Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• Is there a UK Meetup.com? That is a good way to organize RAW parties and RAW potlucks!

• I helps to have a lot of raw friends, raw parties etc. makes it fun and community spirit it will grow you will see keep on RAWCKIN’ it!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I am in the North West, we just did our last Potluck, they were very successful. If anyone is in the area I can point you in the direction of 2 Potlucks.

If you go on www.giveittomeraw.com there is a UK raw group on that where people put their announcements etc.

You wouldn’t believe the difference it makes to have real support, and be with other rawies, mmmm lovely ;)

• Good luck with your move Zoe.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Hello!! I just ordered a dehydrator off Ebay, not the best place I’m sure but better than nothing? It’s a Laser 2000, but if I can make my own dried fruit and veg it’s start!

clr-1976 I just read on the first page that you are from Aylesbury; I went to the Floyd!! Grew up in Milton Keynes before escaping (phew!!)

• welcome ladyD! good luck with dehydrator, i got no room at the moment but if its a good one, let us know?

• ps springleaf I got RawVolution, what a lovely book! and the China Study and Green For Life (cos I liked the look of it) so i will be busy reading for the next few days….

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi all, Debs, they’re both brilliant books aren’t they! I have not heard of green for life but shall look on amazon, however may have to wait a while as last few weeks I have spent about 45 pounds on raw and/or vegan books…

ladydaventry, Has the dehydrator arrived yet? what is going to be the first thing you make in it? I used to make lots of crackers mainly, ones with flax seed and sweet potato were some of my faves.

As for me, need to get some more of that mint concious chocolate this weekend! My sister is coming down and she is quite raw friendly and open to trying things with me so lets see what we can make. Mmmm.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi all

Hope your dehydrator has arrived LadyD. I sold mine on eBay last week and ordered Edwin (My new Excalibur Dehydrator) and Ive been having so much fun that I hope someone else is too. My first thing was Ani’s garden burgers and I can recommend them (I added dried tomatoes to the mix too). It was really good to beable to make a whole quantity of Ani’s black sesame bread – especally as I managed to get some black sesame seeds.

I have Green for Life too Debs and Ive read it two or three times now, I like her books, although some bits occur in all of them. Im terrible for buying books, but I so love reading them. Im trying to cut down on my fiction book buying by using the library and my friend with the same taste in reading so I can spend more on raw books!

How was the mint chocolate Springleaf? It sounds lovely, but I bet it wont last long.I made the chocolate tart from RFRW last night for me and my bf and he really liked it. I made half the base and put it in a 6 inch flan dish and then one third of the filling. It was very very sweet and the whole lot should have served 12 and mine easily served 6. I have the remaining slices in the freezer. I think next time I might put sliced bananas over the base and only make a quarter of the filling. Still it was unbelivabley easy.

Anyway have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Fee.

Hi Fee, Which book is RFRW? I want to start making more chocolate type things too, my bf is a bit overweight and doesn’t want me to cus if I make stuff he’ll eat it! I’ll have to make him thin first! We don’t have any SUK type sweet stuff in the house either so it would not just be a question of swapping one for the other. The mint chocolate was fantastic!!! buy some! if you like dark mint chocolate you won’t be disapointed I promise. With regard to the desert, I was talking about this with clr76 earlier on this thread, and sugessted those mini ramikin things, then you can make individual portions of pudding and freeze them. Why is it that the raw food puddings make enough for about 100 people! Your additional recomendation of green for life has my “one click ordering” finger raring to go and look on amazon. Must resist tempation…

Hope all our weekends are bright and sunny! ;-)

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hello all,

The ramekin thing worked out really well SL – I actually went and got a few mini flan dishes that have push out bottoms from a local cookshop. I made some little straw & raspberry cheesecakes in them with nut milk mush as the base.

Talking of nut milk, there’s a thread on here from someone who doesnt like coconut oil (saw it on the ‘being discussed at the moment’ bit of the homepage) and someone was talking about their fave nut milk recipe (sorry about the vagueness!! – Will try to post the link) and I made it this morning minus the lecithin as I dont have any. Well it was yum, I’‘ve not thought of adding vanilla extract before. Also I didn’t have enough almonds so I had half almond half brazil and wow its a gorge mixture! Made some tapenade and some guac the other night too so lots to snack on as working from home today – yeay!

Fee – Is the excalibur huge & do you think its worth it? I think it would really help me stay raw and have back up food (bread crackers etc) but dont have much worktop space.

I was using the oven here and there but I cant use overnight as my BF is a bit paranoid about leaving any leccy things on at night, especially the oven. The dishwasher fused half the house the other night for some reason, so that’s not exactly helped!!

SL – I made some raw choc the other day inspired by the Concious Choc hint of mint using mint essential oil and it turned out really well! I was really pleased. If I happen to have written it down (which I sadly doubt) I’ll let you know what it was as it was just as good if I say so myself!

Only prob was that I followed the ingredients on the C Choc packaging and added a bit too much salt so I need to melt it all down again really and add more cacao & c.butter to try to even it out..

How’s everyone finding staying raw with the colder weather?

Here you go:

Coconut oil with Nut Milk recipe link

P.S Started Yoga & Pilates, do an hour of pilates then an hour of yoga on a Tues (they happen to be straight after each other on a Tues night..!) Nearly killed me the first week but ached much less this week – Plan on Yoga again tonight, its great, if I thought I was doing some at home on my own I think I was sadly mistaken!! :o)

Hi Clr! How’s the new job going? sounds like the working from home thing is turning out well on the food front. I’ve checked out the nut milk recipie, but I know I’ve only got about 10 almonds left as the bf has discovered their hiding place and has been sneaking a few every night when I’ve gone to bed!

What sort of yoga are you doing? I love ashtanga, just starting again now after the shoulder op, can’t wait to get up to full speed. The little flan cases sound good too, must get bf thin so he will let me make that sort of stuff (he doesn’t stop me – just feel bad that he shouldn’t have any and then guilty when he does!)

Dehydrators: really really want one! nowhere for it to go tho:-( they should make little ones…

• Hey all, I really want a dehydrator – the oven is prob not as good as a dehydrator and it has to stay on for so long….yawn! I am going to try some of Matt Amsdens stuff over the next couple of days to perfect them as I have a veggie friend who wanted to go vegan coming down on Wednesday and I thought I might try and convert her totally! Her sister eats meat so I am not so hopeful there. We are going to the Tar Barrel madness that occurs every 5th nov in Ottery St Mary, it is completely bonkers as they light up the barrels and run through the streets with them (having got themselves thoroughly lashed up at the pub beforehand, so you can imagine it will be mad~) Will let you know how I get on..

I am hoping to get back to pilates and yoga. I have every dvd you can imagine, Claire Missingham, Barbara Curry and I got a brill Malibu Pilates chair which rocks, but my back has ached so badly recently, hence going to a chiropractor atm. Once I am in balance, I shall start again. Well done clr for getting into it again. Yeh sl, we should invent the high rise dehydrator for small kitchens, lol. Reckon they’d sell? Haven’t read Green for Life but could do quick read and give you low down before yu click that button. I’m like you Fee, I just have a huge library of books, cos they look good or they’ve been recommended.

Oh, I really want to do a distance learning course in Nutritional Therapy, am seriously considering career change, anyone know of a really good one?? Cheers all x

Yes, books are addictive aren’t they! I don’t have that many cus of the space issue, I read fiction then pass it on and keep the other books, every so oftern I have a clear out and take them to the oxfam book shop – but could do with another bookcase…

Deb’s: I have a small book on nutritional therapy I will look in it to see about training etc and let you know if I find anything out. In Lewes, near brighton, they also have a 5th nov madness thing going on, they have floats and burn effigies (sp?) and compete with each other to be the best display. Unfortunatly it gets very, very busy, and as i don’t like large crowds, loud bangs or not being able to get home I have never been!

Like the idea of a small tall dehydrator, like A5 size maybe, wouldn’t get much in, but mainly only me that would eat it anyway…

• oh cheers springleaf if you find anything about nutritional therapy that would be cool. There is one that sounds brill by the college of naturopathic medicine but its attendance (as opposed to distance learning) based in East Grinstead (I used to go to school there!) but lectures are all over UK inc Bristol (nearest) or Brighton (can stay with friends for weekends). Its really expensive tho and they charge extra for clinical hours and course material :(

Know what you mean about books, I thought of renting space in those yellow warehouses to cope with the masses of books ‘i have tee hee. I’m going to try and enjoy the tar barrels but in reality, it does scare me – last time I was there I ended up curling up in a ball and screaming my head off as one of them was heading straight for me, luckily he managed to avoid me but the barrels are heavy and they could so easily drop them on you..! I’m steering clear of the affray this time. Don’t blame you for staying in the warm! yes a high rise dehydrator could catch on like one that has trays up to the ceiling with automated stacking system so you can get the top ones to the bottom, sounds hysterical.

Arrrghh!!! Am Rubbish! Inspiration please! Rant rant etc etc..

Sorry guys, how is everyone? I am being RUBBISH and eating the house at the moment. Probably not as bad as I think but my motivation seems to have legged it.

Am currently munching on chocs that I bought from Tescos because I wanted the pretty box (hangs head in shame..!). The job is going well and when working from home am pretty much ok but soo manic and all over the place when at work that if I take stuff I cant store it and no-where to eat it (at St Pancras station alot of the time) so end up grabbing stuff..

Cooking for Harry alot as at home more and sometimes eating the cooked… Seem to have a chocolate addiction at the mo!

Also, got whiplash on Monday from a crazy London Bus driver so am very sore & having to physio/ibups/heat packs/cant sleep etc :o(

Right, sorry, am being a moany what-not. Is everyone else always good and 100% – How raw is everyone..?

LadyD is Floyd a school? Been in Ayles for 3 yrs.. MK is the most confusing place in the world!

Right, am going to stop the rant! And go and crack open a coconut!

Sorry! Any inspiration/frustrations welcome!

P.S – SL Went to the Lewes fireworks one year when living near Creepy Crawley.. Went by train to avoid parking nightmares and on the way back the train stopped for ages and there were kids (as in teenagers) running around all over the place, then police, then helicopters..

Turns out some drunk kids had been ‘train surfing’ and one of them got decapitated by a tree/bridge or something.

The helicopter we heard was heat seeking, looking for his head..

How Horrid hey??

Ahh Creepy Crawley, I spent nearly seven weeks there training with my current airline. I’m back there tomorrow to stay over before my early check in on Saturday. Fun!!! The Floyd as in Sir Henry Floyd Grammar, I did leave ten years ago and have never returned to Aylesbury! Back in MK tomorrow to see my mum and my cats, unfortunately any lovely raw food ideas go straight out the window when my mum is involved…

Flew out of LGW for 5 years! Who do you work for? I worked my way round Air2000 (as it was then), Excel, (before XL then going bust :o() then went to VAA training.. Thats basically how I got into what I’m doing now.. A long and winding road..!

• wow, air hostess convention! they should do raw food on airlines, stop DVTs in their tracks…..whaddyathink?? Do not worry that you are not doing so well at raw at the moment any of you, cos I have eaten sandwiches and biscuits with coffee and tea while learning about how to stick intravenous drugs into people today. Not only not raw but not really holistic either, :( will get there eventyally tho lol! good to hear from you Clr! by the way I went to school in East Grinstead many many moons ago…......think I said that already?

• Hi All,

I'm in the UK too, (unfortunately) lost in the wild North, no raw-foodist up here.

I've just been last weekend on a raw chef course on dehydrator in London!

Really enjoyed it and learnt a lot.

I'd love to meet other raw foodists for pot-luck, sharing etc.

Anything planned?

All the Best

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

here's a place for posting and advertising raw potlucks

http://freeraw.ning.com/profiles/blogs/raw-food-potlucks-and-meal

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi and welcome to this wonderful UK thread.

Whereabouts in the Wild North are you? Im sure there will be one or tow others nearby. I went 35 miles to a potluck at Chris and Zoes and met someone who lived the other side of my town!

The Raw Chef Course sounds great, Im hoping to do something like that but I think its going to have to be next year now. I would love to do one of Karen Knowlers courses but they are quite expensive. Maybe if I start saving now there will be one in the summer I could go to.

Oh well thats all for now except to say I made raw apple pie tonight and my non raw bf ate a whole portion (ok I fed it to him) and said it was ok! Needless to say I thought it was delicious and I am planning to have a double portion for my lunch tomorrow!

• Hi Fee, I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne. Chris & Zoe I believe are between Manchester and Liverpool ... still probably 200ms from here!!

I love to go to Russell James course but he is more than 6hrs train from me and will be even more expensive as I will need accommodation, but his web and recipes are fab!

I

• Hey Gayatri, welcome! I would love to do chef course but I need to go completely raw and that will take me a while. Don't feel isolated, you never know there might be quite a few rawies up where you are. I lived near Berwick for a while and the size of the veg they can grow is completely awesome! not sure why. Follow your heart on choosing the chef's course. If I had the energy and confidence, I'd love to open a raw food restaurant in Exeter near where I live, it would be soooo cool. Our local farm shop was on the BBC national news just now, so I feel I am in the right place.

Your recipes sound divine!!! BTW saw from ur profile you are cranial sacrotherapist. where did you train? you don't have to tell me if you would rather not ;)

Chris and Zoe, how is the move going?

Fee, how are you getting on??

• HI Debs - I love Devon, I go every year for a 1 week detox retreat.

I studied CST in London, I am a registered member of the CSTA.

However is hard to start a business here in Newcastle, very few people know what CST is about.

My dream... doing CST on a raw food retreat... Keep on dreaming!

All the Best ...raw

• hey gayatri what you do is cool. everyone says it works, even the most sceptical people but I know its hard as I trained in acupuncture and I'm no businesswoman so its shelved for now. was the retreat Karuna or sura? both at same place and i'd so love to go but difficult to persuade bf to go or stop him moaning if i went on my own. might try it next year tho, I'd really love it!

may ur dreams become reality :)

debs

It's all about following your dreams in my opinion!!! I trained as a biomedical scientist, I work as a flight attendant and plan to emigrate and open my own vegan/raw cafe in Oz!! In actual fact on my flight to LA this weekend I met an Australian organic farmer who lives where I plan to open shop. I just found my supplier!! Fate is a funny old game.

In other news I still have this awful rash on my face, I thought it was a cold sore but unfortunately not. It is a red rash on my chin that dries then blisters then dries again. It isn't as bad as it sounds but I have had it for a month and tried everything and flying only seems to exacerbate it. I tried no yeast, no arginine, dodgy creams etc...!!! I am being hassled to go to the docs but I'd really like to find a more natural cure.