Rating4.8/5 (from 4 ratings)4.75
Yield2 small side dishes
2 medium artichokes
1 dash olive oil
1 dash salt and pepper
1. Prepare a lemon-water bath by squeezing the juice of 1/2 lemon into a bowl of cold water and tossing in the peel. Through each stage of cleaning and trimming, return the artichokes to the bath to prevent them from browning.
2. Discard the tough, dark-green outer leaves of each artichoke by bending them back and snapping them off, until you reach the pale-yellow inner leaves.
3. With a vegetable peeler, peel the stem and remove the fibrous green base around the bottom of the artichoke. A little stem is okay, just as long as it isn’t tough.
4. After the artichokes have been peeled, slice about an inch off the tops. All the leaf that remains should be yellow, not green. Slice artichokes in half lengthwise, and remove any sign of a fuzzy choke with a small spoon. Thinly slice artichokes lengthwise.
5. Dress generously with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Starjen42's ThoughtsBy starjen42
For those wondering how you can eat a raw artichoke, you sure can! They’re pleasantly crunchy and fresh.
It’s hard to throw away all those leaves, but you’ve really got to get down to the center few leaves. I threw them into my compost, but if you aren’t 100% raw, you could probably save them and steam them for another time.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
You do not have any notes. Add some here. Notes are private and are only visible to you.Add New Note
FRUITARIAN!!!!loverlyjoy - 7 min 54 sec ago
Sick when eating cooked foodloverlyjoy - 19 min 19 sec ago
Winter! Raw till four???? Advice!!! Weight gain?Harmony1 - 3 days 10 hours ago
Is bagged salads raw vegan?Harmony1 - 3 days 10 hours ago
Tryin AgainTammiTrue - 1 week 2 days ago