Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mangers in a Mange land...

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Good morning!

Birdie – Sorry about your bunnies! We got a bunny recently, and I have to put her cage in our old chicken shed (made of cinderblocks) every night so the raccoons won’t get her. I keep her in the cage on top of a stand, so that the snakes won’t get her in the shed. Sometimes I wonder if all the trouble is worth having a bunny, but I got her from someone else who couldn’t give her the attention she needed, and she is wonderful! Besides, they were feeding her all this packaged food and fake carrot treats, and she’s a RABBIT! I am transitioning her to raw – duh! – as I figure out what she likes. :)

I had a wonderful time in Seattle – we met Aimee & her husband, Chris, and their two lovely doggies. :) I traded some of my jewelry for some of her pottery, she went to the aquarium with us (me, my mom, & Superman), we shopped at the health food store near her house, and she let me use her blender to make a cacao blueberry cobbler (variation of her cherry cacao cobbler because I had blueberries) – with which I impressed a couple of relatives at my cousin’s bridal shower later that day. :) We got to see family, play at the beach (Useless Bay on Whidbey Island), & have fun. My big road trip raw slip-up was eating a few PASTEURIZED ALMONDS! Yay! I felt better than I ever have on a road trip! Coming home we stayed at a motel to break up the 17 hours of driving. Much more relaxing! We even ran into a good friend of mine at a gas station in Idaho – I haven’t talked to him in a year and a half and haven’t seen him in about three, but we have been friends for about 14 years. I wasn’t even sure where they were living now; just that it might be somewhere in Idaho. I was reminded of him when we drove past the city he was from in Washington, & I was feeling sad that I didn’t know how to get a hold of them. Then he pulls up beside us at a random gas stop in Idaho! :) Happy day!

Oh, my goodness! I just went to check out Winona’s thread, and I can’t believe how crazy people are.

st – Sorry you’re not feeling good. I don’t know if you already know that ginger is good for getting rid of inflammation? It stinks when you don’t feel well enough to do what will help you feel better. Green powders sound like a good idea – I wish I could come over & make juices for you! (((((((((((((LOVE)))))))))))))

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

sorry i’ve been out in lala land a bit. blogging, berry picking, eating. :-)

i had so much fun hanging out with angie! she’s amazing and of course superman is the coolest. what a creative kid and mom. wow angie you did so well on your trip staying raw. now i guess i am not so worried about my trip after all.

birdie i am so sorry about your bunnies. cats can be pretty vicious. what an awful way to go. :-( I have a breville juicer too but my screen broke. then i put the top part in the dishwasher and it warped. so it barely works now. but i scored a ice cream maker for free on freecycle! we’ve been making raw ice creams. yum.

bitt – You’ll do great, I’m sure! I feel like if I can do raw on a road trip, then I should be fine during the school year. Last fall I let the stress get to me & I ate a lot of “healthy” cooked foods for a few weeks & felt horrible & gained weight & had my blood sugar go wacko – which didn’t go away easily (remember I was in the hospital), etc. I also prioritized more of my budget this year for food, because part of the stress before was feeling I couldn’t afford raw. But the healthy cooked food was just about as expensive, and I felt awful! I am taking out enough loans to get me successfully raw through school!

The garden is helping a ton money-wise, and I LOVE the taste & feeling of eating fresh stuff right out of the garden. It’s kind of fun planning my meals based on what is ready in the garden from day to day. :) I’m already planning next year’s garden since I got back & saw how amazing our garden is – it’s totally worth all the work we have put into it. I’m planning next year’s so I can do the crop rotations right to feed the soil & improve the ground besides getting amazing produce. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

feel better strawberry! does the brace help? battling roaches huh? you must live in the south. those dang things take over!

om – i love looking at other people’s animals! i think 4H is super cute. little kids training their dogs, i guess they train other farm animals too?

angie – agreed, my thread got outta control. it’s funny that folks stepped up to prove my point about how some religious folks treat me like i’m immoral and have no beliefs, just cause i’m athe-nostic. :) what’s funny is that i’ve seen folks get even MORE worked up over food. So, to be polite omshanti, you have to keep religion, politics, and FOOD out of your conversations. from the thread, i’ve remembered why i’m never moving out of upstate New York, with our lovely liberal hippies. I couldn’t stand living in some of the places described (Italy – living in sin with a boyfriend? if that’s sinning, where does cohabiting+beer pong+backbiting+heavy drinking+dirty jokes fall on the spectrum?) Beware of pickpockets and loose women!

i’ve got enough drama in my life, with all the moving i’m doing. right now i’m trying to convince my landlord to let me in today at noon, but he’s not answering (that’s when my lease STARTS, so i should be allowed into my new apt right?) because everything i own is sitting in a rental truck right now, for a day already.

berry picking? nice! what kind of berries are still in season bitt? don’t put your ice cream maker in the dishwasher! maybe for your juicer, you can order a replacement?

birdie – sorry to hear about your cat, sweetie! i sympathize, i’m super attached to my pets too. aww. you provided them with a wonderful life while they were with us. i really hope things start looking up, take care of yourself.

• When I was a kid, I was in doggie 4-H. My poor dog! We were supposed to be doing obedience training. My dog just wouldn’t learn a dang thing! At the end of the summer, we had a competition. They didn’t have exactly the right ribbons to go around, so my dog, Rascal, won 5th place… out of 4 dogs!!! ha ha ha ha ha! Ahhhhhh, memories… I miss that doggie.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Hi guys! Angie, ive been planning my fall garden, im going to try growing lettuces and kale…i got some kale at the farmers market last week that knocked my socks off! it was sweet like lettuce! WOW!!! i really want to grow alot of my food next year, ive been eating out of my friends garden all summer and the stuff is so amazing! ill post pics if they finally get the site working again! im all about trying to homestead on my little acerage here now that we are staying for a while..hubby is not to immpressed, I ordered a clothes line, round hanger thingy to dry our clothes outside, (which im sooo excited about as its really heavy duty and can hold horse blankies…..no more slinging soggy blankets over a corral panel to be molested by a horse and muddied! teehee) anyhow you should of seem mr concretes face( thats my hubby , mr concrete aka grew up in a city) “my clothes outside with the bird poop and bugs?” hahahahahah oh man what this guy missed out on not having a tennessee granny!

In my quest to make dough, the green kind you buy sh*t with, Ive decided to expand granolas specialty foods to include cooked gluten free vegan baked goods….ive been experimenting with brown rice flour and wow! the taste difference is amazing, zuccini bread is transformed! my veggie jerky (raw and vegan)is also a new item that will be added to granolas website and some new pics coming soon.

Winona, yep food to be addded to my dont ask dont tell list! dang, what will i talk about? tee hee thats one crazy thread! that one teenager( mr Jesus) almost prompted me put in my two cents worth but i figured hes so misguidedly idealistic that even pointing that out would bring down the brimstone so to speak….soooooo, i refrained, but my tongue has holes in it from clamping down so hard!!!! teehee Yes stay in upstate with the hipppies its nicer to be around like minded people, until i moved west i always felt out of place in conservative maryland and before that VA….. the pressure to conform was really heavy. i dressed like them, ate like them and wore my hair like them…but my mind and my sence of humor never fit there….i was everyones crazy friend, with the crazy ideas. imagine that( bats eyes innocently)

Birdie, thanks for the email and the website info, ill be getting my stuff together for that soon! have you found a bunnie replacement yet? i was over seas for my formative 4H years so i didnt get to play animal then! but back east i did enter my cooking and my goatie in the fair as an adult! man it was fun…my pumkin cream cheese muffins got 4th place then my goatie came in 7th in his breed class but 1st in the talent!!( i taught him to drive…we had a “goat- cart” zoom zoom! this other gal taught hers to lay down on cue, everyon e else resorted to dressing them up….ah good times!

the berry, are you feeling better? im reading sweeping historical fiction again this summer, need the escapeism i guess…...huggs!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Limp’nberry~ How’s the footsy doing? If you are open to it, email me, I’ll share some options for you to accelerate your recovery. For a change of pace for entertainment, if you are into audio stuff, check out the podcasts on iTunes. I’ve been getting into some of NPR’s programs like “Wait. Wait. Don’t tell me…” and “Whad’Ya know?.” I’m also finding iTunes “Meet The Author” series interesting. There is tons there and all FREE! On this side, I caught some of that insomnia going around on the site and pretty much packed up my office last night/this morning. :Z Lotsa healing energy to you.

PS. Waterbaby has the footsy issue… oops.

wow that thread went apes**t. i’m SO done with it. there’s enough real world crazy that i shouldn’t bother with the online nutters.

i need to read – i’m in severe tv withdrawal, strawberry. i did a crazy thing and sold my tv/dvd, and have no internet at home, PHEW this is a very different lifestyle. hopefully i change in positive ways. but it’s hard right now.

om – kale is good! Try this lovely salad that I invented: http://raspberry.lemonsnowcone.com/?p=210

Ouwee-berry~ Oops… I’m mixing up the folks on the injury list (brain fart).:( However, the offer still stands. :) Lately, as one can tell, I’m into podcasts. There is tons of all sorts of free podcasts available from college courses to comedy shows, something for all tastes. I didn’t realize all the awesome stuff… kinda like a candy store for the ears, heart, and mind. :)

evening onions! wow im on low eb lately…might be the return of the heat hereor could be hormones! I know my diet is topsy turvy so that could be it too..ive been all about the fruit lately, but foceing salads down…the green smoothie has disapeared from my menu too…akkk! ah well i guess it will even itself out eventually…meanwhile ill have a few zits and feel a bit tired. grin!

Berry, my bird, is great, i clipped his little wings( and felt horribly guilty!) so i can tame him easier. I dont want to get him a little buddy as the noise level with two keets can be deafaning, hubby is not thrilled with “the sars bird of death” as it is… ive been calling him taco tweety…cant give up that original name but hes yellow like tweety bird! teeheer

need advice on a good gift for my friend who has been so generous with her garden all summer, i mean every monday bags of free produce! ive made her veggie jerky ad some zuccini bread but wanted to giv her something nice for all her effort and hard work, here are my top two ideas: big old basket full of organic seeds for next year or big old gift certificate from one fo their favorite resteraunts. my hesitatio with the seed is that i think she starts with plants, my hesitation withthe gift certificate to a resteraunt is then she will know how much i spent….which i find personally tacky. so help me friends, ideas?

Blue, has waterbaby contacted you? im worried about her! like lunas dissapearance i would hate to loose another of my favorite voices on this site….

birdie you never cease to amaze me! sent you site to my Ma, she is breathless at your writing…you rock!

Well the ‘yotes are screeching ..gonna go bribe chickens into the coop now, by the way i ordered 20 new chickies to arrive end of august by my birthday, ive always wanted mille fluers and found a hatchery in iowa that had some! of course i had to throw in a few arucanas for pretty blue eggs and one or two cochins for more foragers once my garden gets going! im hoping for some nice hens and a good old fashioned rooster…im gonna keep him in the kitchen with my spaniels till he is good and tame though( wait till hubby finds out that little plan! hahahahahaha nighty night…..(((((((()))))))

• I see that ya’ll haven’t heard from waterbaby either! Well, if she sees this, I just want to say that you are really missed, waterbaby! You’ve been an inspiration to me even before I signed on to chat.

You Mangers have quite a little group, here. Cool! Raw freinds are the best! (They don’t stink!) Ha Ha!

omshanti~ Unfortunately, I haven’t heard from waterbaby… yet… I thought I saw her online the other day… I think she even posted. But it has been a few days.

As a gift for your friend, check with some gardening buffs (some my chime in here) what their favorite tools are and make a gift of those. Was there anything she mentioned to you that she wanted? How about something from Angie? Another option, take some pictures of her garden and/or produce in an artistic way and create a collage or some sort of something suitable for framing or a book. Another option, is an adventure for her. If she isn’t a rider, maybe a ride or something like that. I like to look for things the person won’t do for themselves… there are so many… :(

Have fun with the additional beaks. :0)

• Sorry I haven’t been checking in – our family dog, sissy, has been having seizures since last night. She’s at the vet, under sedation, while some tests are run. She’s been one of the family for 11 years. My boys don’t remember a time without her.

I’ll check in once my brain is back online.

xoxoxo to everyone

littlebirdie~ Sorry to hear about your dog. Sending you healing energy and strength.

oh birdie, your poor pup…..hope it all turns out!

Poor birdie, too! I feel for ya!

I have been super busy with raw food prep the last couple of days – Superman watched Bunny Berry’s video on Rafu Sunday afternoon and announced that he wants to do 100 days of only raw food. He waffled a bit when we reminded him that we will be attending birthday parties & barbecues/family dinners in that time, but he eventually decided he is going to do it. He started Sunday night after he ate “all the things I’m going to miss” and by last night when I told him congratulations for a whole day of raw, he hadn’t even realized that he had eaten only raw for the whole day. He told me Sunday to hide or get rid of all our cooked food (my non-raw ingredients like Nama Shoyu, too) while he wasn’t around, which I did Monday morning. I told him that I was going to do only the “really raw” foods for this challenge. Yesterday I made him a pizza, and I used sun-dried tomatoes (may or may not be raw) in non-raw oil to make the sauce. I decided I would make an exception and eat it with him, to help support him in eating raw. Later he found the sun-dried tomatoes in the fridge & got after me for not getting rid of them yet. I told him I had used them in the pizza sauce because I didn’t know how to make a good sauce without them, and he was so unhappy with me that he wouldn’t sit next to me during dinner. I threw them away & apologized, and I agreed with him that even if one non-raw thing was still pretty healthy, it is important for me to do what I said I will do. I am AMAZED at his desire & determination to do this. It makes me happy to have someone to eat raw with me!

aww birdie, hope things start looking up!!

i’ve been working mostly. and trying to decontaminate my house. i’m removing the stupid vinyl shower curtain, and returning the fluorescent bulbs to walmart (if you break just ONE you need a professional decontamination crew for thousands of dollars -holy cow!)

good idea to eat with superman to support him. it’s funny that he got on your case about the sun dried tomatoes. hehehe. wow!

well i’m off to host kayaking for my club. hopefully it’s nice and sunny!

Have fun kayaking – and thanks for the info. about fluorescent lightbulbs – yikes!

So, Superman said he wants to eat only raw for 106 days. I got our cooked food out of the kitchen when he wasn’t around, like he requsted. He did great and went one whole day without realizing he was only eating raw. Last night he invented some yummy breadsticks. He is screaming for junk food, though, and he’s going to a cousin’s birthday party on Saurday, and another birthday dinner (for my bro.) on Sunday, although that one will be the whole family. He is saying he wants to eat raw except when he goes somewhere there will be junk food! I’m going back & forth between just letting him eat whatever he wants when he’s not home – hoping he’ll figure it out by not feeling good when he eats junk, or telling him he committed to 106 days and absolutely not, no way can he eat junk food…There is a circus coming next month, and I was thinking of suggesting he can go if he makes it raw until then, but then that leaves it more open for him to choose if he’s going to eat raw – I guess I’m leaning toward the absolutely not, no way, etc. approach ;) heehee Plus, if I let him choose, and he doesn’t do it – I would be sad not to take him to the circus, and that’s 50 days away – not totally likely he’ll make it on his own choice, and I don’t want him to start lying about what he ate at his friend’s house so he can still go to the circus. Okay, just needed to let off a little frustration. Love you guys!

Angie~ That is a challenging situation. I was just thinking maybe SMan could “earn” junk credits but that just seems so not in the spirit of good health. So I think the focus of the treats should be good healthy stuff, positive reinforcement. That is where the shift will occur. What about making weekly commitments that “pay” down the 106 days commitment? If you make some sort of visual display that is appropriate for him, he can then see his accomplishment visually. A bit of work and creativity for you, but make those commitment times fun, exciting, a learning experience as the reinforcement. Rewarding him for eating well just seems like giving the wrong message about food. Interesting, he is coming up against the same challenges as many of the adults are discussing. How interesting… :O)

ooo tough call! yeah i agree about the circus thing – you wouldn’t want him to lie about eating junk food, just to attend the circus. Instead, you can use the circus as a reward for his hard work at eating raw (regardless of how much raw he eats, it’s the effort that’s important). About the junk food – that’s tricky!

Kayaking was very relaxing. I went for a bike ride out to the lake and stood around in the water. so nice! lots of boats were out doing their thing.

My avatar is my two sweet guinea pigs. : ) my boyfriend is babysitting them, i can’t wait to get them back at my place. piiiiggggs! i’m going to take them to the cemetery up the hill to nosh on some green grass. it’s actually a nice calm place to hang out, oddly enough.

I’ve started reading again! It’s a MUCH more engaging thing than watching TV. Wow. Hours can go by, and at the end of the book i’m totally relaxed. tv was always much different. with tv, i never got enough sleep lol.

My landlord mentioned that i could use some land for a garden next year!! There’s more motivation to stay in my current apartment.

Omshanti did you decide on a gift for you friend?

Birde how’s your dog?

Winona~ Before noshing on cemetery grass, you might check if they treat it with anything that might be harmful.

Angie~ A visual of Sman’s commitment might be to build something. So each completed commitment earns him another piece, part, section, color, ???. Then at the end he can decide to keep whatever he built or give it away to a child in need… Just an idea…

Thanks, guys! I just had a talk with my mom, too, and I of course have been doing a lot of pondering on this, and I think I’ve decided that this was his choice, and it needs to continue to be. I am going to encourage him, help him be aware of upcoming temptations/situations, and provide plenty of raw food that he likes to eat. We’ve got all our cooked food out of the house, and my mom is helping by trying to not leave their things out where he will see them. We have also been eating at different times than my parents so that he won’t be drooling over their stuff. He has to live life, and there will always be situations like these, and if I try to force him, he’s likely to swing the other way and go crazy on junk food the minute he’s out of my sight. I want to teach him to do what’s best for him. He’s AMAZING to even try this at age 6! The other day I snuck a little lettuce into his fruit ice cream, and I told him about it after he’d eaten several bowls of it – he was surprised, and I think it made him happy to know that I’m trying to help him get what he needs and make it taste good instead of forcing him to eat salads that he really doesn’t like. Last night, when I was making the “ice cream” again, he got the lettuce out and put it in himself, and he was happy with my putting a little carrot in, too. We are definitely making some great progress!

Winona – Your life sounds more peaceful & amazing every day! I’m glad you’ll get to plant a garden – you will be a pro by the time you get to start your permaculture place! Superman LOVED the picture of your piggies! :)

hehe lettuce in ice cream, that’s hilarious!

bluedolfin – good point! i definitely need to check if it’s chemically treated lawn. I really want to grow trays of clover and timothy grass for them (and me!). I have everything I need – now I just have to make the time to do it. It’s great practice for when i want to sprout sunflower seeds.

I like the idea of building something!

Angie – it’s great to let him choose. I think that it’s a positive thing when someone can say ‘i made this choice not to eat the food’ and even if he can’t do it now, it’s important it’s his decision when he’s ready. some adults can’t even make this decision! How many people on goneraw say they slipped up and ate some cake, or ribs, at a party because the temptation was too great.

Bluedolfin – what are you up to lately?

Winona~ Did you want to know about something specific?

angie~ I love hearing about SMan. He is one cool kid. You done good Mamma!

Winona – You’re right about people giving in to temptation – and definitely about choosing – it’s the only way people can be really successful, I think – by choosing.

Bluedolphin – Thanks!

Yeah angie, i think it gives a good feeling of pride to have the gumption to make tough choices. i think Sman will get there – he’s so far along in making healthy choices, it’s amazing!

What are ya up to bluedolfin? Doing anything summery? gardening/hiking/sunning? Making yummy foods? I’m always open to recipe suggestions.

Aww thanks angie! Yeah things are moving in an amazing direction right now. Just by being in nature, i’ve had the most incredible experiences that I can’t begin to put into words. I think my favorite thing about biking and kayaking is that they bring me into this moment, instead of time traveling thinking about other moments. I’ve seen incredible fingernail sized frogs, beautiful beavers, soaring hawks, enormous cranes. I’ve had to push myself too – hiking four hours in the heat, overcoming fear of deep water, biking 23 miles and really pushing myself to bike up these rolling hills. Somehow i’m overcoming the old lazy me, and it’s super.

This apartment feels like a move in the right direction. Every day I have a peaceful walk home through woods, and there’s a tiny waterfall across the street from my house that I can enjoy when sitting on the apartment’s front porch. I have some plans to create things – i’ll be painting my apartment walls very soon. And my knitting basket is finally done, packed with assorted colors and needles, ready for my first project. It’s great to do a craft. How’s your craft coming, by the way? Any progress on the jewelery website?

• I had to put my doggie down. Sad week for all of us. My boys don’t remember a time without her. So yeah, it’s been a funky week.

Angie, I am making a list of exactly what we need to get the site going, so stay tuned!