Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To shampoo or not to shampoo?

Comments

• Tzefira: Funny thing, I started the no poo thing a couple of months after being raw. I didn’t have any detox syptoms (no oily hair). I did however have really dry hair. This passes after about two weeks. Now I just have to deal with the massive amounts of shedding…

• Thank you all for inspiring me! I was not sure if I will give a try to living with no shampoo, because I was already improving my poo by adding many things to it. But then a washing substance recipe just entered into my had and I had to try it. I love how it feels. And my hair is so soft and shiny.

So I can just tell you my hairwashing substance recipe. I mix clay (preferably blue clay from nature or dried from health food store) with fresh or dried herb or flower essence ( I pour room temperature water on herbs or blossoms and let it sit in daylight at least few hours; my favorite is calendula, mint and camomile) and fresh lemon juice. Consistency is like yogurt. I rub it into my hair and scalp and let it stay there 5-15 minutes. Wash it out in warm water.

My hair starts shedding if I do not eat enough green leaves.

Did anybody ever tried wood ashes or volcanic lava for hair washing? I think that shold be great too.

O, and to slightly improve a color of your hair you can rinse it with herbal tea. It also gives a nice natural scent to it.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Hi Queenfluff and all others no-pooers. I just wanted to post that I’ve also had good luck with boiled lemon rind. First I squeeze the juice out, then boil the rind in a little water to get the lemon oil out. I know it’s not raw this, but my hair seems to like it! :-)

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I’ve been using water only for about 2 weeks now and it only looks slightly greasy, but not enough to notice. It definetly doesn’t look nice and shiny yet though.

The first time I tried it my ends were SO dry and the top was so greasy. I recently cut all the dead/damaged hair off the ends and this time trying no shampoo I’ve had great success!

I’ll start encorporating different rinses soon. I’m so glad I don’t use millions of lotions and potions like every other girl. No need to fake what you don’t have right?

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

amen, valeria. I have been no soap or shampoo, only water since mid August and I’m all normal now (November). I got kinda waxy at the beginning and used baking soda rinse, took care of it, no problem.

It’s so nice to not have to spend my money on cosmetics. I love it!

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Whoa – no soap, tell me more! I’ve read about doing lemon rinses and that seems nice, but I haven’t done too much research into it. It seems no soap and dry brushing would give you perfect skin PH.

What about washing your hands?

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

Tzefira here ….. Yea i’ve noticed my hair has started shaedding a bit. This is normal isnt it? I’ve been no poo mostly water only with few bakinig soda/ lemon juice rinses ….. Also i do notice that the tips of my hair have become a little dry? any suggestions?

over all thought i love no poo, my hair hold style all day and i dont even do anything to it :)

Tzefira here ….. Yea i’ve noticed my hair has started shaedding a bit. This is normal isnt it? I’ve been no poo mostly water only with few bakinig soda/ lemon juice rinses ….. Also i do notice that the tips of my hair have become a little dry? any suggestions?

over all thought i love no poo, my hair hold style all day and i dont even do anything to it :)

And my hair has become extra extra dry?

• I've also been doing the no 'poo for a little while now. I've been doing the baking soda/avc rinse but I've run out of both products at home currently so I've been just doing a water rinse the last 3 weeks, every couple of days.

My hair is a bit greasy right now and its driving me crazy!! I have a Christmas party to go to in 3 weeks so hopefully my hair looks relatively nice by then so I can actualy style it (no prodcuts) and it doesnt lay flat on my head (like its doing now!!! Ugh!)

How long (on average) have you experienced the "de-tox" period to be? Any suggestion on what sorts of things I can try that will get that greasy feeling out of my hair and give it some natural bounce?

Thanks and I cant wait to read more updates on how everyone is doing!

• I've been doing the no poo for a few months. At first my hair was dry, but then it started to become moist again. My hair was shedding a lot; I shed about half of it (it's a good thing my hair is thick!). I thought it might be the ACV so I stopped using it, as well as the baking soda; my hair still shed. Then one day I used an organic shampoo and my hair stopped shedding. Now I simply use water to wash my hair. No ACV/lemon juice or baking soda; no shampoo either.

• On a similar topic, how do you rinse out chlorine?

I work at saline pool, and swim twice a week in my school's cholorinated pool. My hair has become dry, dry, dry! It is thick, but bristly and sticks out a lot. It looks like it has great volume, but it just feels prickly. I used to have really soft, wavy hair. On days I work at the saline pool, I just scrub my hair with water. On days I swim at the school's pool, I've been washing my hair with an organic shampoo and using an organic condition. My hair feels good the day that I wash it, but the next day its back to porcupine head!

How do I clean my hair and return the moisture from the pools?

(btw i used to post under lindsaylou, but that account got deleted or something)

• What about using a swimmers cap when you're at the chlorinated pool? Would that keep your hair dry while you swim?

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Okay, so I've been no poo for almost a year! (a year in January!)

I was hoping to dye my hair soon, and I was very concerned with not using conditioner.. as it could be dried out and brittle?

What can I do to avoid that without using shampoo, or will I have to start using it again?

That would suck!

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

This sounds interesting.

How often do no-pooers wash there hair with water only??

Is everyday fine, or everyother day, or once per week??

I tried the link on the first page, but it didn't work.

Thanks.

• I 'wash' mine once or twice a week. I've only been truly doing the no-poo since late August; I did BS/AVC combination but I found that dried my hair out a lot. I've only been doing the water-only since the middle of October. So far, its a littly only on top and in the back but its slowly getting better.

Check out some of this thread here:

Water Only Thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

There is also some other great information on that site if you go throught soem of hte threads as they have links to other similar threads.

Good luck!

• Teade, not judging, but wondering, why on earth would you want to dye your hair?

What are you using? And again Why? I'm not mentioning any names but i see some raw food people with obviously bleached hair and I wonder what raw hair dye are they using?

:P

I suppose henna is natural I used to use that when I was a teenager. My redhead phase.

I would say condition the heck out of it when you do it and see how it works from there.

But, why? Why would you strip the natural color of your hair that is perfect for your skintone and eyecolor and DAMAGE your hair that you have been taking such good care of for a year?

• Valeria, Dry brushing and rinsing with plain water is working well for me. I use coconut oil as moisturizer, but not everyday. I have always had oily skin, don't need moisturizer that much.

I do wash my hands with soap if they get dirty, for example, at work (i dig through old junk a lot), thrift store shopping, public restroom, etc. You know, DIRTY, lol. I am not a germ-o-phobe in the slightest, but if they get visibly dirty and sticky I go wash em with a drop of the liquid soap provided in the restroom. I won't touch bar soap, I always think it has animal fat in it. Crazier yet, I always carry a hanky with me for drying my hands (not blowing my nose, i have another one for that. Yes, I carry two hankies) so I don't have to use paper towels.

zero output, baby!

• Raw Canadian, I wash my hair with water only sometimes everyday, sometimes every other day, sometimes once a week. Depends on how much I sweat and how dusty my day was :) I always brush or comb to stimulate my scalp and loosen up any flakes to be rinsed away.

About once a month I notice a waxy strip of hair, right down the back, like growing right our of my crown. I use a 1/4 cup of baking soda in a quart of water, pour on wet hair in the shower, massage and rinse. any waxy- or oily-ness is gone.

I just got the ends trimmed. I notice that it falls more when I need a trim.

I don't seem to have a problem with dryness, but some people use Apple cider vinegar rinse to condition.

• Personal choice when it comes to hair dye....and I wouldnt necessarily say that the hair color you were born with is perfect for you....I know mine isnt (I look way better as a light blond than the dark ash hair I have naturally - but I'm going back to natural hair color as I'm preggo and I dont have the time/money to spend on getting my hair did - not to mention all the chemicals I'm tired of putting on my head LOL)

Does anyone else notice that you're hair gets nices a couple hours after it dries? I've been noticing that the hair on top of my head gets less greasy/oily (unlike the hair on the back of my head which is always oily and drives me nuts!!) a few hours after my hair dries after I water-wash it.

Anyone else notice that as well?

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Honestly, I love my natural hair color.

I've never really dyed my hair, only once but not the whole head... then dyed it again to get the natural hair color back. I've never even blow dried my hair... (obviously at salons though, which I haven't been to in years..

I'm a sucker for change.. I shaved my head back in April... so I like some drama too i guess...

I just figured I'd try something new... if I didn't like it or craved my natural state and think I look completely fake... I don't have a problem shaving it again...

I'm just in a weird phase I guess...

I've been doing just water since I started... occasionally (once a month maybe?) I'll do alittle ACV... but only if I feel dingy.

I was thinking of coconut oil... I just wasn't sure how many people used it.

My hair is seriously shedding. Hoe long will this last?

Does anyone have a whole food moisturizer i can put on my hair. It extremely dry. i was thinking of mashed up avocado??? and maybe leaving it on my hair for 15 minutes?

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

There are loads of Herbal Soaps on the internet... I've been using Iherbs.com for Years... The more times you order from them the Deeper Your Discounts Get... Currently whenever I order something from them I get like a 15% discount of everything I buy... and any orders over $60 Gets free shipping... I highly Recommend them... And I think one of the Best Brands There is The 'Now' Brand... You Should Check Out Their Referral System... My Referal Number is DEW156 ... Us it for a %5.00 Discount on your first purchase...

• Does anyone know what foods/supplements/treatments to take for thinning hair?

I fried my scalp with bleach many years ago and the hair won't come back to it's former thickness, plus thinning with age runs in my family.

• I had great success throwing out my shampoo after going raw. My hair held up fine until I fell back to a low raw diet. At this point however, I have no need for shampoo for more than just being raw! :-D

• I've gone five days without shampoo but every day I feel yucky AND everyday I'm rinsing w/ vinegar water, lemon juice or baking soday. So, I'm still washing everyday, just no chemicals. I feel like a greaseball buy my hair is happier I can tell.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

marion-here's what works for me and I think it might work for you to.

I brush out my dry hair really well and then mix a couple tablespoons of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water(I eyeball it). I work that mixture into my dry hair really well and then brush it out again. The entire head should be wet. Then I pop in the shower and do what I gotta do and then rinse my hair out really well.

I only have to do this about every four days or so. I get greasy hair too:) I hope this helps.

• Thanks, I'll try that. I was just thinking about a 2 in 1 thing. I'll try that for the scalp and then try something for the ends. Coconut oil?

• I recently watched 12 Steps to Raw by Victoria Boutenko. She commented that she uses a recipes of equal amounts of flax and water; blend well in blender on her hair for a raw shampoo.