Rating4/5 (from 5 ratings)4
2 large avocados
4 nori sheets
3 cups hemp seeds (shelled)
1/2 cup agave (plus extra for the ginger)
Red wine vinegar (other types of vinegar may work just as well)
Fresh ginger (as much as you want)
Wasabi/horseradish (as much as you want)
Nama shoyu (as much as you want)
Any other fillings you like (Some that I have used: cucumber, broccoli, sprouts, bell pepper, eggplant, spinach, kale, tomato)
1. Peel the ginger and cut it into very thin pieces. Marinate in one part agave and one part vinegar for no less than 3 hours (the longer, the better.)
2. Mix 1/2 cup agave with 3 cups hemp seeds until distributed evenly throughout. This will be your "sticky rice." Add more agave if necessary.
3. Lay out a nori sheet shiny side down and spread about 1/4 of the hemp "rice" you've made evenly across the sheet. Leave about 2 centimeters uncovered at the bottom edge.
4. Cut half an avocado into long pieces and lay them out horizontally across the middle. Add strips of any other fillings you want. Be creative!
5. If you do not have a sushi mat (I don't), start from the top and carefully roll the nori tightly with your hands. Wet your fingers and apply a small amount water to the edge you left blank. This will allow you to seal your roll. Repeat this process until you have 4 rolls made.
6. Then cut them up into 6 pieces each, and serve with wasabi/horseradish, ginger, and nama shoyu. : )
Alexa.'s ThoughtsBy alexa.
Sushi has always been my favorite food pre-raw. Especially avocado sushi!
So I was determined to recreate it in a familiar way.
I have never seen hemp used in a raw vegan recipe as an alternative to rice (perhaps because it's quite expensive) but the taste and the appearance are wonderfully similar, and it's great for you!
These could not have been more successful at satisfying my craving.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
stretch marks...MarioG33 - 15 hours 53 min ago
Has anyone ever woke up with a rancid taste in their mouth and had it last all day?ClaireT - 1 day 20 hours ago
Very Dry, Straw-like Hair :(pauliasmith6745 - 5 days 5 hours ago
Family food and raw foodcelinew - 5 days 8 hours ago
Really Dry Skinpauliasmith6745 - 5 days 11 hours ago