Rating5/5 (from 2 ratings)5
Meat from 1 brown coconut (chopped)
2 handfuls of almonds soaked overnight or more (I used a 100 gram bag)
Handful of sweet dried cherries (chopped into small pieces)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons raw sugar (or any other sweetener)
3 tablespoons cacao nibs
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Blend 1/2 the coconut meat in a blender or food processor.
2. Strain coconut cream through a strainer or cheesecloth. Separate in bowl.
3. Blend half the coconut cream with 1/2 the almonds, cacao nibs, honey, raw sugar, and maca and carob (Quantity depends how intense you want your chocolate flavor. Taste and see as you go along!) in the blender until smooth.
4. Strain into the remaining coconut milk and stir. Taste. It should taste strong of the cacao nibs and yet subtly sweet and creamy.
5. Chop the dried cherries and put half into the mix. Peel the rest of the almonds and chop into small bits.
6. Mix with a teaspoon of cacao nibs and the rest of the chopped cherries. Set aside in fridge for later.
7. Add the vanilla, then place the creamy mix in the freezer in a tub and stir every half hour to hour. Basically just scrape away the ice forming on the edges. Keep it slushy.
8. Once frozen, stick in the food processor until creamy. Add half of the almond/cherry chop you saved in the fridge as it processes.
9. Then serve onto plates of chopped banana (optional!) and sprinkle with the remainder of the almond/cherry/cacao chopped mix.
Kerrycv's ThoughtsBy Kerrycv
Yummy variation of many raw choco ice cream recipes out there.
For me, the dried sweet cherries and almonds rounded it off. It's pretty simple to make. You just need the patience for it to freeze.
No ice-cream maker needed, though I’m sure if you have one, it will work even better. I also read that cooling it in the fridge for the first hour helps the ‘creaminess’.
I can’t find young coconuts here in Peru, just the brown ones, which worked fine.
All measurements are approximate--taste as you go!
This is definitely a lower-fat ice cream, if you want it creamier try using the whole coconut (I only used half. Saving the other half for pineapple basil ice cream!).
I first processed the coconut, and then blended with just enough water to cover the meat and blend. I used the last batch of soak water from the almonds and some brown rice soak water. Warm water seems to help extract the fat.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
You do not have any notes. Add some here. Notes are private and are only visible to you.Add New Note
Feeding baby...simonaw - 37 min 27 sec ago
Help regarding endometriosis painClaireT - 1 day 20 hours ago
Why am I suddenly getting headaches?ClaireT - 6 days 5 hours ago
Im having some problems...how do I do this?itsmetoya - 1 week 2 days ago
What You Ate Todayitsmetoya - 1 week 2 days ago