Rating5/5 (from 1 ratings)5
Yield1 cookie sheet, to be cut into bars
2 cups macadamia nuts
¾ cup almonds (either soaked or not)
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup dates (pitted)
Some lemon zest
4 granny smith apples (peeled, cored, sliced into blendable sizes)
¾ cup lemon juice
Zest from 2 lemons
¾ cup honey (agave can be too watery)
3 tablespoons psyllium husk powder or other thickener
¾ cup coconut oil (gently melted)
1. Blend up the crust ingredients until mixture starts sticking together.
2. You can grind the sesame seeds separately beforehand in a coffee grinder if you want a smoother crust consistency, or omit them and use more of the other nuts.
3. Puree the apples, lemon juice, zest, and honey in a food processor until very smooth. Adjust taste by adding more sweetener or lemon juice (apple cider vinegar works wonders in small quantities). Add the psyllium or other thickener.
4. Gently melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture, blending slowly. Sometimes the coconut oil will start to harden and separate out (if the apple mixture is too cold)—in that case, I gently warm the whole mix until it’s warm enough to keep the coconut oil melted. It just needs to be liquid long enough to mix in properly.
5. Press the crust onto the bottom of a cookie sheet with edges (sesame seeds sprinkled in the pan beforehand can help the crust to not stick).
6. Spread topping evenly on top.
7. Chill until topping feels more firm. Cut into bars and try to save some for later!
Sunshinerose's ThoughtsBy sunshinerose
I have never been able to escape my craving for a good rich tart lemon bar, so I came up with a live version that’s even more satisfying than the original.
The sour apples and light tangy lemon flavor combine to make a really irresistible treat!
This recipe’s still in progress, so you may need to tweak it this way or that to get it just right for your taste.
I still haven’t gotten to the camera fast enough to catch an image of these elusive bars. Maybe soon.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
You do not have any notes. Add some here. Notes are private and are only visible to you.Add New Note