Rating5/5 (from 2 ratings)5
Artisana raw coconut butter (melted)
1 cup dates (scant cup works too)
1 tablespoon raw almond butter (or other seed/nut butter)
1 tablespoon raw coconut butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1 .In a blender (or food processor) add 1/4 cup water and dates and blend to a thick paste.
2. Add in 1 tablespoon coconut butter, 1 tablespoon almond butter, and sea salt. Taste as you add.
3. Store in a glass jar and refrigerate, or freeze to chill. Best to use after it's chilled, but will also work right away.
TO ASSEMBLE CUPS
4. Fill mini-muffin liners with a small layer of coconut butter (1/4 inch). Stick in the freezer for a few minutes until solid.
5. Scoop 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling into the center of cups and smooth it out. Make sure to leave space around the edges.
6. Refreeze for another minute if the bottom layer starts to melt.
7. Fill in the top and the edges with another layer of coconut butter, and freeze until the top hardens. They are now ready to eat. If you leave in the freezer until really solid, you can let thaw for a moment before biting into them, but I like the hard shell.
Krisha's ThoughtsBy Krisha
In place of raw chocolate-covered cups I'd been making, I thought I'd try to create a recipe using a coconut butter shell. I love how fast they are to make, the fact that there is no added sweetener, and they still taste this great.
Similar to eating dates covered in coconut butter, but only better and has an almost chocolate-like mouth feel.
Even if you don't like dates on their own, you may like them in the filling as it's great on it's own, especially after being chilled.
Variation: Add the seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean for delicious vanilla coconut cups. Also try dividing the mixture and adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or ginger to spice things up.
Note: Even if you don't have a blender, the filling can be made by mashing ingredients together on a plate with a fork.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.