Rating5/5 (from 3 ratings)5
YieldMakes about twelve 3-inch nori rolls cut in thirds or twenty four 1-inch sushi rolls cut in thirds, then the thirds cut in half
1 small celeriac root (skin peeled, julienned)
1 small beetroot (skin peeled, julienned)
½ cup kale (thinly sliced)
½ avocado (cut lengthwise into thin slices)
¼ cup red onion (thin strips)
1 rosemary sprig (remove leaves)
3 raw nori sheets
1. Wash vegetables well.
2. Cut kale into thin strips. Julienne beetroot and celeriac. Cut avocado in half. Reserve one-half for another use.
3. Cut avocado lengthwise into ½ inch strips. Cut red onion into thin strips and separate shards. Remove rosemary leaves from sprig.
ASSEMBLE USING A SUSHI MAT
3. Lay sushi mat on a dry, flat surface. Place 1 nori sheet on the mat with the shiniest side down and the longest edge coming right to the bottom edge of the sushi mat.
4. One inch up from the edge of the nori horizontally lay julienne celeriac and beetroot, some kale strips, a single line of red onions and rosemary leaves across nori roll.
5. Starting from the edge closest to you, roll the sushi mat away from you, around the vegetables. Use your fingers to wrap the nori tightly around the vegetables.
6. When the leading edge of the mat completes the first roll and touches the vegetables, stop, and pull the leading edge of the mat up. Use your fingers to keep the nori roll tight.
7. Using the small bowl of water, moisten this end with water using your fingertips or a pastry brush. If using a bamboo mat, tightly around the nori roll and gently squeeze the roll with your hands several times to ensure a tight roll. Gently tuck any vegetables that are sticking out at either end of the roll.
WITHOUT SUSHI MAT
8. Lay raw nori sheet on a cutting board or clean, dry, flat surface. One inch up from the edge of the nori horizontally lay julienne celeriac and beetroot, some kale strips, a single line of red onions and rosemary leaves across nori roll.
9. Starting from the edge closest to you, take the edge of the nori roll, begin rolling away from you, around the vegetables. Use your fingers to wrap the nori tightly around the vegetables and continue rolling until you reach the uncovered edge of the nori.
10. Using the small bowl of water, moisten this end with water using your fingertips or a pastry brush. Roll tightly and squeeze gently to secure edges. Gently tuck any vegetables that are sticking out at either end of the roll.
11. Immediate serving: Wet the blade of a well-sharpened knife. Cut the nori roll into desired sizes or keep it whole. Cut in half then cut the half in half. I cut the roll in thirds to get 3 nice size pieces.
12. Arrange nori rolls on a plate and serve with a dipping sauce.
13. If preparing in advance: Store prepared nori rolls in an airtight container. Cut just before serving.
Nyuszi's ThoughtsBy Nyuszi
Not your ordinary nori roll. Pictured with Winter Nori Roll is Sesame Orange Dipping Sauce.
PREP: 20 Minutes
TOTAL: 25 Minutes
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Can I use fresh shredded coconut instead of the dry one?anewme - 1 hour 6 min ago
Is it possible to be raw on a college budget???veggie - 1 day 21 hours ago
Nut allergyveggie - 1 day 21 hours ago
Parasite Cleansealexbro - 2 days 7 hours ago
Best Juicer?jerocarson - 2 days 8 hours ago