Raw chocolate shortbread bars
Prep Time10 min
Total Time1 hour 10 min
Shelf Life1 week in freezer
Rating5/5 (from 27 ratings)5
Yield1 pan bars
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1. Process: Place all shortbread ingredients in the food processor. Process until the mixture sticks together and the dates are well processed.
- 2. Dump shortbread mixture into your pan. Press the crust down firmly in your dish with your hands. (Shortbread base is now done.)
- 3. Blend: Place all chocolate mixture ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth.
- 4. Pour/deposit chocolate mixture on top of shortbread, similar to pouring icing on brownies. Smooth with the back of a spoon.
- 5. Freeze: Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Always store these in the freezer.
- 6. Eat! I like to slice a frozen piece, then let the slice thaw out on the counter for 15 minutes or so.
The Rawtarian's ThoughtsBy The Rawtarian
These are freezer bars. I tend to make them in a square baking dish.
if you're having trouble getting the chocolate mixture to blend properly, turn your high-speed blender off and insert a spatula down one side to let a pocket of air down near the blades. Then remove the spatula, put the lid back on and continue blending--going from slow all the way up to fast again.
You must use the coconut oil in this recipe. It's what makes the chocolatey mixture thicken in the freezer.
These raw chocolate shortbread bars call for a lot of lemon juice, but that's the secret ingredient that makes the chocolate taste a bit more zingy (like chocolate cheesecake) rather than just like pure chocolate. This gives the chocolate a deeper dimension and more of an adult flavour.
These bars need to be stored in the freezer.
I am addicted to these right now. Serve them with thawed raspberries thrown on top = dreamy!
- This recipe is very low in Calories, Carbohydrates, and Sodium.
- This recipe is a noteworthy source of Iron.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
FREE Raw Recipe Package
Subscribe to newsletter below. Get the 11 Best Raw Recipes (PDF E-Book Package) instantly.
The Rawtarian Recipes
- Raw Dessert Recipes
- Smoothie, Juice And Breakfast Recipes
- Raw Savory Recipes
- Raw-Nut-Free Recipes
- Raw Dehydrator Recipes