Rating5/5 (from 1 ratings)5
1 cup Medjool dates (pitted)
1 cup water (approximately)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1. Chop up dates and soak them in just enough water to cover the top of the dates.
2. Soak overnight. Or soak for at least three hours. Soaking is not required, but I get the best results for my date syrup/paste when I do soak.
3. After soaking, mash (or blend) the soaked dates with a fork till they are as mushed as possible.
4. Place the sloppy mashed date pulp into a straining bag of sorts and squeeze all of the syrup out. If you blend the dates and water in a really good blender, there really won’t be a need to strain the syrup. You can use as is.
5. At this point, you can eat or use as is. (The date and water mixture is shown in the picture.)
5. Or at this time, you could add cinnamon, vanilla and cinnamon, or cacao powder. Add more water and cacao powder for a nice chocolate syrup. The options and uses for date syrup is truly unlimited.
SimplyRaw's ThoughtsBy SimplyRaw
This was originally posted somewhere else. I have added the vanilla and cinnamon to it.
Depending on how much water you have put in, it will come out like a syrup. If more water was added, it's like sugar water. If you’d like a thicker syrup, you can add less water to the initial soaking period and stir dates occasionally, or finely blend some of the soaked strained pulp with some water and add that.
Some people use dates and water with a pinch of sea salt.
For those looking to substitute the use of agave and/or maple syrup.
I was not aware of how much we are affecting the bat population by our use of agave, until recently. It is the main food source for nectar bats.
Victoria J. has posted a thread about agave nectar and bat populations.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
You do not have any notes. Add some here. Notes are private and are only visible to you.Add New Note
Long-distance BackPacking RAWAngie2 - 2 days 15 hours ago
Mushrooms and rotten eggs burpsEnergy Healer - 2 days 17 hours ago
Low income raw living?Energy Healer - 2 days 17 hours ago
Going Back To RawEnergy Healer - 2 days 17 hours ago
How do I make a raw, alcohol free, vanilla extract?Angie2 - 3 days 10 hours ago