2 cups buckwheat groats (soaked for at least one hour)
½ cup maple syrup or agave (add more if you prefer this sweeter)
2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder (can use regular)
1 tablespoon vanilla (can use 1 teaspoon)
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Rinse buckwheat well after soaking and allow to drain.
2. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until the consistency of liquidy oatmeal--do not thoroughly puree.
3. Spread onto two or more lined dehydrator trays about 1/8 inch thick or so.
4. Dehydrate at 115°F for 4-8 hours until the top is dry to the touch and you can peel the teflex easily.
5. Remove from dehydrator and flip the whole thing over by placing a screened tray over the buckwheaties. Peel away teflex and place back into the dehydrator for 8 or more hours, until it is completely dry and crunchy.
6. Break into pieces and store in glass airtight containers or keep in fridge.
Devachal's ThoughtsBy devachal
I modified this recipe from the wonderful raw food book, Raw Food, Real World, by Mathew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis.
I cut down on the sweetener and salt and did not add the stevia recommended in the recipe.
This is supposed to stay good for weeks but mine never last that long! Feel free to explore using different spices, such as cinnamon or nutmeg!
This cereal is amazing with vanilla Brazil nut milk. I will try to post a picture of these soon!
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
jackfruitBlue_Eyes - 15 hours 48 min ago
Crazy health devices?pjotrl - 2 days 9 hours ago
4th day as a Vegan:)ClaireT - 3 days 9 hours ago
My coconut has been refrigerated for 2 days from clear to purple?ClaireT - 3 days 9 hours ago
Please boycott bee pollen!matthewr - 3 days 14 hours ago