Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What You Ate Today

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Had a great weekend! Drove 7 hours with a friend to Cincinnati for his friend's wedding. It was Catholic, so very long and formal. And yet, no problems staying raw. :)

The wedding was Saturday and here's what I ate Sunday for the drive home:

9am: An apple from hotel lobby

11am: Lots of fruit salad at a buffet. I love buffets!

12-5pm: 4 more apples on the road.

8pm: Finally home, had about 10 mangoes followed by a couple of tomatoes

Definitely different eating-wise then I'm used to, but certainly doable. I had a whole bunch more bananas in the car just in case. It's always good to be prepared! :)

Swayze

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm tired today haha i stayed up way too late making playlists for my ipod and had to get up early for school.

but food wise, it's been delicious.

1 smoothie of 8 bananas and 1 can coconut juice

10 medjool dates- so delicious and caramelly

dinner is i don't know yet. it's not even 2 pm yet but i think i'm gonna go swim some laps to work up an appetite.

swayze, vacationing always messes up my normal meal times. good job for staying raw!! that's always my tough spot- social situations.

• For breakfast I had one banana and one peach and four glasses of water.

between breakfast and lunch- 3 glasses of water

before lunch- 2 glasses of water

lunch- a bit of dulse topped with lemon juice and sea salt and chia seed gel (1 tbs. chia seeds soaked in water for twenty minutes)...

after lunch- two glasses of water

the rest is a mystery...

• oh...and I'm new to this stuff...so could someone give me a critique of what I've eaten so far and let me know if there's something I should add?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

You didn't have enough calories for sure. That was maybe 300? You should try having 600-900 calories of sweet fruit for breakfast, same thing for lunch, maybe some leafy greens. I don't use seeds or seaweeds or salt.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I think it would be a good idea to include lots more vegetables - a good variety such as carrots, beetroot, salad leaves, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouted beans. You won't be getting enough vitamins and minerals.

the vegetables (carrot, beets, salad leaves), legume (sprouted beans, and fruits (peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes) won't have as many calories as sweet fruit, though. this person's body might be in starvatin mode.

• I've always eaten very little so I'm not in starvation mode. I just get full very quickly. I'm taking a multi-vitamin pill...is that enough?

oh and for the rest of the day I had one giant, juicy tomato, one kiwi, and one banana.

I know this is little, but I really do feel sick if I eat too much. I see posts of people who eat 8 bananas in the morning and 12 oranges at night and stuff like that...I just don't think I'd be able to do it. Could it be different body types?

Or is it because I'm not used to the new diet which requires a lot more substance intake due to the natural decrease in calories in "regular" food?

the chia seeds have a ridiculous amount of protein.

I'll def have more vegetables though...I feel I am definitely lacking in that. My parents are against this whole thing and rarely have veggies in the house. I'll have to go out and get them myself!

• also >how do you sprout beans???? and what kinds of beans?

I also bought a bunch of raw sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. what should I do with those?

• also, I can't afford all of that fruit!!!!!!!!!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

greenwood, I made the ice cream by whizzing up frozen chunks of banana in my FP and adding various other bits as I fancy. Sometimes I add mint and carob powder, other times blueberries or buckwheaties (or crushed nuts/seeds) for a bit of crunch. MMmm, this is making me hungry.

Today so far..

green juice of cucumber, apple, celery, romaine, lemon and ginger

handful of grapes

chia pudding

for lunch I'm having warmed buckwheat porridge with chopped apples and summer berries.

dinner will be baked sweet potato with a big salad.

No, your body needs nutrients from food, not from a pill.

• Ok, superfood2...I get that...but there are certain nutrients that are just less accessible on this type of diet. Do you know of any natural multivitamins that would be good to take?

Oh and this was my diet today (tell me if it's better)

breakfast- 3 kiwis, 1/3 cup of raw sunflower seeds, 1/5 cup of raw walnuts

10-ish ...chia gel (2 tbs. instead of one this time)

lunch- 3 medium sized carrots, dulse, a tsp. olive oil, coriander, and cayenne all together...then a giant thing of lettuce.

3-ish...handful of almonds and walnuts and dried cranberries.

and a mug of Good earth's original blend tea yummmmm...

was it better? what can I do to fix it yet?

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

If you're worried about getting all the nutrients you need, I'd definitely recommend plugging everything you eat into an online(or offline) tracker such as FitDay, NutritionData, etc. It will calculate how much you need and your totals for the day(or over a period of time). I think some might even offer suggestions if you're low in something(or search for foods with those nutrients in it).

Yep, fitday is a great idea, and you will see that a lot of nutrients will come from leafy green vegetables and fruits, and the nuts/seeds/oils should be consumed at about 1 ounce per day max. I'm sorry to tell you this, as many people seem to not want to accept it, but I'd be willing to bet your omnivorous intake or lacto-ovo-vegetarian intakes of nutrients were much, much lower than my (let's not use yours since you don't eat enough) nutrient intakes. You must get enough calories, and let it not be nuts/seeds primarily. Those are fine in moderation, but you need to eat GREEN LEAFY vegetables and fruits and not doused in oil and salt. Can you do green smoothies?

You may say that "this nutrient" or "that nutrient" is hard for you to obtain on "this diet," but "this diet" is not the problem - it's your lack of wanting to eat (I'm not saying you're a bad person, I'm saying let's work on this), and the lack of high-vitamins/minerals-containing items.

"greenwood, I made the ice cream by whizzing up frozen chunks of banana in my FP and adding various other bits as I fancy. Sometimes I add mint and carob powder, other times blueberries or buckwheaties (or crushed nuts/seeds) for a bit of crunch. MMmm, this is making me hungry."

Wow sounds lovely- will do that when I get a blender!

kim here's an example of a good nutritious raw diet for the day:

Breakfast. banana smoothie- 1 banana, handful cherries, 1 pear and some pineapple juice- blend in smoothie maker. Or halve a melon and scoop out its flesh and chop it up with other fruits and put it back in the melon case and eat with a spoon.The other half can be eaten later for a snack( wrap in foil and put in the fridge)

Snacks- handful nuts, handful mixed seeds, any fruit of your choice.

Drink fruit juice and water throughout the day.If you like herbal teas they can also be drunk as some have nutrients like iron and minerals in the case of nettle tea.

Lunch- salad- grated beetroot salad- 1 medium beetroot, 1 carrot, 1 spring onion, blend a bit of avacado with some basil or other herbs- mix all together. Or mix with mango chutney- see recipes on the site for it. Serve on a bed of mixed green leaves such as rocket, watercress, spinach and chop 2 tomatoes, a bit of cucumber, diced pepper to have with it.

Dinner- one of these- (see recipes on the forum for ideas) raw lasgane, cold soup, raw veggie noodles.

stuff a pepper with some mixed salad and chopped nuts

I don't see how an athlete or any active person could survive on such little carbs for energy, Greenwood. Are you sedentary?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Today so far..

litre of green juice

buckwheat porridge and mixed berries

carrot, cuc, toms, olives and peppers with hummus

apple and a handful of dried apricots

later I'll probably have steamed mixed veggies with mushroom polenta

will probably indulge in a bowl of banana whip too :-)

• What I've chowed down on so far:

-1 and 1/4 liter of fresh juice: carrot, orange, golden delicious apple, celery

-slice of key lime pie! (crust: dates, brazil nuts, almonds, raw honey, unsweetened shredded coconut. Filling: avocado, coconut oil, honey, lime juice - Snagged off RawModel.com :)

-large salad: zucchini, cilantro, spinach, red bell pepper, sunflower seeds, lime juice, pepita seeds, red grapes, olives, baby heirloom tomatos, avocado, and some raw vegan cheezy salad topper which is a mix sprouted seeds and greens crushed with some nutritional yeast (whole foods!)

-the rest of the bag of grapes I didn't use in the salad (total bag 2lbs)

-small handful of pistachio meat

-two cups of green/black mix tea (morning and afternoon)

It's only 3:30pm :)

"I don't see how an athlete or any active person could survive on such little carbs for energy, Greenwood. Are you sedentary?"

I am at the moment as the eczema is bad so I'm not out volunteering and cycling etc but I could eat all that and still have lots of energy.I think that's plenty.I've done 8 hour work days on fruit for breakfast or ryvitas ( or toast) and peanut butter, snacks of nuts or fruit and an evening meal of, for example- bean and vegetable stew and a veggie burger.

But then I'm only 5"3 so maybe being little means it's enough. Actually my friends think I eat quite a lot! I can out eat some guy friends lol.

I'm not overwieght or underweight either.

• Well since its 1:30 in the morning here I'll say what i had yesterday

Breakfast - Mango and berry smoothie made with coconut water, ground flax, walnuts and agave nectar.

Lunch - kale salad with avocados, sprouts, radish and a sweet mustard dressing. Apple for dessert!

Dinner - Raw Pesto with Zucchini pasta and a raw sprouted bean miso soup. (The pasta is one of my favs!)

A few snacks in between such as almonds and fruits. Mostly I enjoy big healthy meals though. I think later this week I'll try for a raw lasagna. Any suggestions for fillings?

Oooh nice meals juicebox! For a great raw lasgane try Jonsi and Alex's recipe- they make a lovely tomato filling and a creamy nut cheese to go in it. Their web link to their recipe book is in the new to raw section- they also have a vid showing how to make it.

• Mmmm Sounds awesome greenwood, I couldnt have pasta when I was just vegan (being celiac makes everything more expensive) but I love the great alternatives that people come up with. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Juicebox, you gotta try the spinach lasagna posted on Rawkin's blog.

(I tried posting the link but couldn't - do a google search on 'Rawkin spinach lasagna')

It's VERY good!

Today so far..

Litre of juice - celery, cucumber, carrots, apple, 2 x baby gems, lemon

Green smoothie - banana, spinach, kiwis, berries, maca

Fruit salad - apple, mango, pear, banana, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cinnamon

Couple of handfuls of cherry toms

Few dried apricots

My dinner later will be a big mixed salad and baked sweet pot wedges...MMmmm :-)

• so far..

2 bananas

Some of my "raw summer slaw" (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, scallions, summer squash, garlic, basil, dash of olive oil, ACV, sea salt and pepper)

Handful of raisins

Some of my "cucumber basil pesto soup" (cuc, avocado, basil, other misc. ingredients)

and later I will have another banana, maybe two, probably a tangerine, and maybe an apple. maybe.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

Yesterday was my first day 100% raw, and I fell a bit short nutritionally. I think making more smoothies will help me get my calories in. Didn't keep exact measurements, but good enough for a fair assessment.

7 bananas

3 peaches

some chia seeds

A papaya(think this is my first papaya as they're expensive, but they were on sell so I thought I'd splurge, not as good as I was hoping though lemon juice made it a little better)

A watermelon wedge

and a green smoothie(spinach, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas. Actually it turned out blueish because of the blueberries. Wasn't very tasty, but drinkable; hopefully I'll find a way to mix some I like.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Today so far..

green smoothie - banana, spinach, frozen raspberries, maca

chia pudding - hemp milk, dates, vanilla, chia seeds

lunch will be sliced cucumber, carrot, peppers, cherry toms and olives with hummus

got an apples and a few dried apricots for a snack later

dinner will be fajitas (only partly raw)

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Yesterday:

Miso soup with carrots and celery

Fruit salad with blueberries, banana, orange, almonds and cacoa nibs

1/4 portion of Avo cucumber soup made with 2 whole cucumbers, 4 celery sticks, one avo and water all blended together to achieve desired consistency.

2 flax crackers

Dried mulberries

Cherries

Green and Blacks chocolate (oops!)

• Yeah I was thinking of trying something like lasagna sv3. I think it would be amazing! And I do miss it so much :( I'll give it a go sometime this week (as I do have a zucchini in the fridge waiting to be used! :D

Let me know how the lasagne went juicebox.I haven't a blender so cannot make it yet. I wouldn't like courgettes raw though, wo would lightly steam them but the rest would be raw. ;)