Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I know you would never put Pops in the post realy, but look

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4623754.stm

some people! As a lover of the little critters (I have owned three in last ten years, hamsterless at the mo) I am always shocked at what happens to them. You tell someone you have a hamster and they usually tell you about a bad way a hamster they knew has met its end… :-(

Was just adding when I got and error message: It is also fun to make small salads and fruit salads for hamsters, it is a lovely feeling to share your breakfast or dinner with your pet (not from the same plate tho!).

• Oh God, that’s awful, and they are supposed to be people with brains! My son said at uni a hamster was fed a caffeine tablet during a party and it died – I was furious. Pete didn’t tell me who it was cos he could see I was hopping mad and he worried I was going to do something drastic. He and his gf have a hamster called Strawberry – its sooo cute. Especially when it is in its running ball!

Pops was dumped in a box on teh beach at Southsea (according to the woman who plonked her in a box at the PDSA) so I think she has had enough of boxes for a life-time! We do love her, only teasing that we would post her off somewhere. She makes a cute trilling noise when stroked but even shouting her name goes unnoticed, she is that deaf. We also have Phoebe, another cat dumped outside our house in Portsmouth, she’s very cute too. Glad these two loons got some kind of punishment, but I think it is ignorance probably, rather than malice.

• Yes, I shared my raw food with Strawberry when I went to stay with Pete. Phoebe likes raw meat, but Pops just stares at it and then looks at me as if to say ‘Ok, so where’s the real stuff’ Junk food cat!

Ah yes, the running ball, so sweet, they get realy good at stopping and going round corners, don’t they. Well done you for taking rescue cats. have you tried stomping a foot to see if Pops can feel the vibration? If she then looked around she would see you and would be like calling her maybe?

I have a friend who has also tried to feed her cat fresh meat, but it also is having none of it. Apparently they put sugar in cat food (they are allowed to call it a “mineral” outrageous!) and the sugar makes the cats like that food better than real food. She now feeds her cat a natural brand of cat food and says he is much improved and more friendly, I can’t remember what brand it is but I can find out if you want. (btw lots of the ones that say they are natural on the packet are just as bad as normal ones, like in human food the word natural is oftern abused in pet food too.)

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I know this is off topic, but just stumbled across it..

http://www.festivaloflife.net/

Looks great am soo up for that!

Have started the ‘before & after’ thread by the way, on the ‘Gone Raw’ Forum, watch this space..

Ummm yes, these things are good fun, to go to and buy lots of cool bits and bobs and be all raw-ified. They did one in brighton a few years back and I realy enjoyed it. Unfortunatly I am helping my partner look after his daughter that weekend… :-(

• God I would so love to go, I’m working tho :( If you go, let me know what it was like. Isn’t that the Vegan festival? Well done for starting thread btw, will take a peek shortly.

Might try the stamping foot, only it would scare Phoebs (she’s quite timid) if she was around. It might take a wok though, thinking of it, lol. She can hear high pitch, I think, because she sometimes responds to whistling. I worry if she ever goes out on the road cos she can’t see too well either and the other day she stopped the traffic (luckily) whilst she lolloped across to sniff something.

Too true, outrageous that sugar is called a mineral regarding cat fud, so far removed from what they should be fed really. If you find out the name of that cat food, would be most grateful. Whiskers they tolerate, but much prefer to hang out for the little tins of Sheba or whatever. Pair of spoilt cat brats but I love ‘em! know what you mean about the natural label. Thought cashews were raw, but they aren’t – so that’s hardly natural. DYW do raw tho, don’t they?

btw just made hemp milk for the first time, it was fab!!!!

• Sorry springleaf just re-read the post about the demise of hamsters and realised I did exactly the same with the tale of the caffeinated hamster….sorry, sorry, lots of hamsters have good lives I’m sure.

Don’t worry! I think hammies have good lives just some of them meet a sticky end. When my first hamster fell ill – she had breast cancer ! :-( I paid 200 pounds for all her op’s ect, some said I was mad… the second one ate through some speaker wire, got it stuck inside her, and then had to have a hystorectomy! she lived for another 2 years after that tho.

Hemp milks lovely isn’t it. I like it with some raw cacao powder and a banana in it. YUM

Will ask the friend about her cat food and let you know.

The cashews on DYW are raw, but somewhere on here are some people saying they ate them and felt ill… also I think they are v expensive…

This was the thread with the cashew info.

(Topic: New to Raw / Allergic to cashews?)

• Wow, sounds like you took in all the obs/gynae hamsters, lol. I would have paid too, but i know they generally have a short life cos their hearts beat so fast (and birds, mice, etc) funny we talked about animals and junk food but I saw a field mouse that was drunk once. It was no bigger than my thumb and it had a massive fermenting blackberry (the equivalent size of a large gym ball to us) and it was having a hard time standing upright! So sweet, tried to take a piccy but it didn’t come out. I got so close it could feel my breath, but it didn’t care, it just carried right on slurping, bless it.

Everything on DYW is expensive, and everywhere else, but was it you who recommended funky raw? I might browse..

I think it was Zoe, I’ve only tried DYW & The Fresh Network (got some yum dehydrated crackers from the FN which can recommend) so far..

I love your field mouse story, I’ve heard about a horse that ate a load of fermenting grain once and got so drunk he had to sleep it off, got no more details though!

Just been to Hol&Bar FYI the Nakd bars are 99p at the mo (the big ones) how does that compare to norm? I think whole foods has the same one for about 1.50

I have never bought from FR but they do look cheep I think Zoe recommended them. Have also met Rob and he is a sweetie so would trust his products because of him. Poor pissed mouse! bet he needed a lot of water to drink the next day…

• vegetarian alcoholic animals, like it. horse hangover – v funny! I wondered if poor mouse didn’t last too long cos it didn’t care if I was there, but i kept my fingers crossed for it. I don’t think it was bothered about anything really….reminds me of a story of a drunk in America who got swept up with the rubbish and put in the bin lorry, (which then crushes everything), he would have died but he was so massively over the limit he was relaxed and they say that’s what saved him! perhaps i shd try it more often….

will give fr a go, esp,on the recommendation. also, thanks clr re the crackers, i saw them – expensive – but if they are good, then it could be worth it. esp for work.

Hi Clr, I missed your post I think we were posting at the same time. In SB’s the 68g (large) nakd bars are 88p, my SB’s used to have cherry and choc flavours, now only has cherry, but better than none.

Hmm, I’ll have to check out SB!

Here’s some stuff I’ve found for you guys down south – Prob SL most appropriate for you as in Brighton

http://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=ZDg1M2…/New_York

http://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=ZzY2OG…/New_York

Hope they work – Have just discovered ‘give it to me raw’ and found their ‘events’ calendar!

Oh yes, have been to manna cafe, it was the one I was talking about the other day (really good!). Unfortunatly can’t go to either event for money, or previously discussed bf issues… but they both look good. went to the funky raw festival in 2006 and saw people doing Raw food demos then, they are really good, you get to learn the little tricks (like how to use a spiraliser! lol!) that oftern get missed out in posted recipies, and of course you get to try the food, yum. :-)

• Ooh is Manna cafe good? I have friends I want to visit in Brighton, so that would be a good place to go to then. When I was there last, we went to a restaurant with a fab view of the pier, as it was on the first floor – well, where we were anyway – it was a couple of years ago now, but lovely view, lovely food too (not raw, as I wasn’t going there then)!

Yes, have been there twice for lunch already, really nice food, am going to get take out from there for lunch today actually… :-)

I’m going to get mine from vitaorganic – yum! They do raw choc cake too!

Am very exited (small things eh?) Friday treat!

• Have a brill lunch you two, I got to tidy house for visitors (yes, the one I have to have an argument with about raw, because I never seem to avoid argumentative people, and I hate arguments – actually, I should say opinionated, and then I see red…

Good luck – I see there was lots of discussion on the thread you started so I hope that gives you lots of ammo!

Let us know!

Hi both!

Debs am planning to write more on your enzyme thread later when have time, not sure it will help you win your argument (discussion?) but might interest you.

Clr, yes I am very excited about the up coming prospect of lunch too. but my philosophy is that if small things please you then you spend more of the time happy :-) Umm, hope they have raw choc cake on today, I fancy a bit now…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It is our monthly Potluck on Saturday ;)) Anyone coming?

Chris is making ‘not Prawn Crackers’ with sweet chilli sauce, mmmmm!

Just green with envy reading these posts about just popping to Manna Cafe etc. I really am looking for a good excuse to go to Brighton and check it out.

Out nearest raw cafe is in Edinburgh ahich is 4 hours away, actually, London is only 3 1/2 hours away, guess that makes Saf my local ;0 We went there when we last visited London. We splurged loads of money at Saf! We had 3 starters and 4 main courses between the two of us, and I had a pudding too. We really enjoyed it.

• What is DYW? Does anyone has the link? I am trying to google it but the main page is not coming up :-(

Many thanks in advance.

The strawberry girl

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

www.detoxyourworld.com

it is Shazzie’s shop. www.shazzie.com

Buy the same stuff for half the price at Funky Raw www.funkyraw.com

Welcome, strawberry girl. Are you a fellow uk-ian too?

Have just had my lunch from manna, yum, big nori wrap with sprouted buckwheat, salad with sprouts, tom, cucumber, parsley (love parsley in a salad). and pudding was a purple corn cheese cake type thing, yummy, yummy, yummy. feel full and happy now!

• Thank you so much Zoe :-)

Springleaf, I am living in London since 2004 but I am from Venezuela. I am living in Epsom, Surrey.

Have a great weekend guys…the sun is out!!

xxxx

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The sun’s out is it? It is overcast, windy and rainy here :( What a difference a few hundred miles makes!