To listen to the podcast click on the photo/play button above or save the MP3 to your own computer.
In this episode of The Raw Food Podcast I share a simple to understand concept of what protein is and where you can get proteins in a plant-based, vegan diet.
In short, yes, you can get enough protein from a plant-based diet!
- 1/4 cup almonds = 15 grams protein
- 1/4 cup walnuts = 7.5 grams protein
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds = 7 grams protein
- 1/4 cup cashews = 5 grams protein
- 1/4 cup pecans = 2.5 grams protein
- 1/4 cup medjool dates = 2 grams protein
- 4 tablespoons of hempseed hearts = 15 grams protein
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds = 4 grams protein
- 1 cup raw kale = 2 grams protein
- 1 cup raw broccoli = 2 grams protein
- 1 cup raw spinach = 1 gram protein (1 cup cooked spinach = 7.6 grams protein)
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts = 1 gram protein
The recommendation for protein for adult female vegans is around 46-58 grams per day.
The recommendation for protein for adult male vegans is around 56-70 grams per day.
Book: The China Study by T. Colin Campbell (Scientific study comparing animal-based versus plant-based proteins)