1 or 2 large yams
Celtic sea salt
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel the yam (AKA remove outer brown skin). Using a carrot peeler works great.
2. Slice the yam into THIN SLICES using a MANDOLIN SLICER. This is a finicky recipe and it will only work if you use a mandolin slicer. You are making thin chips here. YAM CHIPS DO NOT WORK OR TASTE GOOD UNLESS THEY ARE THINLY SLICED, LIKE A THIN POTATO CHIP. DO NOT CHOP THEM LIKE FRIES, THEY WON'T DEHYDRATE PROPERLY IF YOU DO THAT. Sorry for yelling at you but it's true :)
3. Place sliced yam slices onto a dehydrator sheet covered with parchment paper (do not put oil or salt or anything on the yam slices.)
4. Dehydrate! Dehydrate on high for one hour, then reduce heat to 115 degrees. Dehydrate until they are dry, they will curl up and look like this photo. You will know that they are ready once they are crispy!
5. Before eating, place chips in a ziploc bag. Sprinkle a tiny bit of olive oil (add way less than you think you will need, it only takes like, a tiny splash to coat them well and you don't want to over-oil them) in the sac. Shake and squish a bit inside the sac to distribute the oil. Once the oil is well distributed on the raw yam chips, add a bit of sea salt and any other flavoring that you like (like dill or onion powder or whatever).
Eat immediately! They don't keep well once you've seasoned them with the oil and spices, so... eat immediately.
The Rawtarian's Thoughts
Raw yam chips are a nice alternative to kale chips.
The hardest part about this raw yam chips recipe is owning a mandoline slicer. If you do not have one put it on your to-buy list for the next time you go to a big box store, like Wal-Mart or Target. They are inexpensive. I just bought mine recently for $19. I am so glad I bought one and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!
A common mistake when making raw yam chips is:
1. Not cutting thin enough (Must use mandoline slicer!)
2. Adding the oil and stuff BEFORE dehydrating (DO NOT DO THIS!)
Your raw recipe package has been sent to your email
Be sure to check your spam or bulk mail folders if you can't find your package. Enjoy your raw adventure!