Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mangers in a Mange land...

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Ooh, kebabs? I have seen Carol Alt’s book, but haven’t bought. Does anyone have Alissa Cohen’s book? I read some of her intro. stuff at the bookstore & like her approach/personality, but didn’t have time to look at recipes. It sounds like she may have some less time-consuming ones? I borrowed Juliano’s book from a friend when first raw, but too overwhelming for me then.

Luna – Yeah, I like your pic, too! I was wondering when we’d see you.

I didn’t know Caspian was out – I didn’t see the first one yet, but I loved the books (read them when I was a teenager or younger), so I’ll have to see the movies. It’s just one of those things I don’t usually spend money on, but I have been wanting to see a movie lately. Is the first one kid-friendly? I would assume it would be, but I hate getting a movie and then my son gets traumatized cuz I didn’t know there was a huge scary-realistic bear scene or something.

om – My dad had me make a comment for him somewhere else on here, and he said to tell them he recommends your snacks! He has been eating one or 2 meals per day raw, and sometimes snacking on fresh fruit or raw nuts besides. He works through the night and comes home without being tired/falling asleep, unless he has been eating pizza before work or eating non-raw snacks on the job. He is loving how he feels and the fact that the other guys are crying to go to bed and he can come home still awake and energized! He needs some kind of chips or salty snacks for work, I think, so I am thinking of making some seasoned pistachio nuts or some flax crackers or something. He bought some Quaker brand baked snack mix, and he loves the taste, but he said it was making him tired. I am amazed at how much he has changed in just a few weeks! I didn’t realize it until yesterday, because I’m usually gone when he’s awake at home. But yesterday, we had a chance to talk, and I am amazed :)

I was at the hfs & wanted to look up Carol Alt’s recipe to see if worth buying the book, but I couldn’t remember what I was supposed to look up cuz I’ve had so many recipes & ideas running through my head! :D Anyway, I glanced through, and it doesn’t look like she has a whole lot of recipes – are the few worth it? Those kebabs sound pretty good!

Okay, I guess I’m the only one on here today, just talking to myself :D Anyway, I have nut burgers dehydrating now, and I’m planning to make the raw bacon from this site (queenfluff’s recipe) – should be ready tomorrow night – so I’ve been thinking of all kinds of raw versions of burgers I used to eat: cheese sauce with mushrooms, guacamole & bacon with lettuce & tomato, mayo/lettuce/tomato, etc. I have mushrooms marinating, and I’m going to attempt a cheese sauce next. Later, I’ll make mayo and guacamole.

The burgers I’m making are HUGE cuz I was going from a recipe that said to do a certain # of burgers from this batch of stuff and I figured it must shrink a lot from the dehydrating – nope! I guess I adapted it enough that it changed the size, or she just likes huge burgers :)

So as I turn over this massive burger, I remember a crazy thing I did once on a date back in the pre-raw day. This guy I knew found out where I was from and asked me if I had ever eaten at this place that serves a 1-pound hamburger – no, I hadn’t, so we decide to try it! This was not multiple patties stacked on a regular bun like some fast-food places have now; it was HUGE - like 8 inches across and really thick. Yuck, I know, but not at the time. We went to the place and I don’t remember if we had a bet, but I remember that guys never thought I could eat very much, so I sometimes had fun seeing their reactions. I ate my whole burger, plus my beans and soda, and then I ate my date’s beans cuz he was too stuffed! I guess that’s why I have a hard time hearing people say they could never eat raw because it wouldn’t fill them up heehee :)

Hi, st! I didn’t know she had more than one book – yeah, the raw meat thing really turns me off, BAD! Even when I was still eating meat. I looked through this bok and even though she is a raw foodist, she suggests using manna bread and Ezekiel bread, which are not raw. I can figure out how to put raw veggies on cooked bread for a sandwich, heehee. The kebabs sounded really good, though, so I was wondering if there are enough like that, but I may just look through several books and decide which one(s) are worth it to me :) Or, I’ll just wait until I have a book out and I’ll know I like the recipes! HAHAHA!!:D

My burger experiments are making me think of another party night – a raw burger fest! I was a nanny for some people several years ago who must have been vegetarian now that I think about it (the only animal product I remember was some kind of natural cheese), and they used to make lentil burgers! I had never eaten vegetarian or even very healthy before that, but I loved the taste and feeling of eating the sprouted wheat bread, avocados (they never allowed themselves to run out, and I had hardly ever tasted avocados before), etc. And those lentil burgers! The first time I tried them, I was nervous. Now it has been 14 years, and ever since someone mentioned lentil burgers on here the other day, I haven’t been able to get the idea of raw vegan burgers out of my mind! Then I started thinking of all the toppings I used to have on regular burgers, and it’s getting crazy!:) I just made the guac but have yet to do the cheese sauce, bacon and mayo. I think I want to do a barbecue sauce, too – any good recipes/ideas for that?

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey ang, tell your dad thanks. I like carol alts book only for three recipes, ani phyos for almost all of them and sadly julianos for like four recipes, i actually bought it for the essence bread and that stuff was narsty!!!! plus quite honestly why didnt anyone tell juliano what a fashion victim he was for those pics? ( oh how bitchy of me;) anyhoo, the barbeque kebabs where devine! im gonna try a rutabega based burger tomarrow and throw it in the D didnt have time today was birdy shopping with some friends, she bought a baby eclectus 5 months old, and soooo cute…but this place we went was…shall we say…..three inches from being condemed, the wierd thing was is that the birds where in great shape, the house and yard where shocking!!! wonderful knowedgeable lady but somewha of a hoarder from what i can tell..i fell fr the aby ring necks and will pick up mine in a week hes alittle cinnimamon boy ring necks can be found all over india and indonesia…so i want an authentic indian or indonesian name/word….anyhelp would be appreciated…this is my fist foray into parrots but these guys where sooooo cute!!!! oh and angie i reccomend kale crisps for your dad form this site and seed cheese and celery ,even my delviled eggs on here! no reaon he cant munch on bacon you are making like a snack too. gonna run for now busy weekend!!!

hey berry glad to see ya back! this site was outrageosly slow for me too!!!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Hey guys, yep, that’s me! Still sorta hard to see exactly how I look! Don’t want you all to start stalking me or something!:)

I like burger number one in Julianos book.

I just got home from a wonderful walk with my mutt. Our nest door nieghbour used to have a Bull Mastiff, but he passed away a while ago, and the harness they used to use walking him was still hangin around, with nobody to use it on.:( So he gave it to us! it goes around her neck, and has two strps that go under each fore leg. If she pulls, it cinches up under her arm pits and she no like! It was like the hand of God was walking her! Events that would have had her drag me across the street to get to before, didn’t get her far with this blessed thing. Cats running by, bunnies, other dogs, she pulled only so hard that i could control her with one arm. Keep in mind she is 105 pounds and very strong. I love this contraption. It doesn’t hurt her, it is just uncomfortable if she pulls too hard. believe me, getting hit by a car as she dashes out after a squirrel, will hurt US a whole lot more!!! VERY happy. She on the other hand had a pretty long face after the first time we used it. She is getting used to it now.

om – hope the hubby is getting over the migrain. I used to get them. NOT fun.:(

om – Ha ha ha! Juliano is such a tacky dresser! My hubby thinks he’s a freak! HA! I have only tried a few things from the book. Too bad about the essense bread. Thanks for the heads up though, now i won’t bother trying it!

Well, there you go. Now you can see me! No stalking please!;)

• Okay, I am back! After a few days haitus, healing my cuts. :) Still tough to type, but I can manage it with both hands.

I’m going to have to read and catch up on goings on. I don’t have any raw recipe books. I tried to find some at my library, but no go. My library is tiny, like my crazy New Mexican town. I can’t afford any new books at the moment, so I shall have to continue to find recipes online.

om – I’m so sorry your hubby has migraines. Yuck, what a difficult thing to endure. I hope he’s feeling better today.

morning playmates, im happy to report that thus far hubby and i have not had any new bruising, or pains to report! teehee ah well, i worked in the yard yesterday and put in some more herb pots…some creature was eating all my basil so finally had to replace that..hurumph and i broke down at target the other day and bought those topsey turvey things for my tomatoes, i had started two pots and depite my rollng them around on casters i dont think i gave them the best start, they developed critters right away…of course im using heirlooms from seed ….it gets so hot here midday that it seems most things fry and i am not a gal who likes to hang elaborate shade cloths ect ect…so i put the pots on casters and rolled them around, sigh the chickens sat on them and they just dont look great so i bought two plants to try in these turvy things…wish me luck!

angie how goes the burger experiments… i swear i only like ani phyos recipe..i tried those rutabega ones, eh…. and the barbeque sause for the kebobs form carol alts book…eh i like the mariniade with out the actual sause…i then experimented a bit with the sause but still it was too pastey or something i even added non raw moleasses nothing helped!

luna love all the new pics, you remind me of a childhood friend i had when we lived in ottowa(sp) her name was lisa she had a brother named jeffrey and we used to sled down the hill near our homes! her grandparents had a dairy so we would walk to shool in the freezing cold and hang our snow suits in the heated cloak room and lisas always warmed up to smell like a cow barn! i loved that about her! this was way before i got to have horses!anyhoo, im sure you are not her but seeing your face brought back some fun childhood memories….note:im not stalking you! teehee

on that subject( the saftey of the internet)what are everyones thoughts on that? im so naively trusting…and kindof like, why would anyone bother? i mean i have two work websites, are those unsafe too? anyway jsut curious to see what you all think

hey birdie, i bet the internet is a better sourse for recipes as i boutght several books that i only use 3 recipes out of and i made a bunch believe me! i usually try my own stuff after being inspired by traditional nonraw recipes…..lately im all about nuts again,so im prepareing more elaborate stuff.

we are doing an open house in two weekends this will be the second one wow, is the market slow!!! i jsut want to get outa here…i know ill miss some aspects of socal living but holy cow not the cost of it! i wanna try small town living for while( you can give me pointers birdie!) ive always lived in a suburb type environment of a larger metropolis even in maryland while i lived inthe country i was 30 miutes from the city, and here in socal the city is 45 minutes away but it seems each little community has its own structure, we are prety remote i guess, but the closest home depot is only 11 miles i always point that out to prospective buyers….anyhoo..im off to browse other threads have more tea and do my yoga, have a fabulous day guys!

• Good morning everyone , just checking in. My days are so busy now I rarely get a chance to even look at this site. Hope everyone is doing well.

Luna- Glad to see you, for some reason I think I knew that was what you looked like from your personality.

Peace

Hi, guys! I tried to make a cheese sauce, and after a while I decided I wasn’t going to waste any more ingredients, so I quit. I decided to use it on my burgers anyway so as not to waste it all – it was like a quart of sauce! Anyway, once I put it on the burger and put the marinated mushrooms on it, it soomehow tasted sort of cheesy! And the burgers, well, they would never fool a meat-eater, but they somehow had an almost smoky/barbecued flavor! They are definitely a keeper. :) I had some on a plate with the cheese sauce & mushrooms, and some wrapped in lettuce with guac and tomato, and some more (again in lettuce) with mayo, tomato and sliced avocados. The rest of the burgers went into the freezer this morning. I realized I have gotten dehydrated with so many dehydrated shacks to get me through school and not drinking enough water because I have been in a hurry and forget to drink as I’ve been running around like a crazy chicken. The dehydrated burgers didn’t help, but they’ll be nice to have later on. I have some more painting to finish before my final presentation today, and then an open-note final for my computer class later this week, and I start new classes next week. Woohoo! It looks like I’ll pass these dang things (classes) after all :)

om-I sent you another email about some of the foods you sell – heads up! Also, if you plant an onion next to each tomato plant, it keeps the tomato worms away.

luna – It’s fun to see who I’m talking to – I’m not so good at guessing what people look like :)

birdie – I guess I missed what happened to you – cuts? But as for recipes, I agree that I like getting them online.

Hope everyone is doing well soon, if not yet.

ardes – so I LOOK insane? :)

om – Wouldn’t it have been crazy if I had of been that childhood friend? Now that would have been a small world!!

i went to a Blue jays game today. They played against Detroit, and we lost. :( But the great thing was we made a quick trip down into China town and I got a 3/4 of a pound of gogi berries for 3 bucks! I also bought a durian. i am going to open it up tomorrow. i hope I like it better than the durian shake i once had!

Do any of you know how to tell if the durian is ripe and ready to eat?

• angie – what recipe did you follow for the cheese sauce? I haven’t attempted anything like that yet, and I’m excited to give it a whirl. (ha ha, pardon the pun) Speaking of blenders, I received my cuts from my blender accident… see the “it was a RAW disaster” thread. Yikes! I’m so glad you feel positive about classes today – YAY!!!!! Now, if only I felt that way today, my students were insane, I tell ya, insane!

luna – your photos are gorgeous. I noticed your other photo, too, and think you have a very sweet presence. It’s gotta be the raw food. Sounds like your trip to Chinatown was… fruitful!

I have never had durian. Isn’t that the fruit that smells weird??

birdie – thank you so much for the compliment! Yes, saying that durian smells ‘weird’, is being polite!! It reeks like a gas leak!! But I have heard WONDERFULL things about it!!

luna, step away from the durian, put take it for along walk in the woods and heave it as far from your person as possible! thsoe things suck…i hav e never put anyhthing in my mouth as disgusting as a durian since my childhood mistake of trying balut( thats a dead half developed duck egg thats been “fermented’ fewer things have caused that kind of gag reflex but the durian came close!;) i dont care if they cause your ass to shrink, your boobs to grow and your IQ to triple..i will never go near the stuff again!!! It smells so bad that i bet if you threw it in the yard your dog would wallow on it…;) but hey if you are curious go ahead( evil grin) It would have been to freaky if you had turned out to be lisa! fun but relaly freaky!;)

angie which cheese did you try i love the chedda cheese sause form this site and i jsut added a cheese im very happy with, zoes cheese is good too…hmmm im curious now to know what the problemo is!

hey birdie, how is it having a parrot in the house? im getting my first starter parrot in a week or so, ive only had finches which i adore…not sure about the noise level with bigger birds…..any advise?

om – I tried to imitate the cheese fondue from the link you gave me to the pics of fondue night – she didn’t have a recipe, just a vague list of part of the ingredients, but I like experiments, because I allow myself to throw them away if I don’t like them :) I just want one that is not made of cashews.

So I have just released a ton of stress! Besides getting my presentation done for my painting final, I just talked to my ex-husband and told him it is not wise or reasonable to go from not having a conversation in 4 1/2 years to suddenly hanging out (he called to invite me and my son to his niece’s birthday party with their WHOLE family), and that if he wants to call me again in a few months, maybe we could have another CONVERSATION. What a relief!

Oh, yeah – I never made the bacon – With all the stress I’ve had lately, I’ve decided that I need to buy/eat mostly pre-made foods – by other people or God (i.e. om’s snacks, fresh fruit, etc.) – or super-simple/easy food (almond milk made from almond butter, pudding or pie from avocados and chocolate, etc. Another thing I remembered that I did several months ago was to make a dressing I could take to school with me, and then load up on fresh broccoli & cauliflower at the school cafeteria salad bar – saved me time shopping for & cutting up some of my veggies, and they didn’t go bad in my fridge if I didn’t eat them for a day or two. :)

om – actually the durian smoothie I had wasn’t that bad. I didn’t gag or anything. I pulled it open by about an inch out of curiosity, and it actually doesn’t smell as bad as frozen Durian. I had to put it in a bag and tie it up though, as now my kitchen smells mildly of ‘China town’. I actaully don’t mind it, I am thinking of my man! How kind of me! I will be having the ‘thing’ for breakfast tomorrow. Wish me luck!:)

I am sitting here with an ice pack on my shoulder, as I have reinjured a weight training boo boo. I wasn’t even lifting! I was washing my backside and heard a little crickle noise and felt a little minor ouch. Now the stupid thing is killing me. God don’t ya love old age? To top it all off, I got a wicked burn in a really daft shape on my chest and arms today. It doesn’t hurt or anything, I just look really dense, like ‘gee lady, never heard of skin cancer?’ Duh, that’s what you get when you sit out in the sun for a few hours with no sun screen. Dumb dumb dumb!!

anyhow, I feel quite pooped, probably form too much sun, so I am hitting the sack! Night nights, have a wonderfull evening kiddies!!

:)

luna – might be too late for this one, but white distilled vinegar pulls out sunburn like you wouldn’t believe – most effective right after you get burned. I just drench a cotton ball with it and put it all over the burned area. It only smells weird for a little bit until it dries. Is frozen durian not so yummy, then? That’s the only way I have seen it and I’ve never tried it yet. I don’t want to spend $15 on something like that with no voice of experience to guide me…

angie ~I think fresh is always better for anything. i am still drinking my E3 right now, so I haven’t opened my Durian yet! The Durian I got was like a fat football, and it only cost 5 bucks! So I figured if I still don’t like it, then I will dump it. Compost! Well first I will try some on my dog, maybe she will like it! Thanks for the viniger tip. i don’t have any white, would apple cider work?

Wow, i am sitting here eating choco-durian pudding I just made. i am pretty speechless right now! i think it was better just plain right out of the alien thing rather than blended. I actually don’t know what I think. it tastes kinda like a really sweet custard with an…ONION tinge? My dog likes it! I only gave her a small amount, I don’t know if dogs can eat it safely.

Well, it is fascinating to open. It had compartments, and in these compartments there were these little custard coloured ‘pillows’ of fruit. Inside the pillows there is one big pit. The thing looks like it is from another planet. WEIRD!!!

it is supposed to affect you like cocoa. So, I will see what happens. I still have 4 ‘pillows’ of fruit left, so I will eat some more when i get home from work. i will keep you posted on my mental state after eating the stuff! :)

luna – I don’t know about ACV; never tried it – I keep the white stuff around specifically for sunburns. Either way, it’s best right after you’ve been in the sun; later doesn’t have nearly the effect, but still helps slightly if you do it every couple of hours.

I’ve heard that description of durian before – like custard with a slight onion tinge :) heehee I guess you have to try it to figure it out. I would rather buy fresh of anything, too, so I guess I’ll pass for now, especially because of the price! :) Don’t know about durian, but dogs & cats aren’t supposed to have chocolate. It gives them cancer. When I was a kid, I used to feed my cat Hershey’s bars cuz I thought it was funny to see a cat eat chocolate – until she died of feline leukemia; not so funny anymore :( Don’t know if raw chocolate would be different, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, yeah – I wanted to tell you guys about my weird health things (or people’s reactions to them) and a funny dream I had last night! I have known I need to go to a chiropractor for a while, cuz I can feel places where I have been “out” and then I have been super stressed, super high blood sugar, and super dehydrated the last week or so. I have also had some sort of respiratory infection all winter (every winter now for years). The last several days I have been short of breath, which I have chalked up to a combination of stress, dehydration, tight muscles and/or maybe a rib out of place, or maybe my resp. infection is just worse because of all of the above. My mom is usually good about letting me do my weird lifestyle, until I get sick – then she joins my freak-out type sis-in-law and wants to rush me to the doctor. I made an appointment to see a new chiropractor this afternoon, who also does acupuncture. Yesterday, she tells me that if the chiro doesn’t fix my breathing, maybe I should go see a doctor. Then, last night, I tell her about this monster pimple on my back that keeps hanging around/coming back, and I show it to her – it is huge and a little purple around the edges!:) She tells me that is not a normal pimple! and she thinks I have cancer and should definitely go have it looked at! I tell her it’s moles that change color and turn into cancer; not pimples, and that cancer doesn’t hurt; that’s why they tell you to look for signs, because you don’t feel pain, etc. Then I go drain the PIMPLE, not cancerous mole :) and just wonder at my family. :) My sis-in-law did something similar about a year ago. I was sick with something I couldn’t easily explain, and she wanted me to go to the doctor, because so-and-so was sick with something and it turned out he had cancer! (How dare I be such a rebellious non-doctor-goer?!) Anyway, last night I was also telling my mom about this grant I may be able to get for school in the fall and telling her the requirements, and then she asked who the grant was from – I don’t know, probably some branch of government, I suppose…

Anyway, the way this all translated into my dream: I dreamed I was at school and getting information about the grant I was supposed to be qualified for, and I got a letter saying that there was a problem with my getting the grant because I wasn’t eating healthy enough – the year before, I had never bought milk at school, and they couldn’t finance someone who wouldn’t drink milk. Then I looked at the letter and saw that the grant was paid for by the dairy council! When I tried to go to the financial aid office at the school to protest, the whole hall where financial aid used to be was now like a food court, but everything served was dairy-based the pizza place just had a crust covered with piles of cheese, one place just sold string cheese and milk, etc.! I woke up entertained and glad I still have choices! :)

angie ~ poor kitty. I am pretty sure even if choco. is raw, it is still poison to animals. I think it’s the chem. theobromine in the cocao that is the culprit. you didn’t think i gave my dog some of the wierd choco-durian pudding did you? I only gave her just the plain durian!

That dream is too funny. i wouldn’t put it past people to do that. Alot of the charts and nutritional teaching aids are supplied by the dairy council and the meat and egg producers.. That’s why everyone is brought up thinking the only way to grow up big and strong is to drink milk and eat cheese and eggs etc… It is such bullcrap.

i had some more Durian when i got home from work, and it is good with cinnamon and nutmeg on it!

You guys! I just saw a food spot on TV - they have the recipes on the station’s website – and today it was a yummy-looking salad that can easily be adapted to raw (by leaving out half of the ingredients ;) – with a poppyseed dressing that was all raw except the sugar – Hellooooo, agave nectar! Yum :) Also, last night I made a chocolate pudding out of avocados. My son hates avocados, but he asked me if he could help, and then he tried it, and he was amazed that “It really tastes like chocolate!” He told me I am a magical girl – good stuff :)

Oh, yeah, and when I was sick last year, I talked to someone I trusted at the herb store, and it turned out all I needed was omega-3s. I started loading up on supplements of flax oil and the like, and amazingly, I got well! :)

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Guess what everybody, I’m still alive! Haha… Thanks for asking about me, Luna (way, way back now… I’ve missed several days I think).

I just go through ups and downs with the computer. I’m in front of one at work all day, so when I get home I don’t really want to look at the thing, and last weekend I was really busy. We’re gearing up to go to Mexico for a couple weeks at the beginning of May and I’ve been digging out the suitcases & chasing out the spiders, making my son try on all his shorts from last summer (guess what, he grew) and putting lists together of what to bring. Yeah, it’s still a couple weeks away, but I’m getting too excited to wait any more!

You know what I’m really excited about? The mangos and the avocados. They’re huge down there, and gorgeously ripe and fresh and yummy. I think I may just live on mangos and avocados for two weeks. ;o)

I’m going to try to be more active on here… I feel like I’ve been flaking lately. Food-wise, too. Ate a bunch of crap over the weekend and now I feel like I’m starting over all over again. Heh. It’s an ongoing journey, though, right? Onward!

Love to all :o)

Jen

P.S. Luna, I missed your “real” picture, darnit!

jenergy ~ oh you lucky dog you! i want to go somewhere tropical just for the fresh produce!

Have you read my durian adventures? i think I like it best witht he sinnamon and nutmeg!

i will post the pics of me again, no worries. I just put the Goddess hugging the earth because it is earth day! :)

hey, what do you mean putting quotes around the word real. You think it’s not me in the pic. or something? I’m really a 12 year old girl! Har har har! ;)