Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What You Ate Today

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Neskalee, I eat enough fatty acids from the fresh sweet fruits and vegetables and an average of an avocado or two a week. I think people who do high-fat, processed raw don't get the nutrition that the high-fruit people do, but it's up to you. Sometimes people need the transition of the emotion-dulling, uneasy to digest foods before they can experience the lightness and energy of a high-fruit diet - I know I took a while to transition. Remember if you eat salads and vegetables and very little fruit, your diet from those vegetables is going to be so low in calories that any fat you eat will take your percentage of calories from fat VERY high, higher than SAD eaters, such as 60% calories from fat, which is not adviseable and will cause health problems, especially when you need carbohydrates (the simple ones from fruit) for your body to be able to function properly.

Joanna, those prices are ridiculous! I wonder if there's international markets near you where you can get some things?

• According to fitday.com, since I cut out meat and dairy (8 days) I've been doing about 10% protein, 63% carbs and 27% fat.

God that sounds so awful!!

It's all from avocados too and the few cooked things I had like rice and a tortilla. I agree with you superfoods, I'm clinging to it because I'm transitioning and it gives me that fullness and heaviness I'm used to. Even though I know it's a bad feeling its semi-comforting!!

I'm gonna pump it up today. I left the avocado at home!

I have

2 bananas

1 apple

1 nectarine

baby carrots

strawberries + blue berries

grapes

until 7 pm.

Good job - make sure you have fresh fruit on hand!!

• Ugh. We had a pot luck at work and I felt guilted into having a plate so I had a few bites of pasta salad because I didn't think it had mayo on it but it did and I am super sick.

But I wasn't at all enticed by the brownies or any of the cupcakes or other junk wooooo I'm so surprised. It actually made me sick to watch people shoving 7 layer dip and whipped cream in their faces. I'm doing good!!

• Oh really? Today I'm at 16% =)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

neskalee~ That really does not sound so awful to me. Keeping fat under 35% is generally considered an acceptable level, unless you are aiming for the 80/10/10 philosophy.

lulushka8~ :~) Yeah, I ate fruit ice cream (blended frozen fruit) for dinner often, for years before ever finding "raw". I thought it was totally cool the first time I offered it to my bf and called it dinner, and he said "cool." :~)

(edited for typo)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

16% is still very good, especially considering the average American eats around 40% fat and the average raw foodist 60% fat!

Swayze

6 c. local blueberries

2 c. strawberries

18 bananas

6 mangoes

4 c. apricots (local too!!! yay.)

Also will have a salad with spinach, kale, tomato, cucumber, and a celery-fresh herb dressing (no fat).

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Neskalle - If only every SAD eater in the world had the same attitude and will power as you seem to be having so far, the world would be a lot cleaner and healthier place. Good luck to you! :)

1 quart lemon water

10 cups watermelon

20 oz. green juice (kale, apple, celery, ginger, lemon, spirulina)

smoothie (3 c. mango, 1/2 c. strawberies, 1.2 cup blueberries, 3 bananas, 2 tbs. almond butter, 1 tbs. raw honey, and a heaping tbs. of Navitas' Twister Antioxidant Blend)

1 banana

1 c. globe grapes

1 c. mango

During the summer I find I crave LOADS of fresh fruit and rarely want any greens or avocados. Anyone else?

I also find that I don't want to eat many medjool dates, dried figs, and raw food bars anymore, in fact, not all really. When I first became high raw and then eventually 100% raw, all this stuff was a must. I also always had to have nut mylks and dehydrated crackers on hand.

I find now, after a year of high raw, and three months 100% raw that most "gourmet raw" and dehydrated foods VERY unappealing. They make me fell heave and they don't have and "juicieness" to them. Anyone else?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"I find ... most "gourmet raw" and dehydrated foods VERY unappealing. They make me fell heave and they don't have and "juicieness" to them. Anyone else?"

I've been there since the beginning! But, then again, even before "going raw" I ate way better than most SAD eaters. (Loved certain veggies raw, and loved fruit.) Rarely have I tried any dehydrated foods that I like. I made granola the other day, and really liked it *before* it was dried! The bf likes it- so, it's just me. ;~)

(http://easyraw.blogspot.com/search/label/granola)

Yes, I also am with you on that I want less dates, nuts, and avocados during the summer.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Today:

~half a rather large cantaloupe

~smoothie of banana, pineapple, raspberries, chard, romaine & nutmilk

~several apricots

~an Asian inspired "curry" vegetables over bibb lettuce; carrot, yellow squash, zucchini, leek, Artisana coconut "butter", fresh ginger, ume plum vinegar, curry paste --- yeah, I'll post it at some point :P

~several fresh figs

Hmmm, wanting something else-- not sure what yet.... Have kiwis, mangos, and assorted melons

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm not gonna lie- i ate total garbage today!!! haha however, before going raw, i told myself that i could eat whatever i wanted on holidays, so that's exactly what i did!! and everything i ate was damn delicious. the fireworks were awesome, too!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Had a good day today. Such tasty food :-)

Buckwheat porridge with sliced apple and raisins (sooooo nice!)

Carrot & hummus

Apple

Olives, sun dried toms, (non raw) crackers & mock cheese sauce

Raw spinach lasagna with lettuce

Think I may have to make some kind of dessert, probably frozen banana & a dash of cocao..MMmmm!

• Banana and buckwheat smoothie

Apple

2 cups raspberries

Lettuce and seaweed salad

2 nectarines

Green juice

Grapes

lulushka8*** (or anyone in cold climates!)

Have you got any good advice for eating high fruit during the gloomy English winter? I can't get enough fruit in summer but always crave more high fat raw in winter! I worry about buying too much stuff with lots of airmiles too which just about leaves me with apples, pears and blackberries frozen from my autumn foraging.

Any tips?

• ugh. High freaking stress level today led to bad bad eating.

I had about 1 cup raw guac with 30ish tortilla chips

6 grilled asparagus spears with EVOO, garlic salt and regular salt

1/4 cup brown basmati rice and a warm tortilla

few bites of watermelon

1 nectarine

1 banana

2 garden burgers

3 slices of lettuce + red onion + tomato + dill pickles

and a sip of coke!! ARGGGHHH

Blergh. Got lots of fruits and veggies for tomorrow though.

• Oh yeah, and I lost 10 lbs as of today since I went no meat/no dairy/semi-raw 11 days ago :)!!

• I'm still so new to this - the conversations about fat/carb ratios make my head SPIN. (I have no weight issues - only a desire for optimum health - ok - I guess a wee bit less fat would be great, but I'm not freakishly particular about that, and I'm 41 not 18 for goodness sakes...) I logged onto that fitday site and wandered around on there for a long while. It's a great tool to bring awareness to your food & nutritional values. I've looked at labels before, but fitday really had me account for what I ate and consequently I learned exactly what the food was all about, which is a first for me. I think I'll pass recounting here what I ate today, since I just spent over 30 minutes recalling, entering and calculating ALL THAT on fitday... but I will say I was at 38% fat, 47% carb, 10% protein and I think for me that is fabulous! blessings - Sara

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Good for you, Sara. That's a great site to take advantage of in the beginning. Really an eye opener, eh?

And

*Congratulations* neskalee!

Yes, it is unfortunate that high-fat diets (even raw) are unhealthy - no one has said this is fun information to learn. :) but everyone can respond to the information accordingly how they see fit.

Congrats, Neskalee!!!!!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, well done Neskalee - you are doing great!

I think when your body is used to fresh, raw, unprocessed, ripe fruits and green leafy vegetables, it's hard to want anything else; and when you do have something else, your body tells you almost immediately that the other items (with more nutrients for your cells and body heat!!) were better or preferable.

I'm getting some cherries, bananas, strawberries, and blueberries delivered today! also have mango. this week is my move, need extra fuel!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"no one has said this is fun information to learn."

Seriously?? I get excited every time I learn something new about nutrition! Drives the bf crazy, 'cuz I get so animated talking about it... lol.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

okay, i need to eat better!!!!!! today, i started with a big green smoothie of green grapes, spinach, and 2 bananas. i haven't been as raw as i'd like to be, so i'm determined to be raw today.

Pixx, I guess what I meant is it's not fun to learn that if you want optimal health, you need to tweak your diet once again and eat more simply. I think eventually it's pleasurable, but sometimes people need quite the push to change for the better!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

"Seriously?? I get excited every time I learn something new about nutrition! Drives the bf crazy, 'cuz I get so animated talking about it... lol."

Haha...I feel the same way. Although I can totally relate to the frustration at first. I spent so many years just trying to be healthy that by the time I finally learned about high fruit, low fat raw and saw immediate results, I was sort of pissed at myself.

Why didn't I know about this sooner?!? ;)

Swayze

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yea, I'm not pissed at myself, though, swayze, I am pissed at the docs. Why don't *they* know better?? (I mean, yeah, I know that they get very little training in nutrition--but why the heck not??)

And I am pissed at the vets. My poor cat went through hell last year-- not to mention the bills I paid. They never cured her. They made her worse. I thought I was going to loose her! I put her on a raw diet (bearing in mind, cat's are obligate carnivores) and she was doing better with in two weeks.

Schools and the media are teaching our kids (and unaware adults) that "milk does a body good", eat this, eat that, yadda yadda.

Ugh. It exasperates me.

Ok, I'm stepping off the soap box now....

Great day today! Took my dog out for nice long jog this morning, and since it rained most of the day I spent most of it inside reading the most INCREDIBLE book that I highly recommend ("Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture" by Ellen Ruppel Shell), and finished off the day with a trip to the mall. I like to go there on rainy days to do some speed walking. Hope everyone else had a wonderful day! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-High-Cost-Discount-Culture/dp/159420215X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246942094&sr=1-1

- 1 quart lemon water

- 3 cups juice/smoothie (2 cups of orange juice blended with some ice and a banana)

- 45 cherries (this was my "splurge" item that I purchased during my last trip to Farmer's Market. DELICIOUS!!)

- 1 banana

- Salad (3 cups lettuce, leek, two on the vine tomatoes, cucumber, 1/4 of an avocado, and 4 radishes with lemon and lime juice)

- 17 oz. juice (carrot, apple, ginger, beet, lime)

- 3 bananas

- smoothie (3 mangos, 4 bananas, handful of strawberries, raw honey, lucuma, maca, cacao, and Navitas' Twister Antioxidant Blend)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Buckwheat porridge with a banana, date, cinnamon, chopped apples and raisins (This is my new fav dish!)

Large green smoothie

small handful of dried fruit

For a snacks later I've got some some raspberries and an apple.

Not sure about dinner, think my bf is cooking a cauliflower/sweet potato curry.