Rating4.2/5 (from 5 ratings)4.2
YieldAbout 10 servings
¾ cup almonds and walnuts (any ratio you like)
¾ cup coconut (shredded)
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
10 dates (soaked)
½ cup almond butter
1 tablespoon agave nectar or sweetener of choice (try to use a lighter colored one)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut oil
½ cup cacao powder
1/3 cup dates (soaked)
Agave nectar to taste (maybe around a teaspoon)
1. Process the nuts into crumbs.
2. Add the coconut, cacao, and dates and process until it makes the consistency you like for a crust.
3. Press into the bottom of a container. This layer should be just under 1 centimeter thick.
4. In a small bowl, stir together almond butter, vanilla, and agave until smooth.
5. Add this mixture on top of the crust. This layer should be a little thinner. You may need to wet your fingers and press it in to get it to stick.
6. Process the dates, cacao, and agave. This should make a thick frosting.
7. Spread across the other two layers. Again, you might need to wet your fingers to spread on top.
8. Best when chilled in refrigerator for a few hours.
Pandaonacupcake's ThoughtsBy pandaonacupcake
Nanaimo Bars are a delicious three-layered confection that originated in Nanaimo, British Columbia.
They are super rich, and usually made with tons of butter, sugar, and eggs. You can easily find these at coffee shops/Tim Horton’s/etc in Canada.
This is my first attempt at making a raw version, and they turned out pretty well.
The two outer layers are chocolaty, and the middle is usually a sweet custardy filling. Some places add mint or coffee flavoring here, but in this recipe, the almond butter makes it almost like an almond Nanaimo bar.
I put this recipe into three small containers, so I stuck one in the freezer to see how that is. I think with the hot weather, it might be a good way to cool off!
Layer 3 (below) is supposed to be a chocolate frosting. While it’s pretty good, if you have your own recipe for it, I would love to hear an alternate version.
Note: All measurements are approximate. Feel free to adapt the recipe as you make it if you like it sweeter, more bitter, etc.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
You do not have any notes. Add some here. Notes are private and are only visible to you.Add New Note
Sunbathingbiya123 - 8 hours 49 min ago
Neti to quit smoking - Jala NetiDavid - 12 hours 28 min ago
Really Dry SkinDavid - 12 hours 38 min ago
Buy real and fake driver's license online (https://www.fastdocuments.net/)ndcenterdiploma - 14 hours 48 min ago
New hobby threadalisafrost - 1 day 7 hours ago