How To Make Sprouts in a Jar
Do you love eating fresh, green alfalfa sprouts? You can easily make them at home. And they are so cheap to make!
Let me explain how to grow sprouts (for example, alfalfa sprouts or lentil sprouts) at home using only a mason jar, some cheesecloth and sproutable seeds.
- 1. Get a large clear mason jar (will hold approximately 3 cups water.)
- 2. Place two tablespoons dry sproutable seeds inside jar. (Example of seed types: alfalfa seeds, clover seeds, quinoa seeds, etc.)
- 3. Add 2 cups cold water.
- 4. Cut a piece of cheesecloth into a small round circle - about the size of a big hamburger bun. Place round cheesecloth on top of jar.
- 5. Secure cheesecloth with the metal ring that came with the jar. (You don't need the round disc that also came with the lid. Discard it.)
- 6. Let sprouts soak like this on the counter for 8-24 hours.
- 7. After soaking for 8-24 hours, take jar to sink. Tip it over, drain all water out into sink. (You do not need to remove lid. Cheesecloth acts as strainer.)
- 8. Get a medium bowl. Place jar upside down inside cereal jar, leaning a bit to the side. (So that any excess drips will collect in cereal jar but the jar can still "breathe.")
- 9. Throw a teatowel or cloth over the jar, so it's in the dark. Let sit for 24 hours.
- 10. After 24 hours, remove cloth. Your sprouts should be starting to grow! Take jar to sink. Add 2 cups cold water, then drain immediately. (The point is to moisten the sprouts a bit.)
- 11. Replace in bowl, similar to last time. Cover again with tea towel. Let sit for another 24 hours.
- 12. After waiting another 24 hours, remove cloth again. Your sprouts should be getting big! Take jar to sink. Add 2 cups cold water, then drain immediately. (The point is to moisten the sprouts a bit.) Let sit for another 24 hours.
- 13. Your sprouts are now ready, or close to being ready!
Eat immediately. Feel free to let them grow for another 24 hours or so. (If you ever want them to stop growing, just put the whole jar in the fridge.)
FREE Raw Recipe Package
Subscribe to newsletter below. Get the 11 Best Raw Recipes (PDF E-Book Package) instantly.
The Rawtarian Recipes
- Raw Dessert Recipes
- Smoothie, Juice And Breakfast Recipes
- Raw Savory Recipes
- Raw-Nut-Free Recipes
- Raw Dehydrator Recipes