good luck to anybody else who is doing the cleanse.

• Hello! I start my cleanse with my mom and a few others tomorrow! Totally excited. Afterwards I'm doing a 100 day raw food challenge at RawFu.com, this is just my jump-start I guess you could say.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone,today i'm starting a MC. I've been reading as much as i can about it and learning. I did yesterday the salt water flush,should i do it today also??? yesterday i had for dinner lentils and rice and after a bowl of popcorn(i know not a good choice),but i'm planning on doing one day at the time,hopefully i can do the 10 days. So i want to do 2 day water fasting cleaning and the juice vegetables. What do you think?? any advice?? Thanks!

• Its the beginning of my Day 1 - I did the SWF - well tried it. It didn't go so well. I drank about half and threw it right back up. How do you guys do it? Its completely disgusting. I don't think it would be half as bad if it weren't warm. Anyway, I'm on my first glass of the lemonade, and it's satisfying. Can't wait to see what else this day brings!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Malchusmom, I'm having some difficulty understanding your routine and rationale. When I do the Master Cleanse, it's the only thing I consume. I drink water, do "Smooth Move" tea morning and evening (because I can't handle the salt water flush), and drink about 64 ounces of the lemonade (lime in my case) each day. That's all. As I understand it, your system needs the laxative / flush assistance twice a day, because you are not consuming any fiber . . . so, yes, you would need the salt-water flush every day (or substitute the tea) . I have also done the lemonade just as an occasional drink, like for supper for several days. And I've done an occasional weekend MC or water fast, but the effect is not nearly as pronounced as with the 10 day or more straight Master Cleanse.

You don't say what you've been reading. I would strongly recommend Stanley Burrough's book (a paperback, about $5 at most health stores). I know there are a lot of websites that address this cleanse. I found some of them quite confusing until I had the basic background from reading the book. That knowledge enabled me to make more informed decisions regarding the comments and suggestions of others.

Megan, I have not been successful with the SWF, but several have recommended using a straw so you bypass most of your taste buds. They say this makes it more tolerable. They also say it gets easier after a couple or three days. I am going to try the straw with my next MC.

Ladies, congratulations and here's to our good health. I'll be starting another MC in about a week.

emtpdmom,thanks so much for your reaponse.Like you said,is kind of confusing for me because i've been reading so many websites and articles and when it comes the time to do it is kind of confusing on what exactly do and take. I will get the book,if not today,tomorrow. I do can handle easy drinking the epson salt water . So far i'm fine,every time i feel hunger i drink lots of water,not a headache jet,lol

This is not easy,i'm afraid to get in the kitchen to cook for my husnband and kids thank God today they warm foor from last night. I will take it one day at a time and pray for strengh. One more question to you or anyone reading this. How long does it takes for the body to be clean or super clean? and how often is good doing this Master Clean?? thanks!!!

• Hi all, I'm just finishing up an MC, on the orange juice day! Whoo-hoo! Can't wait to eat tomorrow. Malchusmom, or anyone who hasn't done the MC before, I STRONGLY recommend you read Stanley Burroughs' book before starting. The entire thing isn't available online (at least I don't think so) so you will have to go buy one. Call your local health food store to make sure they have it in stock. Read it cover to cover before even starting your cleanse. For your first cleanse, do everything exactly by the book. If you decide to do another cleanse in the future, then you can tweak it or start looking at all the online babble.

It's interesting, most people really complain about the salt water flush, but for some reason I don't really mind it. I think of it like drinking broth or a savory soup.

Whenever I do the cleanse, after I get over the 2-3 day major detox I just feel better and better and better. I have so much energy today! My partner has done it twice with me, but she goes downhill fast. She doesn't like the smooth move tea or the salt water flush, so she doesn't do them consistently. She also doesn't drink enough of the lemonade. You need to follow the directions! Malchusmom, for your first cleanse I would just do the recommended 10 days. You can probably do a cleanse once or twice a year, I believe Burroughs talks about this in the book.

PS. There are other cleanses out there that are less intense. The Master Cleanse is a very quick detox and can be a huge upheaval in your life. Also, it helps to ask for support from your family and friends while you are doing it. Maybe your husband would be willing to pitch in to make some food for your family while you are doing this?

I already order the book on ebay. I'm on my first 24 hr already and plan on doing it for 3 days. I will read the book first and then do everything step by step. Yes,my husband will help me with feeding the kids. I don't mind cooking it like now i just finish dinner, what drives me crazy is sittinfg at the table to feed them(2 abd 1 yr old,Imagin,LOL

I also has a litter of water and epson salt. I did one yesterday and the other just now. Thanks so much for the support. One thing. I did water fast like 4 months ago and that time by this time i had a headache that was killing me,i do notice that now i feel really good compared to that time. No headache,just a weird taste on my mouth.

Thanks maryssa and emtpdmom.

God Bless!

• I found the book online .. I believe it is most, if not all, of it. Its at: http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/spa/7244/master_cleanse.html