Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What You Ate Today

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

"Yea, I'm not pissed at myself, though, swayze, I am pissed at the docs. Why don't *they* know better?? (I mean, yeah, I know that they get very little training in nutrition--but why the heck not??)"

I hear ya. Unfortunately, the general public does not understand that our health and well-being lies on our own shoulders. They would rather follow "doctor's orders" than question authority.

"And I am pissed at the vets. My poor cat went through hell last year-- not to mention the bills I paid. They never cured her. They made her worse. I thought I was going to loose her! I put her on a raw diet (bearing in mind, cat's are obligate carnivores) and she was doing better with in two weeks."

Again, I hear ya. My poor dog went through intense surgery that could have been prevented and then I was told that she could never run again (a Border Collie, mind you) and would be dead by age 9. Well, she's over 11 years old, almost 2 years raw, and runs like crazy! ;)

BTW, nice to hear you feeding your kitty MEAT. Cats are carnivorous, people!

Swayze

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

8 mangoes

8 c. strawberries (yum, got organic shipment!!)

6 bananas

32 oz. orange juice

2 zucchini

2 c. basil

6 c. or so cherry & yellow tomatoes

3 c. spinach

Something else later - lots of cherries, peaches, and/or apricots

• Thanks for all the congratulations. I'm down 12 lbs total as of today. It's becoming so easy for me to eat less now that I don't eat meat or dairy. Dieting in the past has always failed for me, I could never stop eating. Portion control was always a big issue with me. But now that I completely cut out these items there's no way for me to over eat. It seems silly because choosing not to eat something is the same type of personal restriction I tried to impose on myself when I wanted to eat less. I haven't even wanted to eat meat the entire time, it doesn't even smell good to me anymore. Cheese is another situation all together. God I want some cheesecake, but I'll live.

It's also easier for me to eat healthier and avoid meats and dairy because I've told everyone about my desire to stop eating these things. First and foremost my family and friends don't invite me to restaurants without veggie options and my dad and his gf have been conscious to make sure there are veggies on the dinner table (even tho they are cooked). So that's super motivational. Also instead of just facing personal guilt for a slip up I think I'm also motivated by the expectations of others for me to not eat these things since I said I've won't. I know that I shouldn't care what they think (most of them actually think I'm doing my body harm anyway) but I know I want to do this for me and it is a million times healthier, so any motivation that helps is useful in my opinion.

I haven't had as much luck upping my raw intake overall. I am eating a lot of raw fruits but having trouble consuming veggies raw (other than in a salad). Haven't been able to afford a blender or food processor as of late so I can't partake in any yummy smoothies. They cut my hours at work so I doubt I'll be able to get one anytime soon, but that's no excuse I'm still working towards more raw. Gotta give up coffee (its so hard!!). And I crave warm meals and richer foods like potatoes etc. It's how I feel full.

Either way I still feel a lot healthier and have a lot more energy and though I spend a lot more time researching foods and nutrition I feel like I'm no longer obsessed with food in my daily life as a means of subduing other emotions or passing the time.

Cheeseburgers=diseases, not happiness lol

who knew?

Enough babbling. I'll get down to business. Today so far I've had:

coffee + soy milk

salad with mixed baby greens, sprouts, sunflower seeds, a whole cucumber in slices, carrots, 1/2 avocado, sea salt

organic baked french fries =X

1 banana

• pixxpixx Raw Master

swayze~ That's awesome you've helped your baby (dog) to have a healthier life! (My girl is 16+ years old. Possibly considerably higher.)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Frothy cantaloupe smoothie (Perfect thirst quencher after my morning run)

Green smoothie: kiwi, banana, pear, spinach, apple juice, frozen berries

Salad with lettuce, toms, cucumber, sweetcorn, sun dried toms and apple juice dressing

For a snack later I've got raspberries and an apple.

My skin seems to be getting that glow I've heard about so much....but it could just be because I'm happy! :-)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

well, i talked to the grocery store manager about getting cases of food and he said he could get them, but he'd sell them for retail value. he also said the supplier doesn't do discounts either!!! wtf??? what's the point then?? people these days... all i want is a huge case of bananas and grapes (i'm not sure if they could do spinach).

these past 2 days have been at least 95% raw and i feel so much better. i'm having a smoothie for breakfast but i'm not sure what. i went to the farmers market and got an array of fresh fruits. i'm thinking it will be a banana-nectarine-spinach smoothie. yeah, that sounds damn good.

neskalee, great job on the weight loss! It seems like you are really getting a hang of your diet. Having good support like you do helps too. :)

pixx, I'm just so glad I didn't listen to my vet. I'm sure she would be gone by now if I had. I've heard australian shephards (a close cousin of the BC) living till almost 30 years old! While I don't expect it for my girl, a few more years would be excellent indeed.

joanna, now I want nectarines and I haven't even worked out yet! Thanks a lot... ;)

Swayze

• Today has been a great food day, despite the neverending rain!!

Green Smoothie with banana, strawberry and kiwi (amazing combo w/o all the artificial crap!! :)

Sprouted lentils with a tomato and basil puree sauce

I have a nectarine and some cherries for this afternoon and am thinking a simple salad for dinner.....

Joannabanana and Swayze - I am with you on the nectarines!! They are my "favoriteist"fruit and I have been having one or two daily!! YUMMY

• Swayze & pixxx: What kind of food do you two feed your pets? I'm thinking of getting a small dog and want to know healthy options for him/her!!

lulush, sounds like a deliciously raw day. What is courgette? A type of green, perhaps?

neskalee, I feed my pets raw meat, bones and organs, with a focus on raw meat. The ratio is actually close to 80/10/10, with 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ.

Here is an excellent Yahoo group to join. They will provide you with lots of great info on feeding your pet a species appropriate diet:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/?yguid=329236134

Swayze

• Breakfast:

Green Lemonade (kale, celery, lemon, apples, ginger, in the juicer)

Snack:

1/2 cantaloupe

tangerine

pluot

fresh squeezed OJ (always so yummy!)

Lunch:

coleslaw with carrots and currants

Workout Snack:

Lara Bar

Dinner:

Avocado and Veggie sandwich on sprouted grain bread

• Thanks for the pet food tips! I'm going to get a small breed, probably a chihuahua, so organic won't be a problem since I won't need to buy her/him that much food hopefully.

Today I am super hungry, out of fruit at work and still jonesin'. So far I've had:

2 nectarines

2 medium bananas

1 apple

coffee + soy milk

a tortilla

sliced peaches

going to have maple oatmeal later , probably a garden burger with veggies and guac for dinner, frozen bananas for dessert with cinnamin mmmmm

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Pre-Breakfast:

- 1 quart lemon water

Breakfast:

- 2 cups of Green Smoothie (2 dinosaur kale leaves, 1 cup raspberries, a banana, 1 tsp. maca, 1 tsp. spirulina)

- 2 cups pineapple

Snack:

- 20 oz. juice (carrot, beet, pear, ginger, lime)

Lunch:

- 3 sheets worth of jicama veggie nori rolls (jicama, bell pepper, tomato, onion, mung bean sprouts, onion, dulse, miso, noma shoyu, romain lettuce)

- A radish

Dinner:

- 5 cups of fruit smoothie (3 mangos, 3/4 cup blueberries, 3 bananas, handful of cherries, raw honey,cacao powder, Navitas' Twister Antioxidant Blend)

• Yesterday:

B: three plums

Snack: juice of four oranges

Snack: organic chocolate

L: large salad with tomato, avocado, green leaf lettuce, lemon juice, bragg's

D: strawberry and romaine smoothie

So far today:

B: four peaches

Unfortunately I graze on junk food at work so my intake is not as straightforward as what is listed above.... ugh. A few fun size candy bars. Anyone else have this problem? I just have this chocolate addiction I can't shake and raw cacao doesn't do it for me, besides the fact that it's far too stimulating for me to handle. If I could get rid of the chocolate, my diet would be extremely clean. I think it might be a chemical-emotional addiction but I'm not positive...

• B: 4 peaches

L: Nori rolls with avo, bell pepper, cucumber, bragg's

D: strawberry, romaine, vitamineral green, orange juice smoothie

Snack: cacao hemp milk

• pixxpixx Raw Master

neskalee: Since swayze & lulushka8 petty much covered it, all I am going to add is that you can do a search for "raw prey model diet" and will get lots of info. I would provide some links, but most of mine are cat specific. My girl has many of her teeth removed (due to her illness), so I give hers ground. Here is the source I use, if you decide to go that route: www.hare-today.com . And another (I have not used): www.prey4pets.com .

Pretty, sounds like you should eat more sweet fruit/simple carbohydrates when you want junky/omni cooked chocolate.

Smoothie of fresh OJ and peaches = 50 ounces

4 mangoes

1 c. pineapple

1 c. honeydew

1 c. strawberries

6 c. apricots.

Surprisingly little but I had a long day at work, not much time to eat. Making up for it today. ;)

• Already had my daily dose of coffee + soy milk.

Last night I blew it big time and ate spinach/artichoke dip with parmeson. God it so good, and the bad part is it didn't make me sick at all ugh!! I only had a little bit though but I really couldn't help myself. Oh well, onwards and upwards...

On my desk for today:

miso soup

1 apricot (a friend brought me)

2 nectarines

2 lrg bananas

baby carrots + 1.5 tbsp organic PB

tortilla

YUUUUUUUUUUJMMMMMM!!!

6 c. cherries

3 c. nectarines

9 c. blueberries

2 c. strawberries

26 bananas

10 c. spinach (local. i ate this while walking outside, so good. people stared ilke i was nuts. yet people who walk around eating chicken's wings and french fries are normal....or maybe they thought i was pretty. haha)

Later I'm going to have 4 c. local tomatoes and some celery and a cucumber

this is my 3rd day of no overt fats ( no avocados, nuts blah blah blah). it's a lot harder to fill myself up than i thought. i've had a few smoothies today and a couple of bananas, and now i'm eating this gross salad. haha i made a dressing of celery, banana, and apricot- totally disgusting!! what good fruit/veggie dressings do you guys make?? i like creaminess in my salads (i always used guacamole) and i'm just accustomed to it now.

I blended up cherries and lime juice and that was good.

I also have made an herb, date, mustard dressing (that is green and kind of creamy).

• Salsas make good dressings. I use them alot when I don't want fatty dressings. Mango and tomatoes was not too bad. Blended cucumbers and basil?

A vegetable blended with the juice from Bubbie's saurkraut is the bomb.

As for eating those fun-size candy bars everyday...I'd rather eat a cooked cacao candy bar from my health food store that is not loaded with all that fructose corn syrup and gawd knows what else. My HFS has tons of cane juice or agave sweetened chocolate bars that are pretty pure over over the typical candy bars.

Peach

Apple

Cantaloupe

1/2 Pure Bar

Celery Rosemary soup

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Not a bad day today although really had the munchies this evening:

mellon smoothie

green smoothie

salad

couple of handfuls of dried fruit

couscous & steamed veg

raisins

raw choc treat

raw tomato crisps

crackers (not raw)

superfood, that dressing sounds quite interesting. do you think dates, basil, ground mustard, and water would work??? i grow my own basil and mint and i'm thinking those would be good. i like my dressings to be savory, rather than sweet. i think spinach tastes awkward with a sweet dressing.

Basil is excellent! This is what I was using last time I used dressing, but the salt and garlic are optional and the mustard is not raw, of course.

I put in about 3/4 c. water, 2-3 dates, optional clove of garlic, pinch of pink salt, 1 T. mustard (dijon or stoneground), 6-7 spinach leaves or collard leaf, 2 T. basil, 1/2 c. cilantro, and 1/2 c. parsley

• Re: raw pet food:

Thanks for the tips guys!

follow up question: How much do you feed your animals per day? and where do you get this from? do you go to the grocery store and ask for bones and organs at the meat counter? lol

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Superfood2, if your dressing recipe is not already in the Gone Raw recipe collection, please consider posting it there. This sounds delicious, and if left here will be lost to users searching for a good salad dressing recipe. A raw mustard could be substituted to make this a truly raw recipe.

Here's a recipe for raw dijon mustard: http://www.goneraw.com/node/678. There are several others; I just pulled this one as an example.

Hope you decide to post your recipe.

I feel so good today!! 4th day on 811. It's cool that I can really taste my food now. I used to sea salt and maple syrup a lot but now I don't even crave it. I have no cooked food cravings either.

For breakfast- I'm having a huge smoothie (4 nectarines, 2 bananas, and water). The farmers market had these gigantic nectarines and they are just heavenly.

Sure, I"ll post it. Never occurred to me, believe it or not. haha I'm always on the forums but not the recipe section. I've tried the dressing with mustard seeds but didn't like it. I didn't even know if the mustard seeds were raw in the first place, too. But the mustard has little to no calories, too. :)