Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mangers in a Mange land...

1394041424345»

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Hi mangers!! jsut back form the whirlwid tour of Portland Or( my new home i hope) tired beyond but did stop by jimbos on y way home from the airport and had araw curry and a collard wrap!!!!! i lived on green salad and fresh apples and pears that seemed to be everywhere in every yard there…i almost abducted several kittys at the various barns we visited..apperently there one can have beautiful variedties as the cocyotes are not as pre volent! my fav was a dusty calico with long hair she climbed me as i was looking aroud and refused to be left onthe ground while i toured the facility…im a sucker for calicos!!! then there was this himilayan looking ne whose hair was sooooo thick and soft…omg, i could see some hoarding of kittys there!!! teehee

ive desided that any where where one can eat lunch by waltzing the property and eating pears apple walnuts and hazelnuts and berries is where i need to live!!! shit…Ca pales in comparison!!!! you knwo what i get around my property? a lemon and some fennelNow there is a meal!! teehee) i found wild onions, parsley and patience dock not to mention accorns, thistle and other edibles…my realtor wanted us to go to wendys( what the?;0) i politley got a water and grazed at the propertys we went to, i ate around one worm a nd a bunch of bee bites ….my hubby was green with the thought and the realtor was possitively astounded….but you know what i was raw and loving it!!! and it was freeeeeeeee! love to you all, im so tired i could sleep right here….now all i gotta do is selll this dump!!!!! any takers?

angie, backpacking sounds great is this the real kind with the hguge packs? do tell!

The Berry, strawberryland sounds wonderful! I often dreamed about a family homestead. But seeing as how my folks and I are it as far as immediate family and they are in Fla never to be removed from there and im on the west coast unlikely i will be removed from here well…..you see the lack of possibilities! i may resemble your late husband and never find “the” spot but im gonna try like heck and see if its possible to be contented if not blissfully happy. as for your grave robbing idea…hilarious ;0), yes cremation and envelopes stamped to exotic places for me please! hopefully who ever is in charge of my remains will runout of stamps before running out of my ashes to send around the world!!! your son is lucky to have you and your thoughtful relocation of him to a place where he can be safetly himself. poor dear.Im glad you have relations thrice removed to help you upkeep the place. theres something to be said for freshly mowed grass!

house goes on the market wed…hubby and i sweating bullets as the appraisal came back low and we are moving with much less than we thought. id have to live in the city with out my animals for a few years if we stick to our plan of moving to be debt free…. its a compromise im not sure i can make but there is no black and white is there…obviously id have at least one of my horses and the dogs and the birds but the barn kitty and the chickens couldnt go in that case….its all speculation we have yet to run hard numbers…now my dilema is to price it to sell quickly or hold out for 10 thousand or so more bucks….every penny helps. worse case the place doesnt sell and im stuck here in San diego runing the rat race with everyone else for the foreseeable future. in reality my life isnt all that bad its just not what i really want. my parents are of the mind that not everyone gets what they want all the time, but my thought is if we dont take control or our own happiness we only have ourselves to blame leading unfulfilling lives….. right? or am i just being as i suspect some are thinking: “spoiled and unrealitic?” well its gettig to be light out so im off to feed my horses and scheme for my future….tallyho sproutlings!

angie take care of yourself!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

st – How I love you! I laughed my head off at the comment about digging up your hubby to move him! :D I have to agree with om – strawberry land DOES sound wonderful, and I’m glad you and your son have people to help you. I set a goal a few years ago, to be ready to do a cross-country (or at least 300 miles) backpacking trip by the time I turn 40. It was after I read Victoria Boutenko’s book “Raw Family” – they hiked the Pacific Crest Trail as a family: 2,600 miles, from San Diego up to Canada! It called to me somehow. Actually, now that I think about it, I wanted to get into backpacking before that, but that really made me decide to do something about it. I haven’t been able yet, to find a person who will take me backpacking (my being inexperienced & not in great shape for hiking). So, when I needed an extra class & couldn’t take upper-level Digital Media classes yet, I decided to go for it. It’s a lot to pay for someone to take me hiking, but I’ll be safe & well-prepared. :) It’s really about getting out into nature & away from the craziness of civilization. I once in a while have daydreams of going hiking and deciding to never come home; just keep going. :)

om – My dad worked at a job he hated for 25+ years, because he thought he couldn’t do anything else & just had to put up with it. Just because you’re spoiled doesn’t mean you can’t do what you want to in order to stay spoiled. ;) heeheehee

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

angie~ A few places you can check out find backpacking groups are:

• Sierra Club for your area
    • Local backpacking stores sometimes have “clubs” or classes
    • Local colleges sometimes have backpacking “clubs” also

I yearn for a good backpacking trip to get away from all things modern except a good sleeping bag and tent. The beauty. The quietness. The simplicity. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

200 acres? jeez strawberry, that’s amazing. I just want 2 acres, and I have no idea how to afford it. It might take me years and years to save up enough cash.

Angie how funny, my dad has been making little noises about the trail on the east coast….darn…whats it called?..... to much wine(hic)...whats it called the one from top to bottom?? arrrghhh….. any how he wasnts us to hike that one before he is 70 sigh guess i better get me a pair of boots!!! great goal though, send pics!!! will you take superman? and will you stay raw? hmmmmm? ( waggleing eyebrows) Winona, there is no shame in marrying rich….just sayin’....grin

Blue, i never thought you to be a back packer! cool! wanna brave another christmas party this year if i end up having one, you know to come casual this time right? grin…

Berry big hug and kiss…hope the sun is shining in strawberry land and some one has brought you over a mess of greens! later maters, gotta wash and show shine a pony,she is loosing her coat tomarrow to my friends clipper blades so any bad weather we have here in Socal after 10:30 am will be due to me having my horse clean and washed and clipped…...its like washing your car….sure to get ugly and rainy the second you do….;0)

ps anyone gonna go see secret life of bees? i loved the book, maybe a saturday afternoon activity…..

Of course I’ll stay raw! I have no idea the name of the East Coast trail. I need to get some boots, too, and I need some synthetic clothing – everything I wear is cotton! I went to the thrift store today, and I found a pair of long athletic shorts, and a pair of nylon running pants, each only $5! Yesterday I found a fleece vest at Recreation Outlet for $12 – and then they gave me another 15% off that. :) Recreation Outlet is having a sale this weekend, so I’m going to see what kind of a deal I can get on boots – although I glanced yesterday, and they didn’t have a great selection…

I got sick from worry & stress & fear – totally exhausted & even a bit nauseated! I remembered tonight that maca is supposed to strengthen the adrenals & the whole endocrine system, so I dutifully ;)heehee made a raw chocolate banana maca coconut pie soup! (I didn’t want to wait for it to freeze. :P) I love being raw! :)

The thread ”...raw…cancer cure or not?” is a link to the story of a lady who lives in my area. I learned from her at a raw food workshop – she introduced me to raw chocolate when it was new on the market – thank you, Shelley!!!! She is amazing, like I guess we all are. :)

I got “trail shoes” at the running store today, and I’ve bought all kinds of synthetic clothing the last couple of days – I got some pretty good deals, too. Woohoo! Hopefully I’ll have enough money left to buy thermals & rent the stuff I’m not buying (sleeping bag, trekking poles, etc.)

How is everyone?

THE APPALATIAN TRIAL!!!!! yes thats it, big duh! on my part!! yep camping on hard ground for weeks on end sounds like the worst of it..id love the walk though. as per sores on my rumpus from riding, nah, i do get rubs in other delicate places…lets jsut say we called one of our dressage instructors “labia lita” nuff said! teehee

As per moving around as a kid…..its a subject that has facinated me for decades, really! im not cracking wise here…there was a little group that was established by the dept of state for kids having trouble adjusting to stateside life and i gotta say there where more traumatized kids than kids like me who looked forward to the adventure. my own hubby who had a very unstable childhood, moving every few months , even living in a camp ground for over half a year( but all here in the good old USA)...Finds moving a very unsettleing thing. I wouldnt trade my growing up for the world and would love to offer my kids had i any, the same opportunity. Living in different cultures, and seeing different countrys, learning different languages gives one an outlook and empathy not easily aquired growing up in one place. To be fair, my dear sweet southern cousins are very active civicly in the home town where they grew up and make a difference there, more of a difference than ive ever made in my home towns, i believe. but that said, i feel a conection with all people from all countrys that they do not.

Ive been struggling with this move again with friends ive made here, as with maryland, there are few supporting my departure….and while i try to steer the conversation away from the topics involved in my moving out of state, i get an earful daily from the vocal”friends” Its quite disturbing really, even though i know they are jsut not wanting me to go, that simple reason is clouded by some pretty harsh retoric. when i left maryland i never dreamed id not be in contact with my closest friends of 11 years, but you know what…im not and its hurtful in many ways…i still do the christmas card but my emails and phone calls go unanswered. yet my “true” freinds i speak to almost daily and some of them are thirty years of friendship strong…sooooo i focus on them and hope that some of the people i met here will remain in my life when i move on. If not , oh well, there are tons of new people to meet…grin my husband thinks of it as tons of new people to repel or size up then repel! hhahahaha yes, the poor man is a- social so why he ever married an extrovert like me i dont know! hahahahaha he regularly stares in amazement at the number of people that engage me in conversation on a simple outing to the store. today he jsut rolled his eyes when i told him i spent forty minutes trying to track down a homeless gal who had rags tied around her feet, no shoes!...i saw this old gal going into the mcpukesy…it made me angry that she had no shoes that she was clearly struggleing, maybe even mentally ill, and i thought “oh hell no , she will have a pair of shoes at least…shit its america isnt it?” so i high tailed across the parking lot to wally world and bought her some shoes in three sizes as i couldnt tell,but when i went by the mcpukes she was gone and i asked around to see if any one saw her direction, then i drove around trying to locate her…i think she sleeps in the rver bottom with the other homeless so tomarrow ill drive by the bringes where they emerge and see if i run across her…sigh..i saw abject poverty in many countrys but it offends me deeply when i see it here in the usa. my own parents grew up very poor….why its so shocking here i dont know i guess cause there is so much here and its unexpected in many ways…but in countrys where there is so little, its not a suprise…that must be it. any way im rambling on and on… nuff already with my meanderings! xoxo

angie your about to begin your big adventure, look up your local REI store. they have a huge warehouse sale once or twice a year( you may have to drive a distance) but i picked up a pair of 250 dollar hikers for 15 bucks, and there are deals like that on everything! i reccomend a good wool sweater too, wool even when wet will keep you warm unlike polar fleece or anything quilted oh and splurge on smart wool socks the best socks ever! i buy two pair ever few years and wear them until they are rags… ive been looking for a magic bullet type thingy that is battery powered as i could live on smoothies and soups out of seeds and dried veggies for an indefinite period as well as foraging, but i coulndt live on granola bars(raw or otherwise)nuts and dried fruits for any length of time!!! what are your plans for raw hiking? set up a day at the end for that limo ride( a la strawberry) to a hot tub , maybe a massage too! hahahahhahahah

winona, berry is right i could have my yurt, my horses and all kinds of good stuff for very littel if i was willing to move south and east into the sticks, however how i would make a living once the living ran out i dont know and who would i talk to? i found this out going to the WKU in bowling green Ky, i had little in common with anyone…and while i was adaptable, i was the talk of campus, and kind of a mascot at my dorm where one gal actually said” you kin tawk proper too caint ya?” ah well i think its possible to have it all eventually! teehee oops my golden spoon is showing isnt it? grin night girlys im off to bed… sweet slumbers

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Well this used to be our general whatever chit chat thread. Let's get it going again! Calling StRAWbetty, Omshanti, ardersmond, jen, angie, and all those who used to blab on this crazy thread!

Good God I went cooked for a while and felt like complete POOP. Hmmmm maybe I should go back to raw. Duh no kidding. So I'm back! I am going to need some moral support I'm sure, so if you all are still around, talk to me!!

Anyhoo, been busy as HELL! Sorry I abandoned you all. :( Too much to do in a day and not enough day to to it in!

So...you would think I have news after all this time...not really. God I'm boring.

Anyways...it's day two back on raw, close to high raw as well! Already I feel better. I need to go and russle up some thai coconuts and maybe a durian. LOL. I'm mental...I love Durian.

Well I hope you are all still around and well!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

:( I guess nobodies around anymore from the "old days". Oh well!

• HerbertAzureHerbertAzure Raw Newbie

Raising the indoor temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won’t do the job. Special equipment and very high temperatures are necessary for successful heat treatment. Black plastic bags in the sun might work to kill bed bugs in luggage or small items, if the contents become hot enough. Bed bugs die when their body temperatures reaches 45°C (113°F). To kill bed bugs with heat, the room or container must be even hotter to ensure sustained heat reaches the bugs no matter where they are hiding.