Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Helloooo Raw Christians....

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, I agree that God gave (Leviticus) dietary laws which includes eating clean meat without blood, from animal that chews cud, cloven hoof (something like that).

I was looking for evidence of what Jesus ate… and if he ate meat. Now that I found Luke 24:42… I want to see if he ate other meats.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

The verse is very obviously about eating meat. Why else would he say to Peter “rise, kill, and eat”? There is no other meaning to that. The unclean animals(pork, etc) were what Peter was talking about and God was telling him that they were alright to eat now that the law had been fulfilled by Jesus.

I’m curious germin, do you believe it’s a sin to eat meat? Or a moral issue? I know that meat makes me feel bad as well as other cooked foods but I don’t see it as a moral thing. I see it as what makes my body feel healthier

Ummmm, troublejustabubble we obviously disagree with Acts 10.

I am not saying it is a sin to eat meat. I am merely looking for biblical texts that tell me what Jesus ate. Nothing more, nothing less. The search started several posts ago… (I’ve been out for a while) and when I ran into Luke 24 I had to share it. I already know about the Jewish/Levitical diet/laws, so this is not a question about what is permitted in your diet or my diet or anyone else’s diet. Just what Jesus ate.

I teach raw food classes and mostly to Christians, so I like to know these kinds of things for all the questions people ask or comments people make …but mainly for my own knowledge.

germin8-I wasn’t assuming your stance on eating meat….sorry if it seemed that way. I was just curious:)

Well we do disagree on Acts 10. Although your viewpoint is incredibly interesting. I hadn’t thought about that before.

So do you count fish as meat? I think Jesus was recorded eating fish several times. I don’t have time to look it up right now though:) Maybe this evening.

Yes, I count fish as meat. Jesus serving it is different than the bible saying he is eating it. I’m only interested in the latter. I’m reading through the bible, so when I run into another verse I’ll probably post about it. I haven’t had a chance to Google for them.

It’s funny how right now I just happen to be reading Acts and just read chapter ten.

I think I’ll read through Matthew at least to see about Jesus and meat. Again I’m curious, why is there a difference between Jesus eating and serving meat? because I’m assuming that when he serves it he’s condoning it in some way. I don’t know. Maybe I’m way off.

Yes, I agree. I think Jesus serving fish is his approval to eat it. I’ve mentioned this before… and it’s good to know what others think. But, I am only interested in the verses that say “Jesus ate X”. :o)

Great. You are reading Acts.

I think verse 28 helps to clarify what beany and I mentioned: He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean.

I think is about all the things deemed “unclean” by the law since Jesus fulfilled the law. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it.

Is it important whether Jesus ate fish?

I don’t care if I never eat meat again since it messes with me but I definitely think it’s alright to if you feel okay eating it. My husband is very trim and fit and he could literally eat meat every day and be happy and healthy and energetic. My point being I think it doesn’t matter whether he ate it or not.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Didn’t Jesus eat fish & honeycomb after his resurrection, to show that he had a physical body again & wasn’t just a spirit? I don’t remember for sure…

As for Acts 10 – I always thought it meant BOTH of the things you guys mentioned – That the law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ (so no more rules about what kinds of meat to eat), AND that it was now time to preach the gospel to the Gentiles (hadn’t been done before).

I have to check into that angie & troublejustabubble

I always thought Jesus came to fulfill the law and not do away with the law (that is the commandments?). And He did away with the sacrifice and all the ceremonial laws. But, I totally don’t know the details… don’t take my word for that… I would need to do research.

troublejustabubble No, it’s not important. It’s just… I like to know.

Yes, Jesus came to teach a higher law, so the animal sacrifices & such were no longer commandments for the people.

I got this in an email from a goneraw member named who can’t post on here because she can’t participate in forums on her computer at work:

I was reading the thread “allo raw christians”, and I arrive at the part where you guys talk about if Jesus ate meat (including fish). Well I just wanted to point out a little something about the multiplication of loaves and fish.Every time the Lord talks about it after the event he only refers it to the multiplication of bread. Apparantly the Hebrews’ sour dough breads (an art they learned as slave bakers to the Egyptians) came in two traditional forms: the round family loaf; and the festive, more finely worked oblong and top scored loaf! – with ovaled shape and fin-like vents cut in its top; it resembled a familiar form; that special loaf of heavenly bread was called – the “Fish”!.And in the French language (of latin root) the expression “broiled” is used to mean toast!” (So that when he ate fish and honey, he probably ate some toated bread with honey. Which makes totaly more sense taste-wise)

Fascinating!

I still don’t know that Acts 10 refers to what you mentioned… but I will look into that more.

Oh and you are right angie Jesus did eat fish after his resurrection.

Now, back to this “fish bread”... I need to get an interlinear bible and learn Hebrew/Greek or something. I haven’t heard of this before…

If the “fish” was really bread, then maybe he didn’t really eat meat…?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

germin 8, back to 2 days ago. I serve meat and SAD food to my DH and family, but I do not eat it. It is there choice to follow my example or not. Maybe Jesus felt the same. Through the 4 gospels, it seems He was more interested in life changing issues. Tho food did come up a few times.

• Hello Everyone, I have been reading all of these scriptures about meat. I still do eat fish about 2x month(sorry if that offends anyone) I would never buy it, we catch all of our own fish. My family also eats elk that my Husband bow hunts. My Husband always quotes Genesis 27:3, when we discuss hunting, or eating meat, among others. I must add that I am so thrilled that we as a family of 6 have not purchased any meat for over 4 years. 1 elk per year feeds them all. (the horrible treatment of most cows/chickens is what led me to that decision)

anyway…. I began my Christian walk only 8 years ago, at the age of 27, after growing up in a very atheist home. Seriously, the mere mention of any God in our home would have my Dad bringing out “The Earth and Man”, a giant book about how we evolved, full of illustrations showing the so called “evidence”. Of course as a kid, I believed my Dad, and was adamant that no God existed, even after marrying my wonderful born again husband. I was a tough case, for sure….Dad is still an atheist, but God is working on him.smile

anyway….sorry to ramble, I am getting to my question! I have been doing a lot of reading in the Bible for a few months now, and I often think a verse means something to me, only to be told that I have taken it out of context, or that it is not literal, etc. I am hoping that someone here can give me some insight into Romans 14, it seems to me to confirm what Beany said above. I am trying to figure out how to interpret certain verses, especially this one. Just wondering if anyone has some insight…..or knows of a good online Bible Study or sermon. Many thanks!!

I will go to verse 14. This is the explanation out of my Bible and I feel it covers chapter 14 concerning food.” Christians can eat all foods and need not follow the dietary laws of the old testament.” Mark 7:15-23 “Jesus teaches that the true source of defilement is not a disregard for external rituals or dietary laws, but a polluted heart that plots evil.” Now to verse 17. “Dietary laws are relatively trivial, and their fulfillment is not essential to Gods reign. Of far more importance is the fruit of the Holy Spirit.” Gal. 5:22

It seems chapter 14 is talking about the old testament laws.

I do go to another forum and many times there are questions on why did Jesus provide fish, why did God tell Noah to eat meat. For these questions there can be many answers. Mine has nothing to do with what most want to hear. ” know ye not that ye are a temple of the Holy Spirit?” Our food and total environment is so polluted that we have to eat, drink and live with this verse in mind. Removing all polluted foods and drinks (as best we can) from our temple (us) is making the best environment for the Holy Spirit. In Noah and Jesus time they did not have the pollution we have now.

cpagosa Romans 14 requires more study on my part. That will be the next book I read after Acts (reading through the bible). However, I so think beany’s post makes a good point.

cpagosa, Here is how I have always seen Romans 14.

We know that we are allowed to eat and drink however we like in moderation but if there is another in our presence that cannot handle the temptation we present by eating one way or drinking one way we are to respect that and eat like he eats.

For example. I know I wonderful man who, before he was saved, was an alcoholic and his entire family were also alcoholics. Once he became saved he couldn’t handle having any alcohol around him because it presented far to great a temptation and he didn’t trust himself. So during the holidays when there were get togethers he simply asked if no one would bring alcohol. So I, as another saved person, would not want to become a stumbling block to this precious man so of course I wouldn’t bring alcohol or drink it even though in my private life I occasionally partake in moderation. I would be paritally responsible for his mistake if I had brought and he partook. We are not to judge anyone for their preferences in food or drink unless it is sinful. Only God can judge. So I can’t judge my family for eating unhealthy food because I’m not the one responsible for their health. God is.

Of course there are many themes to this chapter which I have always found fascinating but I won’t bore you and keep going:)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I just realized that trouble had already posted one of the verses I was talking about trouble just posted. I see that as “do all things in good conscience. so if you can eat meat then fine, if not, then don’t do it.” This applies to all walks of life in my opinion, enjoying a fine cigar, drinking a beer or glass of wine, etc. It’s against legalism.

But honestly when it comes down to it does it really matter? All that truly matters is that as a Christian we proclaim the name of Christ and not get caught up on petty things like food. Those things are just side issues in comparison to Christ and his blood shed for the remission of sins.

• hylhyl

Woot woot! This warms my heart! Raw Christians unite!

I agree Caleb. But I do think it’s important to be aware of people’s weaknesses and courteous.

I don’t want to dress promiscuously because it will be a stumbling block to the men around me whether they be saved or not. I am causing them to sin by making them lust.

I’m anything but legalistic but it’s sooooo important that in our Christian walk we are as Christ like as we can be. It’s the strongest evangelism we have in this modern day.

• Thanks Beany, Germin8, Caleb and Troubles for your thoughts on Romans 14. I have been studying it. Now, whenever a well meaning family member tells me that I need to eat meat, I have this verse to help me explain to them that we are not to be divided over petty differences, and food is one of them. I also have a bad habit of telling people how eating mostly raw can help them with any number of ailments (obesity, high blood pressure, cancer) because it helped me, and I am living proof. I feel this verse deals with the judging part of that, but I really am not judging, I have a sincere desire to help people. Oh, if they would just listen! I hope everyone has a great week!

I guess a good testimony is the best way to tell others about raw eating. Older people especially like to hear how eating raw took care of RA.. All they have to do is look ate my fingers and they know I had a problem! Besides a good way to start is, God lead me to…......

• beany- you are absolutely right. Are the people you talk to about RA willing to give it a try? What a wonderful testimony you have. I know people with RA, and they feel so miserable most of the time. How long did it take before you got some relief? Do you need any pain meds at all?

cpaggosa Yes, some R.A people do try the vegan raw way and most stay with it. I never took pain pills.(a long story) When I saw the problem first coming on I looked into natural pills and a few years later, God lead me to a book on taking home allergy tests. Which was another real help. It took about 2 years of 99% raw vegan eating before I was able to completely drop all of my natural pills for RA. I think it took so long because of the creek water I was drinking. When I bought a distiller, all joint pain and deformation stopped with in a short time. Now, I have heard if a person eats the SAD foods for just one meal, back will come the inflammation. Not worth it.

For those who have gone to the DR. and got on there pills, they are able to start cutting back on pills after a few months of eating 99% vegan raw. I must stress the 99% vegan raw. When a person has a medical problem, They have to hit it hard and keep hitting it. I give it a one two punch. Prayer and food/drink.

My God is a good God. He always takes care of me. Just like He will take care of any Christian. Many times He will lead them in what to do, but other things get into the way. Usually well intended voices. So sad.

• Beany- I am so glad to hear that you are having success in helping people.

Interesting that your water was ailing you…I guess I forget sometimes how fortunate I am to live where I do. Our water is from the snow melt of the San Juan Mtns. and goes first into the lake I live on, no chance at all to get polluted by man before we get it. Of course, Man does add its “necessary” chemicals to it for our own good. I know from my many backpacking trips where several springs are, and sometimes I go and fill up a few gallons. Believe me when I tell you that there still is unpolluted water on our earth. Sorry to get off on a bunny trail…

I love your one two punch, Prayer and food/drink. I will be telling my friend who has RA, and of course, is on pain meds, among others, about you. I have been planting seeds as far as her diet goes, but she is of the mindset that she would die without ground beef. sigh. Thanks for sharing Beany!

Maybe if you did a search on ground beef maybe your friend would hate the thought of eating the stuff. I found out that dairy products has puss and blood in it.( on gone raw) I told my DH. Needless to say, no more cheese, whipping cream or sour cream. lolrof.

• dzdz

Christian Ortodox.100% RAW.Feel so good! Me and my Wife and our 5 month old babygirl Maya! She is the best. So much fun!!!

• Hi everyone. Just wanted to say hello. My husband and I have just transitioned to a vegan diet, but we are not 100% raw yet. We are christians and we just moved to Columbia, SC. Anyone in SC? We would love to meet some people here with similar interests!