Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To shampoo or not to shampoo?

Comments

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Ugh! Thanks for telling me what I probably already knew in my heart but haven’t wanted to confront. Swimming is a big part of my life, can’t imagine eliminating it from my life, but certainly something I must ponder. Our only other alternative for swimming is the Columbia River which is a whole other sea of toxins too long to mention here. Thanks for the info.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Holy cow, chlorine is a carcinogen?!? I’m going to a sleepover party in a hotel today, and we’re gonna be in a pool! EW!!!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i know! i LOVE swimming but i’ve steered clear of the pool since going raw… sad =( but i actually can’t stand the smell anymore! it’s just not inviting at all. i had the pleasure of swimming in a pool that was kept clean with environmentally friendly filtration system… what a pleasure!!!

• Well I have been no poo for a little over 5 months now and still loving it. I have been doing the aloe that was discussed a while back and it seems to help my dry pooed ends. I loved this topic b/c it gives you so many ideas!! It seems like my roots are shiner than my old hair I’m gonna try the lemon that was suggested. Thanks for all the helpful advice that you give queenfluff!!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I got in the pool and now my hair is NASTYYYYYYYYY

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Naturgal28 – Your welcome! I am glad it is working out for you. I swear my hair gets better every day – it is finally feeling thicker now! :) I have been trimming off my pooed ends just because they look so darn ick next to my shiney roots.:)

rachel_akiko – Yeah, the chlorine in pools is really not much different than the chlorine bleach you use in your laundry – could you imagine soaking in that stuff?? Ick! It really does a number on the hair – probably even more stripping than shampoo! Is your hair really dry or just sticky? I would try some coconut oil (just a small amount) or some aloe to soothe it. If you end up in a chlorinated pool again, I would definatley use a tight cap to try to keep the water out. I know it sucks but it is better to look like a dork for a few hours in the pool than look gross for a few hair with the bad hair! :) I really hate the fact that so many pools use chlorine – I mean, unless you live near a pool that is ozonizated (a green alternative to the chlorine method of santitizing pools) or a nice clean fresh lake or stream, swimming is kinda dangerous in todays world because of the chemical and toxins. It really sucks.

http://www.biophysica.com/chlorine.html

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I can’t remember if it’s been 3 months or 4 months since I last pooed, but I love the way my hair’s gotten! So soft, perfect waves and curls with no effort and no work at all. And now I can actually brush it without it becoming a frizzy mess! It’s been a few years since I’ve been unhappy with my hair, which I think might be due to the hard water here in Italy, so this is an unexpected bonus. Thanks to all for getting me into this!!

• Well everyone, I can honestly say the hair has never looked better or healthier. Been doing it for a bit more than two months. Sebum production has drastically slowed, nobody can believe how it stays clean even after a big workout. It really is quite amazing.

Happy I started this while still young. Thanks to everyone for this great thread.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Oh my gosh. People are so silly. My husband made the mistake of telling one of his sisters who he works with (@ his dad’s company) that we stopped washing our hair. Now everyone in the office knows, and all the immediate family. Patrick’s (hubby) job is now in jeopardy if he doesn’t start putting crap in his hair. His brother, who he also works with, is going to start smelling his hair to make sure it smells like some artificial good smelling chemical. He is scared that he will freak out the customers, and everyone in the office is saying Patrick stinks now. Which, by the way, is an absolute falsehood. His hair smells like hair, but it doesn’t stink. People are freakin’ annoying sometimes. It’s hard to believe I used to be one of them. Holy cow. I went to hug one of my sister in laws and she did so very carefully, making sure she didn’t touch my hair…she even held her breath! People are ridiculous. I mean, come on, my hair doesn’t stink. I have a nose, and I DO check to make sure I don’t smell foul before leaving the house!

southernlover – Wow how ridiculous! I mean, his hair looks clean and everything why should it matter? What if he were bald – I am sure people wouldn’t think he shampooed his head then?

Is his job really is jeopardy? Maybe make some essential oil spray that smells nice (like peppermint) just spritz on scent and no one will be the wiser? Just to shut them up.

I hold my nose when people with tons of toxin perfumes and colognes are near me – sometimes I’ll even cough and wave my hand like their is smoke around. Ha ha! I am mean! :) Maybe you should subtley do the same to those who wear too much smelly toxic products? Tell them you can’t breathe around them because they smell like a chemical plant!

I have been doing no poo for over a year and my hair has never smelled – not even during the gross times at the beginning – the hair that smells will be the people with the crappy diets – esp meat eaters!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Damn, southernlover, that is such crap!!! I feel so sorry for you. Well, look, if you have to , you can point out to these morons how dirty their own hair and bodies are! It’s true. We’re not a very clean people, although we seem obsessed with cleanliness. Detergent agents over-strip the skin and encourage the growth of harmful bacteria and yeasts. People who eat bad diets and use detergents and chemicals then start to smell gross after just a bit of exertion(like walking to work!) and they panick and cover themselves with yet more chemicals and artificial fragrances. It’s true. If you use this garbage and eat badly, you start to smell yucky pretty fast. And you truly ARE dirty.

What freaks me out is seeing someone sit in a bathtub and smear their own dirt with detergants all over themselves, then get out without rinsing their bodies! Omg,they are covered with live and dead bacteries, dead skin cells, rancid oils, need I go on? Just tell your freaky buddies how filthy THEY are and tell them they stink and see how they react.

By the way, your husband can sue successfully if he is forced to put chemicals on his body. This is nonsense.

It reminds me of Dove’s information pages, where they claim(falsely) that if you use just plain water to wash your face, then you kill all essential bacteria! In other words, water is very very bad for your skin. This is an out and out lie! But it’s quite legal for them to say. They then say that if you use their soap, you will not kill these important microbes. It’s amazing what these companies can claim, counting on the fact that most people forget their highschool chem and biology lessons fast!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

southern – Well, if it is going to cost him his job, there are good organic shampoos out there he can try. his hair will smell like ‘stuff’ but at least it won’t be chemical stuff!!

So, what do I do with my short hair? If it was long, I would join you guys, but being short, that’s out of the question. i use an organic shampoo, every 3 days. I am thinking about trying yogurt and ground oatmeal to be even more nat. What do you think??

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

southernlover – so sorry to hear about the drama at work! how nutty that they would react that way… where i live, many people don’t use shampoo and some folks rinse their hair not often at all. lots of wonderful, caring people – so they didn’t think a thing of it when i told them i’d stopped washing. one person did tell me my hair looked greasy, but that was only after they knew i’d stopped shampooing (it looked clean, anyway). i am so grateful to all the contributors to this post! i’ve been poo free for 1 month and LOVING it. i’m shocked that i never tried this before!!! i feel like i’ve really been indoctrinated my whole life into using chemicals. lol.

• hello all! sorry if there’s already been a post about this, i didnt look through all 20 pages! i was wondering if anyone has tried chaz dean’s products- WEN? ive been using them for a month now and my hair feels so amazing! its a cleansing “conditioner” made from essential oils and plant ingredients.

LunaBlu – You don’t need to have long hair to do this. Why did you think that? It is actually easier for people with short hair than long! Reason being because if you keep your hair short you will have fresh virgin hair in no time at all – it is a little bit more “maintanence” with long hair. Shorter hair is easier to keep clean so this should work fabulously for you.

Yoghurt and oatmeal won’t do anything to clean your hair. You might want to try some natural hair rinses to keep your hair clean – is your hair oily or dry right now? A rosemary rinse works well for oily hair – just make a rosemary tea with dried rosemary, let it cool and pour in your hair.

There is no need for southernlovers husband to use any sort of shampoo at all! No pooed hair DOES NOT smell. If someone else is expecting hair to “smell” a certain way, that is their problem – personally I can’t stand the chemical wafty smells coming from people – I would prefer no smell at all. But herbal rinses will add some nice smells to the hair if it is really what the person wants to do. There is no need to use shampoos to get that smell.

frostbitfairy – Nope haven’t use them and I just checked the ingredients list on one of the products – it is FULL of chemicals. The natural ingredients that are in there are killed by the added chemicals. If I were you I would think twice about using these products.

Natural ingredients ( well, Glycerin is NOT good for hair but ..)

Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Lavender Oil, Lavender Extract, Glycerin, Citric Acid. Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Sweet Almond Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil,

Bad ingredients (No, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein is a chemically modified compound thereby rendering it not natural anymore – hydrolyzed anything is not good)

Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone,Ceteareth-20, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone

Take some time to look up the ingredients you don’t recognize on the net – for many of them you might be quite surprised (and horrified) to find out what they really are. Do you really want you skin absorbing that stuff?

For example, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride is a bleach.

Be careful not to be taken in by marketing – stuff like “organic” and pretty names and labels that make a product look safe and natural when in reality it is really not. Sorry to give you the bad news.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

All organic shampoos are just detergents except for a couple that are liquid soaps. It’s a hype to call it “organic”. They are all full of additional harmful ingredients.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks for the advice, queenfluff & alix1962.

I bought this “organic” shampoo… and well, it smells like Pine Sol! I was so disappointed. I used an EO shampoo last time, but it seemed to have dried my hair so I wanted to try something new. Looks like I need to do more research before buying my next shampoo.

I’m still interested in the flax shampoo… but, wanted to see what I find here locally rather than having to special order and pay for shipping all the time. And, I don’t want to make my own shampoo; I’ve got enough on my hands making gourmet raw food.

• It has been almost a week since I last shampooed, feels great. I have been doing ACV+peppermint rinses since my scalp is quite dry and itchy, I am also in the process of growing out all the old color, which will take some time, so the ends are a little dry but it is amazing how much easier my hair is to comb now, and it doesn’t look at all greasy or smell.

• I just wanted to say that I tried the lemon juice for shine. It did work but so did the white vinegar which I also tried but I especially like this concoction which seemed to make my hair extra shiney and extra soft with little itty bitty highlights in the sun: boil or heat 4 cups water , 2 bags chamomile tea with a couple sprigs of parsley. Strain out the parsley and tea bags and let cool to room temp or leave out overnight then in the morning add the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Then rinse as usual in the shower and follow with the mixture, leave in for a minute or a few minutes and then rinse again. This is nice for special occasions or when you have a little extra time to prepare things for your hair.

• I shaved my head back in March and I didn’t need to wash my hair at all so I stopped completely and I have saved like $200 dollars so far because I “needed” to buy really overpriced shampoos and conditioners. Not only that my hair has grown to 1.5” at this point and it is healthier then ever before and I didn’t have to deal with the hair detox side-effects. The hair-industrial-complex must be stopped! Hah! =)

• i just wanted to chime in that I also have been shampoo-free since Easter. I went through about a month of the greasy yucky detox stuff, but it’s finally went away! I was almost ready to throw in the towel, I’m so glad I didn’t. I am having bouts of dandruff from time to time though. any tips on dandruff would be appreciated. So far I tried saturating the dandruff ‘spot’ on my head with coconut oil and washing it with baking soda. it seems to work..but… takes quite a few days for the coconut oil to come out of my hair so I have to hide my hair again like the detox days. I am hoping to find a quicker remedy for dandruff without shampooing?

• artzyfartzy, when I got dandruff on no poo I used diluted acv with a little tea tree oil and rosemary essential oil mixed together in a spray bottle, sprayed my whole scalp let sit while I washed the rest of my body and then rinsed really well. It worked great and haven’t had a problem since. You might not need both tea tree and rosemary eo but I had them both so i used them both.good luck. :)

• Oh yeah, I forgot to mention make sure when you shower to really massage your scalp well with your fingertips (not your nails).

• Hey no-poo-ers! I just found a little trick that works really well for my hair, and I thought I would put it out there. I use french green clay on my face periodically, and I’ve found that it makes a really super hair wash too. I make a paste with water, rub in onto my face and into the roots of my hair, and let it dry until it’s crackly. When I rinse/massage it out, my hair is (approximately) a billion times softer and cleaner than either baking soda or acv treatments leave it. It really gets rid of that sticky feeling that my hair seems get in warmer weather, too.

• Ssarah where do you buy the french green clay and how much you pay for it, is it raw

• Majomi- I’ve bought it in bulk at my local co-op, and also online here: www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/french-green-cl… . If you click the link, there is some basic info about the product.

It’s $8.25/lb on the website, and that amount lasts a good while.

I used the french green clay once and it left my hair horribly dry (i think I have a post on it here at the beginning of the thread). True, it will probably get rid of the build up but it is very detoxing (it pulls impurities out and pulls oils out too) and even though it gets rid of the oilies – be careful with it because if it overdries your scalp or skin it could cause your skin to start over producing oil again and you will be stuck with more greasies. It can pull out TOO much oil.

I would water it down considerably if you want to use it and don’t use it more than once a month at the most.

• I’m 43 years old and have ALWAYS had very dry hair. The girl that cuts my hair told me not to use shampoo because it just makes the condition worse. So, with that in mind I haven’t used shampoo in 3 months. Once every 2 weeks I use a bit of coconut oil as a conditioner while in the shower and my hair is a lot softer and not as crunchy. I do not blow dry or use a curling iron either. Air dry is best also keep away from styling products they tend to dry out hair as well plus they leave a film on the hair.

• Thanks for the info, queenfluff. I think that the reason green clay is so helpful for me is that I use it so rarely, plus I have an extremely healthy scalp. (I read the beginning of this thread so long ago, I think I forgot that you mentioned clay earlier)

• I got sucked back into pooing, noooooooooooo! I have the worst haircut right now and when I no poo and air dry it looks horrid! As soon as I grow out this color and have my natural hair back I am going 100% no poo