Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mangers in a Mange land...

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Ooh, basil – yum! I got my homework done for the weekend, but today I have felt miserable, and I’ve been busy picking, washing & cutting up veggies, and yacking on here. ;) I haven’t done a lick of homework, & I have lots more reading to get done by tomorrow. :( Three quarts of veggie juice in me, though, and more cayenne cauliflower “popcorn” in the dehydrator after eating most of one batch…I’m tired! I have to go run a couple of errands while Superman is playing at a friend’s house. Raw food class at church tomorrow night, so I’m trying to get a couple of the food things made tonight. I haven’t started on a handout…We’ll see how it goes. Have a great day, everyone!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hello girlies! guess i can say that now that all men have fled in terror off this page! teehe ive been moonlighting o the politico threads hoping ot glean some info that will help me make a decisio for obama or green third party. im tired ladies of all this and so scared for our country. will we last the few more mnths it will take to get a new leader? sigh…..

in other news have you checked out peommoms new recipes? wowo im trying the gnocci today, i got the macadamias yesterday at the store! i also plan on locating teff flour…its funny as there is ahay here that has become popular for horses needg alow starch diet( can you believe that even horses have food related illnesses thanks to people!!) anyhow its teff hay ..wonder if the seed heads are still onit for meto soak and dry! hmmmm, im doing some research!

is the format ontheis site still AFU? man what gives? do you think one of those trolls was a hacker? hmmmmm well hope all you all are doing well im reading Oprahs book pick( jsut for the record i picked it up before she recommended it! grin) “edward sawtelle” sadly it was one of those books that begged me to read the last chapter( a bad habit i piked up in college when i didnt have hte time to read bad books) and i did and now i dont really want to read the rest …to me a questionable book whose last chapter i read is only moved to good book list when i read the last chapter and then still finisht he book!!!!

what up with you all?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I read books 700 pages long—these intricate fantasy series with 6 or 7 books, each 700 to 900 pages. Om I definitely skip ahead! I don’t read the last chapter, I tend to skip boring chapters on occasion. Not often though – don’t want to miss too much.

Poemmom has amazing recipes! Glad you’re trying the gnocchi, i’m not brave enough to try it. i’m very bad at getting recipes to turn out well sigh more than 3 main ingredients and it’s VERY iffy territory. I’m living off 10 recipes for 6 months, with an occasional new recipe. I REALLY have to branch out. Problem is, the only recipes that turn out okay are from recipe books usual.

format is still messy, think it’s from the changes K and R made.

i’m always impressed to hear that raw men are around! someone i’ve fled to the womencentric world – secretary, animal care, raw food. women dominate these areas like crazy. I secretly love it, because I really need to be around strong women for once – good role models.

i’ve decided to apply for a new job in my same department. wish me luck! i’m well qualified, and i know everyone who is hiring – so it comes down to how good an impression i’ve made, lol.

Website changes, scary political scene – yes, I hear you on these! I used to have hope for this country, that somehow things would get better with the next election, or something. We’ve become so selfish and corrupt as a society, that I am afraid things will just continue to get worse unless there is a HUGE change in people’s thinking/morals/motivations RIGHT NOW. I can always hope for the best, but I’m definitely trying to prepare for the worst just in case.

Berry i did this for my folks one year for christmas, it had alot of old stuff my dad was listening to as i grew up like” bto, the back doors, the band, elton john, elvis christmas album, and then some windham hill …they really liked it.

i for one am sorry for this thread crawling along, but honesly i can hardly stand to use the site anymore, it so hard to read a nd deal with! i apperently have the wrong version of what ever to make it run well! ive been on one thread or two a day and it takes so much freaking time im irritated, i cant post my new recipes nor any pictures so ive gotten bored with the whole thing….grump… im sure it will be fixed soon but its been weeks already…..

Hubby and i are going to try to make a life change in the next few months(AZ didnt work out for a reason so its the next thing i guess), we are going to check out our new idea in october! i want to live where the political climate is more agreeable to stuff near and dear to me and the natural resources are more abundant….so if i can unload this farm on someone and high tail it north i will! its gonna take a small miracle in these economic times but i think we can pull it off if its meant to be!

on a lighter note, i got my clothes line put up inally and hubby has already forbade me from putting any of this things out there, due to ther fact that as he labouredt o get th thing inthe ground he got into a red ants nest and got bitten alll to heck! he calls my clothesline the ant pole….sigh any way i was reveling inthe sun listening tothe birds hanging atons of damp clean laundry out yesterday, i hung it jsaut like granny showed me with my unmentionalbles on the inside and the sheets and blankets around the outside so all the clothes are hidden….he one thing thta didtn happen to her stuff though was that stiff feeling my stuff had…. do you think i should tumble them a bit first or simply not leav themout as long? seems gran left heres out all day, but she also used softener now that i think of it, i use appple cider vinegar in the rince as i read that acts like a softener…hmmmm ideas any of you?

Hi, guys!

om – Don’t know about how to unstiffen line-dried stuff without softener, which I don’t use. I settled for buying dryer balls – they reduce the drying time & help fluff & de-static without using dryer sheets. At least it’s 15 minutes less per load & no harmful chemicals. When you say north/different political climate, do you mean Canada, then?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

om – i didn’t realize this site works poorly for you!! it works better than ever for me. wow, life change? neat!! going north to where? canada is my guess too. the economic crisis has me stunned. you’re right angie, the greed is OUT of control!

my clothes get stiff outside too – only they don’t dry at all in this damp climate, so i have to use the dryer – for now. (it takes 3+ days to dry, if that…)

Canada is a possibility if the election goes south, although id rather somewhere european, i can reenstate my french citizanship as i have a french birth certificate…no, for now its Oregon. im keeping this under wraps from all but you all and my one friend there( not letting family in on it or anything as we riled everyone up for the move to AZ which was a bust, so when this eskrow closes and the one in OR closes we’ll tell everyone!!! hhahahaha im serious though. so shhhhh keep the lid on it for now k? ;0)

yeah this economic thing has me scratching my head in disbelief, ive been reading up on it like a fool and tell you what, im at a loss as to where the money went, i think its still there and they want more! so im against the bail out even though history showed that a bail out worked once before but at a lot less money borrowed….( the great depression) any how gotta go hose off the ponys its freaking HOT here an you can have it! i hate this place, horses grow their winter hair and it goe s to 96 with 98 percent humidity…..JESUS…sorry im a littel crnky with the heat and all! hope you guys are all well and happy!

Yeah, I’m confused about the economic thing, too. Oregon sounds nice. Don’t worry; if I see your mom, I’ll be sure not to let her know. ;) heehee

How’s everyone doing?

st – You still vacationing?

• OMG can you believe I was un-employed for almost 3 months…. hi guys hope everyone is doing wellllll…..........

Hi, st! How was your trip? I hope you get settled in soon. I know what you mean about not having it in you to write a book – people always like to tell me what they think I “should” do, but I am a mom, and doing too many things, I was an ornery mom, because I wasn’t getting the rest & everything else I needed. I don’t want to be an ornery mom, so I quit selling jewelry for now, and I am just a student and a mom. No raw recipe book, or classes, or getting paid to make raw food for my mom’s friend, etc. I love how people think they know what I should do. :) Nope, I’m not emailing that guy any more; I kept getting the feeling there was something creepy, or just “not quite right” – couldn’t put my finger on it, exactly, but I decided it was worth paying attention to and stopped emailing him. I went to a singles’ activity playing volleyball the other night, though, so I may make friends with some new people after all…School – I enjoyed it a lot more before I knew that the cute guy in my class wasn’t interested in me! :P No, actually, I’m really enjoying being in school. :) I have given up having raw company in the family. My dad went right back to fried chicken & Red Bull worse than ever once he got put back on day shifts, and now he has a hard time staying awake even during the day (before his raw experiment it was only in the evenings he would get drowsy), and it is very obvious he has a major thyroid problem. He is pre-diabetic, too, along with other health problems, and he knows the things I suggested are right/true, but he doesn’t do them. Poor man, he’s always had a problem treating himself well – doesn’t think he deserves it, I guess. Superman went crazy for cooked food after about three days of just raw, and I told him it needs to be done only if/when he wants to and is ready to eat raw. I feed him as healthy as I can & I’m not giving up the idea of sneaking in raw food wherever I can without his noticing. My mom is back to being frustrated trying to control my dad’s diet (not gonna happen – he calls on his way home, she says they’re having squash for dinner & he stops to buy fried chicken & then eats a little squash to make her happy, which just makes her mad…I am secretly pretty amused by the whole scenario) but she eats veggies more and meat less than she did previously, and she likes it when I leave her a little of my avocado chocolate pudding, although she’ll never pay for the ingredients & make it herself. :)

Berry! Ardes! Angie! Winona, HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! well the site still looks like an old typewriter document but at least i can access this thread! im done on the politico threads….but it was fun while i couldnt talk to you all!! ill try the down load thingy Berry but with my older mac, usually any download hits a snafu of some sort and i have to restart said mac!

Ardes glad you are back to employed….its a scarey time. My business jsut increased by three lessons a week, that equals $200 more big ones a week, phew as i was hardly being able to call what i do a job for the last 5 or so months!

Angie, volley ball is great fun! enjoy and i second what berry said about parents and things! I personally love cringeworthy family dynamics….always something to learn from them…i got a kick out of my grand parents relationship, pappaw would wink and push just the right buttons and mammaw would insult and flounce around!!! very fun, and predictable! more so for me im sure well and pappaw! teehee I wish therE where 36 hours in a day myself, hoping that a return to a seasonal climate affords me more time to explore the writing and my new hobby knitting…ive started my first project and of course its huge and a piece of clothing…my teacher jsut shook her head but if its practice i need then i think a project with lots of knitting is apres poi, nez pas? (Its all only one stitch( knitt stich nothing fancy but i cant wait to get it loking like something!!)

We are having fabulouse weather here to day, 70s and clouds with a nice brisk breeze! it will be 90 again by wednesday so i was out soaking up the cool all morning.

fire department comes back this week to recheck my fire hazard of a property so i have a team of yard comandos here wildly chopping raking and hauling….man for the land of the free there sure are alot of rules we are mandated to follow! wink wink

I took my beloved red eared slider turtle to his new home last week and i miss the little feller,he had gotten to the size of a softball and weighed a good pound or so . It was off to a lovely pond he went to live with two other turtles and some huge koi! his little friends the gold fish went to my friends place to live in her horses water tank….I dump mine out to much to have fishys in it!;0)

Berry, maybe i could write your life story!......then ill write mine! hhahahahahahha

I made raviolis the other night that where phenominal, ill post the recipe here as still cant on the site! i cheated and used rice wrapper for the wrapping, i tried using my jicama but couldnt get it thin enough to make me happy so i said screw it and mad eit with the thai wrappers…filling was macadamia nut cheese with garlic oregano and salt….then i made a nice pesto and a nice tomato basil sause…couldt make up my mind and hubby likes pesto better! how goes the uncooking raw friends? hugs and kisses to all!

I made raw coconut chocolate bars, and I figured out that it only cost me about $4.50 for a 1/4 inch thick, 4 inch square candy bar that was way better than Mounds. :)

om – Thanks for reminding me – I’ve made wrappers from young coconut meat (part of the “spring rawls” recipe on this site) that would work very well for ravioli – thanks for the idea! That sounds sooooooooo GOOD!

st – Yeah, thanks for the sympathy! :)

ardes – Glad you’re still around. So you’re employed again now, then?

1 part coconut oil

1 part raw cacao powder

Mix together well & then add:

1 part raw agave nectar

Mix again and stir in:

3 parts raw dried coconut shreds

Spread on a wax paper lined cookie sheet & freeze. (It sets up pretty well in maybe a couple of hours?)

The serving size I mentioned is one sixth of a batch that used 1 cup of each chocolate ingredient with three cups of coconut shreds. I should mention that it is only this cheap because I buy everything in bulk these days, and that it has to be eaten right out of the freezer, but it’s soooo worth it! :)

Hi guys! Angie the chocolate sounds devine…..ive been cutting way back on the expensive raw food thingys, im saving the last of my cocoa butter and such for the holidays….money is tighter than tight at them moment…i even returned all the yarn i bought for my first knitting project, and will pick up stuff as i go at micheals….the stuff i bought was 6.50 a ball and the stuff at micheals on sale for three something….se la vei!

Berry you have two hundred acres? wow can i come live unobtrusively on a corner of it in a yurt with all my pets? teehee, I make a heck of a mint julip and my fav especially in hot weather: mojitos! we can shell peas, knitt and tell lies!( i forgot about the hand fans from the funeral homes, granny always had a drawer full!!! god!!!hahahahhhahahaha big grin! Turtie, my ex turtle came from a water store he was the size of a silver dollar and was swimming around a tiny fish bowl by the cash register, it didnt seem right…so home he came to a giant aquariam then outside to a retired horse trough with plants and fish! i now currently have 4 horses, 4 dogs, one out door kitty, 10 chickens ( only two grown up ones) one parakeet and a pair of finches….two of the horses may have to go, one for sure as i need cash for all the crap that county is on me for on this property i live on.( i dont want to sound callus about the horse sales, it kills me but i have one that was purchased for resale just didnt want to do it so soon the other three are all babies ive had for years( 12, 9 and three years with me respectively ) horse number four has been here under 4 months) As for the three acre hell pit i reside on…. its a long story so we shall just chalk it up to lesson learned! I should have known better as i am a round peg square hole person…..and if i find things a challenge im usually all over it….this place fit the bill to a tee and now ill be selling it or at least hope to sell it in this crazy economy for a major loss! dramatic sigh….oh well its stuff ya hafta ta do for peace of mind, your marriage and to stave off bankrupsy right? an observation i recently made? Ca is all f*#$ed up…i dont beleive ill be back after i leave here. ever. Latest example of Ca being all f@#$ed up: fire department says, clear your land of all brush and flamable foliage or we will fine you, environmental department says, dont clear brush you are destryoing habitat for the coastal sage dwellig gnat catcher, we will fine you, planning department says, you graded? plant this much foliage to avoid soil erotion or we will fine you, then the green department says here are free trees plant these next to your house to keep it cool so you dont have to use your air cond as much this summer and stave off the energy crisis. water well for good healthy growth then water dist says, you know we are under water restrictions this month through december due to fire danger, if you water we will fine you…...AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGH! and im not making it up…..

not to worry ill keep everyone posted as to my where abouts, i still think about luna blu as well berry! funny how its like a little family on our little thread all started by that date monger zooey! teehee well i see my sunrise and have to go watch it…. have a glorious day everyone im gonna fight like hell to have mine!!! xoxo

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi everyone! I occasionally read this thread, it seems like the raw in the uk thread i write on a little. but OMG I am shocked at the fine’s section of Omshanti’s last post! Don’t these people/departments ever talk to one another! gulp.

ah , spring leaf( shakes head sadly) that would require accountability, common sence and good old fashioned desire to a good job….all traits im sure county employees here in SD are screened for, that is, if they possess any of these they are certainly not hired! grin! the bastards! anyhoo my experiences on this property alone would fill several chapters in my book i intend to write one day! and i will not be changeing names to protect the innocent where county is concerned!!!1 hurumph! hope every one had a great day , i have a new student with a bull fighting horse form mexico and i love it!!! the owner is a dear as well….makes me love my job!!! nighty night!

om – Sorry about your horse situation! :( And California sounds like such a FINE place to live; I can’t imagine why anyone would ever leave! :D As for money, ooooh, yeah – I’m finding ways to eat cheaper now, too. I’m fortunate to still have a pound or two of raw cacao, though, so I’m going to enjoy it – actually, it’s more like medicine for me, and I’ll probably have to keep cacao & young coconuts in the budget under the “healthcare” category. :P That would be great, if only my healthcare budget could magically expand. ;)

Due to needing to make cheaper food, half of my kitchen is now filled with bowls & jars & trays of stuff sprouting & soaking, and the dehydrator is constantly running these days. In my quest to save money, I discovered that I can make a whole dehydrator tray full of wheat & barley breadsticks for around $1.50 – I may begin eating a batch a day! :)

om has proof of life after death & something else I forget at the moment; I have proof that God has a sense of humor. I was looking at the possibility of getting a job after this semester instead of continuing my education, and I came to realize that I would have very little money for food (i.e. not enough to eat healthy). I was so frustrated with school at the time, that I said to my friend that I would rather get a job & eat bugs to survive, than to keep going to school! (And I meant it – I thought) The next day, I was eating my lunch at school, which included broccoli from my garden. I had eaten half of it & went to pour sauce on the rest, when I noticed bugs in my broccoli! Free bugs, which I had said only the night before that I would eat in order to get away from school, grossed me out so much that I threw the rest of the broccoli away. :P Since I had been praying for wisdom & guidance in making the decision, I realized this was probably an answer to those prayers, in a way that I couldn’t misunderstand! :D

Angie, God indeed has a sence of humor!!! when you get tired of eating your home grown bugs give these a try… i order spices and tea from these folks all the time, man talk about making due and eating local, maybe more people in the world wouldnt be starving if they looked around at what was available…..urp!

http://importfood.com/thai_insects.html

Okay, what happened to my post?! I responded earlier & it’s gone. :( Oh, well – thanks for the link – I think? A 3 1/2 inch long bug that locals love to eat for a snack? A plate of cooked & seasoned insects? Yikes! I couldn’t even stand the thought of the near-microsopic ones in my broccoli – can’t imagine what I’d do if I could actually taste & feel the things in my mouth…You are a sick woman, om!

angie: GRIN….thought youde likey! no? oh well, i never ate a bug on purpose but have found worms in my guavas and have snarfed down an occational gnat whilst rideing the beasties! ive picked interesting things out of salad sometimes and just keep on a eating, part of growing up overseas i guess and not to mention RV living…once as a kid on a band trip into the deepest jungles of la republica dominicana i ate some fried chicken( well it looked like chicken…) deep fried feathers and all… there where at least two whole, pin feathers on it and some broken ones…they made a good tooth pick…..i know i know , there has got to be something wrong with me! teehee you know whats funny. i throw away bran and barley that i feed my horses if i find one “croder” in it ( a crow-der is anything creapy crawly according to my friend rogers swede english….. ;0) )

as an aside, my neighbors kiddy corner to me are having some sort of live band mosh pit thingy going on and its after 10pm to call the police or not….anyone?

our little thread has dropped to page two! unacceptable! ;) jsut wanted to share with you the joys of hanging out washing… I finally got hubby to put up my clothes dryer out side…no simple one strand of wire this, oh no i had to by a giant roundish one on a pole. It took a little doing to get it up but ive been happiy hanging my wash out on it ever since! Im not sure if its the birds singing or the breeze or the sun but even yesterday AM when it was 48 degrees and i had damp laundry stacked up around my ears i still enjoyed the whole hanging out process…i love the way it smells! im even getting used to the slight scratchyness….dryers are overrated! i may change my tune when i move to a frostier climate but you know for now its great and i love hanging out my clothes and sheets and things! hhope all is well with you all, we are having some crazy fires out here! two friends and thei r critters evacuated so far…my trailer at the ready….rain cant get here soon enough!

Evacuating, huh? That IS crazy! Best of luck for a quick fire put-outage. :)

Yeah, I came to keep the thread going – I’ve been crazy still trying to catch up with school after being sick. Today I went & took two tests, and I only have two more small assignments to do – and one of them isn’t even late yet! :P No school tomorrow, cuz it’s fall break, so I’m going to play volleyball tonight. Which really means I’ll hang out with a bunch of other single people and WATCH volleyball. :D haha! I am tall & thin, so people assume I am somehow athletic. Come on, you need muscles & coordination for that sort of thing, people! :P

friends ,help! can you all sit with me while i bawl for a bit…..im having a low day …a really low day! ive had 2 glasses of wine and licked the pan clean that had poem moms brownies in it…. the rest of them still in the D…I came home after a day where ive lost yet anther client, she is in dire straits and may be loosing her home, her ponys and her lifestyle….and a client and friend whos husband walzed in and told her yesterday that they are on”seperate paths” then walked out with no other explination….. Im so so so so so sad, and yes i know the wine( a depresant) isnt helping…..but god! when will this end? so many peoples lifes are falling apart, Mine included…what the hell gives here? what is wrong with this world? what is wrong with this life….im lost guys, lost…...thanks for listening! i cant find my hapy place…..sorry to dump…..

om – Raw Brownies sound like a good thing for you right now! I am so sorry! Life is crazy. It gets crazy for everyone at some point, and even crazier at other times – I know, I’m probably not helping. :P Just wanted to let you know you’re really not alone! I have to cry a lot every so often, because of all the crazy things that happen to people, over which I of course have no control! Love you, sweetie. :)

sweet Berry and friend angie, thank you so much for the kindness, im grateful for it. ill be alright….and most likely my dear friends here who are suffering as well. When i figure out how not to get overwhelmed by it all ill write a book…teehee. there was a beautiful quote on the thread for Moth( sweet gal) that described a clay pot being formed…it gave me comfort as well. When i look back on the last eight years of my life the analogy helps make sence of it all. I think Sanity is very fine line…..;0) breathing deeply this m orning and getting ready for my yoga tape…..Poemmoms brownies still not done!!!ugh but i keep sampling to make sure (big grin) anyhoo, you guys are the best…i bow to your generous spirits and empathetic natures…..hugs my friends….big warm hugs! thank you

I am eating the most delicious raw fajitas!

om – Hope you are well :)

I have to go – I’m starting a backpacking class this afternoon. More later :)

Hey, how’s it going, everyone? I am almost caught up in school after missing more than a week of classes with bronchitis a few weeks ago. I am staying raw, too! Last fall when I was super stressed with school, I went back to eating a lot of cooked food, & I became less able to handle stress, & everything got worse – ending up with my trip to ICU that you guys know about just after the school year ended. So a few weeks ago, I hadn’t been eating enough, and not enough of the right things, and I ended up eating meat to make up for the nutrition I had been missing. I didn’t like to – it made me sad that I got to having to eat meat. I guess I’ve become vegetarian-minded. Anyway, I realized that if I eat enough greens, I never need to eat meat. So I started loading up on greens again after that, and I took a supplement for a while, to make up for the missing nutrients without eating any more meat. To get enough calories, I started making & taking a backpack full of food to school with me. Now I always have food with me at school, and I leave books home. :D I drink a lot of water, too, so I often have water bottles in the pockets on the sides of my backpack, and I carry a third one. I wonder what people think. ;) I saw a guy on the bus carrying a gallon jug of water to school with him, so I may start doing that – yesterday, I took two quarts of water and a quart of young coconut water, and I drank another quart of water from the drinking fountain, and I was still thirsty by the time I got home at night. :P

I’m excited about my backpacking class! I have been wanting to learn about & possibly get into backpacking for a few years, and now I get to – we’re going on a three-day trip the first weekend in December. :)

Where are you other mangers? I’m feeling left alone in mange land. :)