Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Don’t worry! the reason I know what you were doing wrong is because I did it myself! Had always put it in the center “by accident” and then one day didn’t put it in the middle, also by accident and no spirals… took me ages to work it out… So no we are not dumb, we just hadn’t thought about it… or something like that…! ;-)

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Thanks for your reassuring words! hee hee, anyway, I’m happy that it worked! Thats soo much less hassle than having to send it back yippee!

• Hey all, hope your shoulder ok Clr? sorry you’re on Codeine :( How come you handed in your notice, got anything lined up? Springleaf, I tried taking the nibbles in and it worked, I only ate three chocs (desperation at 4am!!!!!) instead of the usual two dozen….... then I ate the rest of the nibbles when I got home – very pleased with myself. Plan to do nearly all raw for next two days, but have problems with coffee, maybe have coffee but make some nut milk to have with it. Not sure I can cold turkey on that without major fall out with bf i.e i might bite his head off if he crosses me….:(

btw i got saladaccio and i got it working to start (v pleased) and then it stopped working. Four hours later after I had screamed the place down and booted the cat out of the back door (no, not really) I realised that there is a little disc of carrot/courgette that doesn’t get spiralised and it was stopping me from doing the next bit of spiralising…...so, no, you are not dumb XD

• ps springleaf wht kind of lab do you work in? I used to work in a transfusion lab, before nursing….. and as for bfs i think they are all cut from the same cloth (or its the same man??) sounds spookily familiar

Hi everyone! Debs60: I work in a lab that looks at the human genome, lots of molecular biology. Isn’t it funny about spiralisers, they are so simple but everyone seems to have to learn how to use them, and has a problem on the way… So glad the nibbles thing worked for you! I find at work that I can eat raw quite easily if i just take loads of raw stuff in so that I don’t run out during the day. Clr – How’s the shoulder feeling? are you back at work yet?

• Hi all, Springleaf – how cool is that, I did some molecular biology at Uni but there it stayed. All the stuff I learnt would be well out of date now and I found it hard then…! I didn’t like working in the labs (at Southampton) they were all so bitchy and there was no getting away from them. The people I work with now are cool, and the patients are often wonderful – I learn a lot from them. but it is hard when we lose them. Re spiralisers, yes, its obviously not from lack of intelligence, lol!

Will try and keep up the nibbles. Perhaps I will start a trend….hope you feel better clr!

Hi Debs, Just had another thought. If patients know you prefer fruit maybe they would get you that instead, don’t know is it ever comes up in conversation tho? and if the other nurses join in and then feel better after eating better foods they they will support you too. Luckily for me we are a small team at work and all get on realy well with one another, so I love my work environment.

• hi most patients gt their rellies to buy chocs from hospital shop or local tescos, so it’s a done thing when we get the tin of quality street. one foresighted pt got us a smoothie maker but there is no time to make a smoothie or clean it afterwards :( I am seriously thinking of putting up a notice saying “Please do not feed the nurses!” lol, but at the moment, I wd get shouted down by the choccy addicts! Funnily enough tho, people have been saying how good I look (I’m 48 but in my head I’m 22) so I say i’m on a raw food diet and they pull a face. I’m waiting until raw makes a bigger impact on my weight and then I think they may start to realise that raw could be a way forward for them too. It’s baby steps, but it wd be so cool if it worked. glad you have got good working environment, it makes such a difference to life.

Ah yes, work environments.. I’m glad to hear you guys are enjoying it, its so important. Lets just say I have some challenges in my current/soon to be old.. Work life balance is really important to me and is, lets say, not so important to my employers. So I’m going to have a lot more flexibility in my new role, work from home, shorter hours etc. Its sad that where I work its not taken as seriously. I think they’d keep more people if they did.

My new role is Security Training Manager for Eurostar (nothing to do with fire training BTW..!) Before my current role I was an Aviation Security Trainer for BAA and it was great, I wouldnt have left but fixed term contract & company politics meant they couldnt make me perm. Its really interesting (sometimes scary) and gives me great job satisfaction as well as the increased flexibilty I mentioned before.. That said I’ve learnt loads of new stuff doing what I’m doing now but anyway. So, I start on Oct 14th, wish me luck..!

Thanks for your well wishes, I am back at work, came back yesterday. No codeine today thank goodness though.

Do you ever go away with work? Its a nightmare if raw. I’m in Maidenhead for the next 2 days and whilst I enjoy what I do, it creates havoc with my eating lifestyle!

All I wanted to get for lunch was a nice simple salad and the nearest place was a little tesco (without spending the whole time wandering around for somewhere else, I dont know the place too well..) All the salads had meat, The veg sandwich section (dont want bread of course but beggers cant be choosers) was all cheese or egg.. Ended up with some crappy micro meal, veggie puy lentil but still, not exactly easy to manage. Feel a bit ick now.

Being away does my head in. I brought my own stuff once, mini blender etc but its a real pain to drag it all about as I have to travel by train and I’m always gone for more than a day so cant get it ready and bring with me for both days.. Also, hotel rooms and food storage dont go well.. Blah blah..

Sorry, I’ve gone into a rant. Not much longer eh?

Good job cutting down the chocs. I’ve just bought some choc covered brazil nuts, I figured, at least its Nuts but well. See what I mean? Am rubbish when I go away!

Glad I’m not the only one saladacco-ly challenged!

• Lol! no, its good to rant…..

I just have to go with the flow when I am away, but have been quite surprised by what has been served up in restaurants when I have asked for it. I’m often eating something completely different to everyone else, but then I am quite new to raw and haven’t asked for raw food yet, not sure of the response I would get! Agree. Absolutely impossible to take mini-blenders etc on a trip. I reckon the luck i’ve had with the saladaccio, my clothes would have ended up spiralised!!!

I went away recently and when it came to eating, I bought rocket, avocado, baby tomatoes and carrots and made up salad, with a salad topping (like The Food Doctor stuff) and then drizzled it with chili and garlic dipping oil (quite possibly not raw actually) over it. That was when I was staying with my family – it worked quite well and I love it anyway!

Good luck with the job, sounds quite stressy that type of work, is it? Hope the new one is all you wish it to be ;)

The rant continues…

My worst ever meal? Was in Hungry (the country) for a work do. was not raw then but I have always eaten a lot of salad and fruit, anyway, meal was boiled white rice (that was made to go with beef stroganoff – obviously not for my tastes!) gerkins and chopped up tomato from the display (where they do that “make it look like a star” thing. so, rice, tomatoes and gerkin for lunch! lets just say hungry lived up to its name!

When traveling with work I try and take as much dried fruit, nut and the Nakd bars (can google then, but I buy them from sainsburys) as possible. I may take fruit with me if I have enogh room, but most places have a bowl of fruit avalible (have thought about asking for the obviously for display only pineapple to eat, but didn’t quite dare!)

One thought, do any of your hotel rooms have a mini bar that you could empty, put your food in, then refill at the end of the trip? I quite like stocking up at the litle M&S’s that are poping up at stations nowadays, they are quite good for ready cut up fruit boxes type things.

Glad you’ve got another job lined up, worst stress is thinking you may be unemployed, ugh, horrible thought. Sound like you do interesting stuff too.

• Hey what Naked bars, choc? like Shazzie? I haven’t got a local sainsbury’s, am interested if they do Naked chocolate! Yes that meal sounds gross. worst meal I ever had was when we first went to live in Hong Kong for two years. my husband took me to a local restaurant. The menu was all in Chinese with no english subtitles, so i had no idea what to order and there were these big aquariums with crabs and lobsters in, so people chose their victims (that REALLY put me off!!!!) to be taken out to the kitchen and boiled. Anyway, I asked the waitress for just a plate of stir-fried veg and hoped that she understood me. What I got was a plate of slimy stuff that looked like it had been dredged out of HK harbour. I never felt so sick in my life (apart from when I found a cockroach in my ravioli at school). Luckily, that restaurant was the exception not the rule. Chinese food in the UK does not remotely come near the taste of real chinese food. Unfortunately, not raw of course!

Update me on the bars!! I wanna know!

• That country is called HUNGARY!!!!!

Thats right pick on a dyslexic, sorry I can’t spell very well and don’t remember alternate spelling very well, but if I had to spell check every post (which wouldn’t have picked up hungry anyway) then I would be here for ever!

• Hungry sounds more like it to me!

Debs, no sorry not naked choc shazzie bars… Nakd bars (that is the right spelling) are raw dried fruits and stuff all mashed up together, heres the link

http://eatnakd.com/About-Nakd/Our-Products/

They are very filling so good for quick, but satisfying work snaks, sometimes I just eat half of one, cus they are so big.

• Sorry, no disrespect Flybaby, I see you are from Hungary.

Ah yes, I see now why you felt you had to coment flybaby! as debs says no disrespect meant, I just get a bit sensitive about my lack of ability to spell… The conferance was in Sezged (see I spelt it right!) and apart from being a bit hungry I enjoyed being there very much, was lovely and sunny and they had a chilli fest in the main square, yum.

• Thanks springleaf, will look out for them, they look yum!

“Absolutely impossible to take mini-blenders etc on a trip. I reckon the luck i’ve had with the saladaccio, my clothes would have ended up spiralised!!!”

Classic!

Made me laugh lots. You should have seen it – mini hand blender, mini food processor… had a suite though (only because it was last minute & all they could get) so I had a kitchen – fab!! Can you imagine though, I had a trolley bag mainly full of food and a hold all full of kitchen equipment!

SL – its so true about the minibars, and some hotels do have them so have used them when poss but had to resort to ‘can you put this in your fridge for me?’ (to the receoptionists) when there aren’t any too!

I could have done that this time really, I guess I just wasnt organised enough.

Have tried the Nakd bars, they’re good, very filling. I think Hol & Bar have a deal on them at the mo

Ah good! will have to pop into H&B over the weekend and stock up. Have looked on Nakd www and they are cheeper to get from sainsburys, even without adding shipping, so hopefully H&B can beat SB’s too.

• Wooot, you laughing at my spiralised clothes, clr??? U never know they could have used them on Britain’s next top model, lol. Anyway, good morning. We were supposed to have solar panels fitted today but the men said it was the wrong scaffolding (or wet leaves on teh line…I don’t know…anyhow, they have gone again and I’m glad, cos I don’t feel up to all the banging and crashing about. Don’t know about you two, but I feel right lethargic today, like its hibernation time. Time to spice up the smoothies I think! Or perhaps that mediterranean soup of yours clr with a filling smoothie from SL. Then sleep, snuggled up to warm cat…...

• btw, it took me ages to work out why I couldn’t reply to topic, but realised this morning I must have had a trial period and now I have to login, or something, cos I hadn’t logged in previously…...

Hi Debs, sounds like you have a good day lined up there, I am at work and it’s cold , wish I was at home making raw food too, feels like just this last week the weather has really turned doesn’t it? btw I logged on this am saw the redish colour of your pic and thought “who is the red person I have been chatting with I don’t remember that?!” then realised it was you… tehe. Small health warning, The filling smoothie is VERY filling I had to stop having it in the morning as was too much for my tummy to handle! Am currently eating a bowl of mostly raw (not the oats etc) musili with OJ that I have just squeezed myself, and that suits me better first thing. what do you have for breakfast? I am looking for something thats a bit filling, easy to digest and of course 100% raw.

Hi Guys, I too am at work, still in the lovely Maidenhead, home tonight woo hoo!

I have smoothies, my favs are banana date & spirulina or a young coconut with water & flesh & some cacao, yummy. I pretty much just throw in whats around though. I only use water with them now, before going raw I used juice.

Its the easiest thing for me as I can take it with me to have on the way. That said I have them at home at the weekends too. They’re really easy to digest and filling. I’ve started adding some aloe vera leaf to the banana one now and then too.

Snuggled up to a warm cat.. Oh how lovely, We wont be able to get pets until I get preg, stop work and go on maternity, (as we plan on only part time after that) so not for a while, planning on next yr.. :o)

Sooo miss animals!

• Well, clr, you can have my cat, she is deaf as a post and miaows like a foghorn at 5am, but we love her still….

Thanks for tip on smoothie, springleaf, it does look kind of nutritious but I will make an incy wincy bit in my magic bullet (indispensible) to try. Got no poppy seeds tho :( Sorry you’re at work, just think beautiful thoughts…..

Yes, I finally managed to post up a piccy. It was me at 15, taken in a beautiful bit of North Wales, with an infra red film, hence the greenery is in fact red (don’t ask me how that works!)

Actually, i’m a bit jealous of you in a hotel Clr, cos everything is laid on and no washing up, hoovering, etc, etc. Can we swap, then you can snuggle up to alarm cat and I can order room service. Deal?

True, true. I do find I get to chill out a bit more and get to bed earlier as there are less of the distractions of things I should be doing, such as those you mention.

Alarm cat, bless, if she doesnt mind being on her own all day then deal!

Great pic, the red is gorge.

Also, you mentioned a before and after, what a great idea, take them anyway and keep them for when you can post. Maybe that’s one thing missing from this website that we can suggest, a ‘before and after’ section – what do you think? I might put a thread in the ‘gone raw’ bit for K&R..

I was nearly 13 stone, I’m 10 now, yipee!

• hey that’s brilliant clr. Yes, will keep my dumpy fots for when the weight loss kicks in. start a thread! i’m sure it will get lots of response.

Sending supportive vibes to you, springleaf! sorry, i got day off cos I did nights couple of days back. I get jetlagged!

Hi Clr, thanks for the smoothie idea, maybe I just need to tone down how much I put in them, I will give it a go. Well done on the weight loss, thats fantastic! Ilost 3 pounds on my raw week and was pleased with that :-) Cats are so cool, I live in a rented flat but otherwise would love a cat, there is a breed called “maine coon” they are really big and soppy and friendly, would love one of those…

I think the idea for a before and after page is a good one too,

One last thing: Debs, what is a magic bullet? is it a blender? I read the comments for Zoe and chris’s cheese yesterday, they make it in a food processor and could not belive someone had managed to make it in a blender – guess who also tried that… explains why it was such hard work!

• I bought magic bullet from an infomercial thing (I’m a sucker for that stuff, but this has been a brilliant bit of kit) I think you can still get them from places like TV shop, etc, but not from shops as such. BUT I did see in shops the other day a similar thing by Jack La Lanne, who originally did a juicer (which I got from an infomercial, lol) and it did look good – not sure it would do the same thing as magic bullet tho, i’d have to look that up. Good thing about magic bullet is that 1) it does small amounts and 2) you put the stuff in the cup and then, after putting the blade on, you turn it upside-down to blend, it is therefore easier to get thicker stuff off the blades rather than digging around at the bottom of a blender jug. You could easily sneak it into a suitcase, along with spiraliser Clr lol. It is almost my best friend…. The motor does sound like its had enough tho, I am using it to death.

Shall we do a cat share? I will pack Pops off via Parcelforce with a couple of tins. No need to set alarm in the morning or anything like that, very easy to use like my magic bullet, tee hee.

Sorry I get sooooo silly after nights, it must be delirium.